The possible start of an amazing game or this is just a bull sh!t thread about nothing

Ren'Py or RPGM?

• Ren'Py

Votes: 40 88.9%
  • RPGM

Votes: 5 11.1%

• Total voters

9fu7tdzn

May 6, 2018
Damn what a long name for a thread.

Hello humans,

I've been thinking to create a game and I think I'm serious about it, I know that it will require a lot of work, hard work but I'm willing to commit to it. I've played a lot of games and thought damn: why are there so few great games, like dafuq?? (prob because they damn hard to make xD)

Anyway, I'm new, so if there's gonna be a game then don't expect it soon. Although, I know one thing. If you do something then do it properly and good (hopefully amazing).

Damn there's a lot of water above this line. My question is: which engine would you prefer, Ren'Py or RPGM?

You can just say Ren'py or RPGM, that will help. But, if you have time please give some pros cons to explain your opinion (e.g. Ren'Py the interface is better and less confusing)

Thank you, to whoever was kind enough to read this and hopefully reply :)

dajunk12

Mar 2, 2018
Ren'py by far. RPGM games always feel like two very different games, one fun and the other very tedious. I prefer to advance the story through dialog choices or clicking on a room, not actually making my character walk around a minimap.

May 31, 2017
I like both engines but if the game is going to be a visual novel it wont benefits from rpgm like Lily of the valley, Anna exciting affection or elenas life and the game became tedious and there is no point in walking in a map, imo games some games that benefits from RPGM are Succulence (battles, events with different NPC's), Zoes's Temptaions, Coceter Crhonicles, one hour agent selena, in this games you interact with objects, talk with different NPC's(with a purpose) choose if you want to skip some of these things and just rush the main history.

ilyo

Sep 6, 2018
I voted Renpy because I'm not a fan of snes rpg anymore, 2d traversal and battle can become boring quickly, and I like consistency in graphic, which most rpgm haven't with a mix of 2dsnes and 3dcg.

Reactions: jackoffonher

GuyFreely

May 2, 2018
I voted Ren'Py because most people don't use RPGM well. They use it to pad out play time by making you walk and walk and walk. As Avaron pointed out, it is largely dependent on what kind of game you are making. I would say the main reason to use RPGM is that you want proximity based events. By that I mean you want things to happen when the player wanders near something. For example, battle monsters that are roaming around. If you just want to tell the story of a regular guy or girl in a modern day setting, I'd say it's hard to justify RPGM.

Also, yes it is hard to make a good game. First off, not everyone has the skill set to do it. That's not their fault exactly, but it's just the case sometimes. Well written games take longer to write. Well done renders take longer to produce. A lot of projects are on Patreon where people want big updates very often. So if you want to save some time, you take some shortcuts. Some of the most successful games aren't the "best" games.

eosar

Aug 11, 2016
Custom RPGM games are better than renpy when it comes to adventure/RPG games, in my opinion. But they need to be custom, to have a special thing that makes them different, to offer the right choices and the right details.

Take my favourite example of what I consider to be an epic failure: Sanshitty of Gear (I forgot the actual name).
It's been quite a while, so the details are fuzzy, but the game had the framework of a new/interesting combat system that at least enticed me visually, only to let me find it completely and utterly pointless.
The whole thing became to me a kinetic novel with subpar story and constant, tedious and boring clickity-click that not even a pretty paint job could save. I consider that title as the epitome of what not to do when making an RPGM game.

An RPGM game needs fun in moving around, diversity in the repeated grind and a proper sense of empowerment over time. The pixel part is just as important as the CG.

Renpy is like reading a novel with pictures. You can add some extra snazz to it, but in no way can you make the snazz as the main part. Grinding the shit out of the filler of a story kills the story without question.

Renpy - story

RPGM - fun gameplay