Ren'Py - Completed - The Power of Confidence [v1.12] [Dirty Secret Studio]

1. 2.00 star(s)

_Utakata_

This game is realy bad Lot of bugs
    Even with freemode and cheats you still need to grind to unlock scenes
    Story is just boring and the power of confidence is one of the most boring powers i seen in game with super powers
    Only good thing is renders of some girls and also seems the girl bush disappears The girs bush vanishes in events but shows up again at home
    This game feels abandoned.
  2. 3.00 star(s)

neithernor

For Version 1.01
    nice game with decent story but still has a long road ahead of it.
    can easily be 4 star and with more content maybe even 5, but currently its a buggy mess with certain events triggering bugs that make it annoying to play.
  3. 3.00 star(s)

Zippity

The following review is based off my personal experience with playing this Game/Visual Novel... I try to be as brutally honest and detailed as I can, and these are my own opinions and thoughts, from one or more play throughs... The version this review is based on is v0.81...

This VN/Game doesn't take itself seriously in any way, shape, or form... So do not go into it, thinking it has any real story or meaning outside of attempts at humor alongside some erotica...

The visuals of the characters are sometimes a bit dark and/or grainy, and many of the pictures involving the characters are a mix of erotic and hilarity... The backgrounds are mostly bland and repeats of some backgrounds I've already seen in other VN/Games... There isn't any traditional animations, being mostly back to back stills portraying motion...

The script is mostly readable, with spelling/grammar mistakes here and there... The plot, what little there really is, revolves around a male protagonist who rents out rooms in his house to 3 different women... While visiting his 10 year High School Reunion he learns that he has been granted the power of Confidence... From there on, the story becomes primarily an experiment in absurdity... In no way, does this game take itself, or any subject matter it contains, serious in any way... It pokes fun at practically everything from religion, to history, to relationship building, to corruption, etc...

The game play mechanics are setup as a Relationship/Corruption Grinder with a slight twist... Everything the protagonist does or places you choose to go, causes time to move forward... The game day is broken up into time segments, with various characters being at certain places during specific times of the day... Some locations must be opened up via game play, as well as optionally drinking coffee to open up an extra segment of time, during the day you drink it... You can skip time without doing anything, and expect to see some events repeat themselves...

Be extra careful to pay attention to some of the event text, as it tries to give you hints on how to open up some new content... Problem is, not all the hints are obvious or they are too vague... You end up wasting a lot of time experimenting with locations, buying items, gifting items, talking to reduce resistance, as well as playing events over and over again... All in a quest to try and open up some event or scene content that you haven't already seen already... You can see a list of events for each character, that you've already seen, as well as see how many events are still remaining, but it doesn't clue you in at all in that display... Expect to waste an INSANE amount of time experimenting if you want to open up a majority of the content that the character info screen claims is still not viewed... I hate to say it, but this game is in DIRE need of a Walkthrough... That or it needs some serious hint revisions to give you a better idea of things you've missed, or how to proceed with each character... The fact that a walkthrough feels required, is not a good thing...

I ran into some bugs with a few characters, where trying to play out some events would cause Coding Errors that were not Ignorable... Therefore you had to go back, to before you made the decision to play that event, and therefore became stuck, with no forward content momentum with said character in said location... It happened with the religious women in the pool and a few other areas with other characters... I'm unsure if those errors then create content walls for any further content with those characters, and if it does, then those are game breaking bugs, that need fixing...

The story and some of the scenes are designed to be hilariously ridiculous... At no point, did I feel there was any seriousness to anything that was taking place... Initially, when the craziness began, I was laughing out loud at the ridiculous things that kept occurring... After I sort of figured out how crazy this game was, I didn't laugh as much, but I still laughed now and then... Just when I thought the game was sort of mellowing out, some more craziness would open up, and had me smiling but shaking my head... Some of the humor is over the top, some is actually funny, some is borderline offensive (depending on your beliefs), some feels a bit like a private joke, and the list goes on... But at no time, does it take anything too serious for very long at all...

Overall, I liked some of the absurdity even though some bits look a bit disturbing, but the game has a lot of tediousness and repetitiveness due to the lack of hints that are easier to figure out... In some cases, some content feels locked behind stuff where hints were never given... The erotic content is alright, most of the time, when I was actually able to unlock it... I spent several hours, only to find out, I really hadn't unlocked all that much content, and I felt completely stuck... No matter how much time I spent messing around trying to figure stuff out, even with the hints given, I still felt stuck...

I understand that this game is not a serious game, and is meant from the start to be a game of complete non-sense... And I might have scored it higher, if I didn't feel it failed in some of the basic game play requirements of not wasting insane amounts of time with very vague hints... No game should feel like it requires a walkthrough, just to experience even half the content... The visuals are obviously meant to be over the top, especially when using the protagonists abilities (those facial expressions are actually disturbing some of the time)… But I think some more attention needs to be placed on the game mechanics and hint system... It's even difficult to determine what Items you can buy, that will actually help you in any way... As you can gift practically anything you purchase to any character... They may hate it or like it or be indifferent about it... That in turn also adds to the feeling of wastefulness...

Will I revisit this game? Maybe, once the bugs are fixed and perhaps a full walkthrough for each character is released, or the developers improve their hint system to be a bit more detailed... Unless that occurs, I will not waste my time with a revisit... I've seen all that I can without spending hours to days, just figuring out what I missed and how to get to it...
  4. 1.00 star(s)

-Loli-Ghost-

Gameplay is buddy and boring go from area to area and hope that you go there at the right time of day to make a small amount of progress with that one person and it's not good enough to just see the person that you're trying to make progress with you have also got to see them in a certain place and the characters love to move around and go to areas that doesn't benefit you at all.... Until you hit the sweet spot you'll feel like you're just going around in circles.

The story is bad, Some of the CG is terrible while the rest is average, Dialogue is okay - if any of the following get added it'll probably be enjoyable
    A cheat menu or an in-game walkthrough telling you where to go at what time/day to make progress with that character.
  5. E
    2.00 star(s)

evilbefalls

Boring and buggy . The 3 woman loving wih you are ugly AF Trying to find a solution for the pool found nothing. Events sucks . leveling up i feel like nothing changed always the same boring events happen . I expected more from this game
  6. 3.00 star(s)

juanito

Would be better if instead of the roommates (at least the teacher) we could interact with some of the other ex classmates like the girl in the cute red dress. I hope that becomes available in the future. I liked the stats system and the gameplay. Although it gets boring to have to click in the car to go out to the map. Maybe it would be better to have us stay out there after taking an action not in the home or move the car button to the left or right corner so we don't have to look for it.