• The migration has been completed, search cache has finished rebuilding, and search is now reenabled. For more information, click here.

The future of the JDMOD

JohnDupont

Modder
May 26, 2017
I dunno about others but as a matter of principle, I wouldn't ever pay for a mod.
Supporting someone or not is your decision to make. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to.

@Epaddder did a good job of summarizing . I'd like to learn more about this: Do your principles fit into one of his three points or are they based on something different?

Criticaster

May 21, 2017
Supporting someone or not is your decision to make. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to.

@Epaddder did a good job of summarizing . I'd like to learn more about this: Do your principles fit into one of his three points or are they based on something different?
His 3 points pretty much hit the nail on the head. My opinion is pretty much a mix of #'s 2 and 3. The contention people have with paid mods is an old thing. The Skyrim fiasco revealed the peoples' opinion on paid mods and I think that with the relatively small number of gamers who do mod games, their opinion holds some weight.

However. This does not mean mods can't be sold for profit. Some of the best games around were at one time mods for another game (cs for one). However, these mods usually completely overhaul the base game in a major way, and personally (no offence intended), I don't think that your mod modifies the base game enough to warrant a price tag. In fact, I haven't seen a mod on this site that I think warrants a price tag.

Reactions: JohnDupont

random.guy

Aug 11, 2017
His 3 points pretty much hit the nail on the head. My opinion is pretty much a mix of #'s 2 and 3. The contention people have with paid mods is an old thing. The Skyrim fiasco revealed the peoples' opinion on paid mods and I think that with the relatively small number of gamers who do mod games, their opinion holds some weight.

However. This does not mean mods can't be sold for profit. Some of the best games around were at one time mods for another game (cs for one). However, these mods usually completely overhaul the base game in a major way, and personally (no offence intended), I don't think that your mod modifies the base game enough to warrant a price tag. In fact, I haven't seen a mod on this site that I think warrants a price tag.
Though there is no tag price on the mod. Patreon is a way to support a person, not to buy a product.

Reactions: Abibliboop

random.guy

Aug 11, 2017
Sure, but when you start to offer exclusive things behind a timed (or not) paywall. It becomes a price tag.
I think not. The cause of the deal is different. To sell means in most countries a certain set of rights and obligations between the seller and the buyer, I don't think Patreon, at least the way it was conceived, meets the criteria to be such a transaction. Of course there's a really blurry line between most Patreon's practices and a subscription service, but at its core it should just be people giving money to support an activity and perks should just be the patronized's way of showing gratitude. The scheme is not price vs product, it's supposed to be a donation.

Reactions: Abibliboop

Criticaster

May 21, 2017
I think not. The cause of the deal is different. To sell means in most countries a certain set of rights and obligations between the seller and the buyer, I don't think Patreon, at least the way it was conceived, meets the criteria to be such a transaction. Of course there's a really blurry line between most Patreon's practices and a subscription service, but at its core it should just be people giving money to support an activity and perks should just be the patronized's way of showing gratitude. The scheme is not price vs product, it's supposed to be a donation.
I didn't necessarily mean a legal transaction, I meant more that it feels like a transaction. True, it is supposed to be "donation" however when the main purpose of the donation is not to support the dev, but instead to acquire an enhanced/early copy of the product I don't think it can be treated (socially, if not legally) as a donation.

JohnDupont

Modder
May 26, 2017
I've been pretty tired for the past few days so this reply comes a bit late.

I think there is nothing wrong with considering "exclusive things behind a timed (or not) paywall" as a pricetag. You're right, it is one.

The Patreon page is a way to support my projects and to get rewards: A pledge can viewed as both donating and buying something at the same time. For @random.guy, it's mostly a donation while, for you @Criticaster, it's mostly for the rewards.

I believe that most patrons consider it as support but I try to consider it more as a way of getting rewards.
I want to make mods that nice to look at, easy to use, updated ASAP and more than anything useful and I don't think I should be supported unless I do just that. By considering pledges as a transaction, I can consider a drop the number of patrons as a drop in quality ; the added value I bring isn't worth their pledge anymore. It helps me measure the value I bring and what I need to do.

This is not the main reason why rewards exists but it's an important one.

Some of the other reasons for the rewards existence are:
  • I want to the patrons to receive something more than everyone else because I don't consider that saying "Thank you" is enough. I think this is the main reason: As a supporter myself, I think I deserve a bit more for my contribution ; it doesn't have to be much, a gesture is fine, but it's important.
  • Free stuff tends to be seen as having no value. What is "behind the paywall" is what I had to work on: It takes a lot of time to make a mod and update it ; but still, my time isn't considered as having as much value as the developper's time. I strongly feel like there's a double standard.
  • It's way of getting people to support.

Goronthil

Jul 14, 2017
@JohnDupont
Hello,
I discover your mod recently and I want to say great job/bravo :) It's really useful !!
I heard you're going to do the same mod for "The adventurous Couple" is it true ?

Reactions: JohnDupont

Freshman22

May 29, 2019
I love this series. Arguably my favourite game on Android. Would love to see more interracial content with Nicole and Davide