Ren'Py The Ren'Py folder is growing to ridiculous sizes.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
When I build distributions of my VN, especially Android, the Ren'Py folder soon grows to over 45 GB in size, although the resulting distributions are stored elsewhere. So obviously it doesn't clean up the various temporary files.
Is it possible to set up some sort of automatic cleanup after the distributions are created.
Which folders are safe to delete manually?

LightmanP

Modder
Game Developer
Oct 5, 2020
When I build distributions of my VN, especially Android, the Ren'Py folder soon grows to over 45 GB in size, although the resulting distributions are stored elsewhere. So obviously it doesn't clean up the various temporary files.
Is it possible to set up some sort of automatic cleanup after the distributions are created.
You can remove any "******-dists" folders if you've already moved out/copied the required distributions, they are stored there.

Reactions: t727

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Part of what you're seeing is the fact that when you do an build, Ren'py assembles the individual distribution files (the ones that go inside the zip files) inside the renpy/tmp directory before producing the zipped-up distribution elsewhere. In addition, for Android, it essentially makes a full copy of your project under there, because it assembles a project in the form that the Gradle builder for Android expects and then turns Gradle loose on it. So, you can, indeed, build up a lot of cruft in there.

You should be able to delete or empty the renpy/tmp directory without any problem. If you want to be certain, go re-download the same version Ren'py SDK and re-install it in another directory. Anything that doesn't come with the distribution can, in theory, be removed. (I don't remember if the distribution comes with an empty tmp folder, or if it's completely missing.)

Reactions: LightmanP