Mod Ren'Py Completed The Fate of Irnia - Winterlook - Waifu 2X Upscaled

TIGER ACE

Jan 9, 2019
FOI_waifu2x_art_noise2_scale.png

Overview:
Used Waifu 2X Ersgan to upscale the images, After trying Stellar Dreams which is great, I wanted to replay this old gem which looks very dated by now.
Just uploading in case some one wanted or just for future I guess. I only 2x the upscale because its enough to make the images look better, had to resize the images once done because Renpy doesnt fit to screen, I have used the upscale on other games it really works best with 2D art games, the 3D renders dont always work.​

Updated: 2023-10-02
Game/Creator: The Fate Of Irnia
Modder:Me
Mod Version:1.0
Game Version:1.0
Language:English

Features:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Installation:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Download: - -

beatrice_kiss.jpg dabna_slave_bj4.jpg death_romance_bedtalk.jpg miriam_castle_romance_a_breakfast.jpg fourp_route_romance_after_breakfast_chambers_bj2.jpg sandy_bar_bj.jpg succubus_cow1.jpg miriambeatrice3p_romance_bedtalk.jpg

Last edited:

professorx10

Game Developer
Jul 22, 2018
So, if I understand this, what you've done is just run the images of the game through an 'upscaler' program to make them look more modern/better?
what exactly does this " Waifu 2X Ersgan " do? and where can I find out more about it? I haven't heard of it.

TIGER ACE

Jan 9, 2019
So, if I understand this, what you've done is just run the images of the game through an 'upscaler' program to make them look more modern/better?
what exactly does this " Waifu 2X Ersgan " do? and where can I find out more about it? I haven't heard of it.
Waifu is the upscaler Ersgan is like the model I used, you can search it on github and you will find many different ones, there are other upscalers that has even more types, some work better with anime, some with art, some with real pictures.

I used Waifu Ersgan. because its very good with 2d art. Especially if its old, its mostly good at restoring or converting low rest art better, it does not always work, I tried it on This game and Sex Note, the difference is very noticeable. After that I have to resize the image back to original dimentions or it wont show up properly. But the improvement stays in this case works because original art at this point pretty old. If I did the same with Our Red String and you basically cant tell the difference since the original art high res and also its very render like.

Example this is original:

miriambeatrice3p_romance_bedtalk.jpg

This is after I used the program:

miriambeatrice3p_romance_bedtalk.jpg

Original

sandy_bar_bj.jpg

Upscaled

sandy_bar_bj.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: lTTMl

professorx10

Game Developer
Jul 22, 2018
Waifu is the upscaler Ersgan is like the model I used, you can search it on github and you will find many different ones, there are other upscalers that has even more types, some work better with anime, some with art, some with real pictures.

I used Waifu Ersgan. because its very good with 2d art. Especially if its old, its mostly good at restoring or converting low rest art better, it does not always work, I tried it on This game and Sex Note, the difference is very noticeable. After that I have to resize the image back to original dimentions or it wont show up properly. But the improvement stays in this case works because original art at this point pretty old. If I did the same with Our Red String and you basically cant tell the difference since the original art high res and also its very render like.
Thank you for responding so quickly.

I checked the program out and Now I understand what it does. On my monitor I find it difficult to see any significant quality difference but I understand what the program is trying to do, doubling the resolution and de-noising the image. In resizing the image, back to the original, it should improve the image clarity. But on the sample images I don't 'see' it.

Regardless, I'll check it out.
And thanks again for the information.

TIGER ACE

Jan 9, 2019
Yea of course, And Definitely i get it gets less noticeable after the resize. I have done this with few games and it kind of works sometime and sometime it doesn't. Good Girl Gone Bad is a good example of it also working imo, I mostly do it just for myself. Maybe at this point just placebo for me. Its kind of became interesting for me lol. I would have uploaded the Sex Note one but upscaling videos takes longer and I have to convert them twice and resize cause the program doesnt support webm. But it works really well imo, the Sex Note videos are blurry to me and upscaling fixes that.

LightmanP

Modder
Game Developer
Oct 5, 2020
If you're upscaling, why not bring the game to a modern resolution with bigger images as well? At least 1080p or 1440p+.
It's not too hard in Ren'Py, feel free to reach out for tips.

TIGER ACE

Jan 9, 2019
If you're upscaling, why not bring the game to a modern resolution with bigger images as well? At least 1080p or 1440p+.
It's not too hard in Ren'Py, feel free to reach out for tips.
Thank you very much for the offer, maybe I will do that one day with other games, Time constraint really, Currently I dont have time due to school. This was too low effort. I really liked the result of the upscaling, as I was just saving some of the CG but yea after the resize with the original resolution, the differences aren't big.

LoneWolf999

Mar 25, 2017
Hey, I'm trying to try this upscaled version, but the images are getting cropped, how can I fix this? Screenshot_2.png

alpharenji2

Jul 29, 2021
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 190, in <module>
Exception: store.audio.danger is being given a default a second time.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "00start.rpyc", line 189, in script
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 1133, in execute
  File "renpy/python.py", line 1124, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 190, in <module>
  File "renpy/exports.py", line 3972, in execute_default_statement
  File "script.rpyc", line 97, in execute_default
Exception: store.audio.danger is being given a default a second time.