The legality of using illusion based models for VNs.

ASTI

Jan 4, 2018
There's been a bunch of games like Corrupted kingdom that are using the character creator of koikatsu or other illusion games to make the models of their own characters.
Is it even legal to do so while profiting from it through sites like patreon and subscribestar?

Reactions: BarnMTB

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
AFAIK, it's not exactly legal, but Illusion won't bother pursing legal action internationally against these small time devs. I vaguely remember FAKKU, who has distribution rights for Honey Select in the states or something, trying to stop people from using it. It was long ago and I don't know what came of it.

WhitePhantom

Donor
Game Developer
Feb 21, 2018
It is completely illegal.

Under both Fakku and Illusion's terms it is banned to use their assets, including screenshots, character models, basically everything to "generate money".

Are you likely to be caught or have action taken against you, not really, but in terms of legality there's no grey area, it is a completely black and white issue and it is banned.

Reactions: BarnMTB and Back

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
There's been a bunch of games like Corrupted kingdom that are using the character creator of koikatsu or other illusion games to make the models of their own characters.
Is it even legal to do so while profiting from it through sites like patreon and subscribestar?
it is copyright infringement if a person uses assets they do not have permission to use, whether for commercial reasons or not. there are exceptions, depending how the assets are used (parody, etc). however, even that does not stop the copyright owner from filing an infringement claim or a cease and desist order should they choose to do so. the owner may also file a lawsuit for compensation from perceived damages.

Patreon and subscribestar will lock down anyone for copyright issues, if they receive a valid claim, at least temporarily.

Reactions: PERKV and Back

Veileos

Feb 7, 2022
I dont think getting subs or donations for your story as long as its free and your not monetizing it will get you in much trouble for a VN. If anything I'm more surprised stuff like ripping characters from games or other media and selling them with price tags dosent actually get people in trouble. I think I have only heard of one VN getting in trouble for using another major USA IPs content and that was character names all they asked them to do was change the names because they were sexualizing them they didnt even care about the likeness.

Pulled this link from another thread just like this one for a straight answer

Last edited:

Ifartedtoolong

Feb 27, 2022
There have been others like leaf under fire got a cease and desist for their game which was a pokémon based game. But it probably depends on what company it is. Nintendo is really bad.

Diagnosed

Game Developer
May 12, 2022
It is completely illegal.

Under both Fakku and Illusion's terms it is banned to use their assets, including screenshots, character models, basically everything to "generate money".

Are you likely to be caught or have action taken against you, not really, but in terms of legality there's no grey area, it is a completely black and white issue and it is banned.
They cant even prove the games were made with their software. Maybe all the renders are from blender and they just happen to look like honey select. They got nothing thats why they dont do anything.

• Angry
Reactions: WhitePhantom