VN Ren'Py The Voyage Above [Development Thread]

theJellyfish

Game Developer
Apr 13, 2023
GAME IS OUT YOU CAN CHECK THE PAGE

Hey guys

I am currenty working on a game that takes place in an underwater colony. The premise is that the mc is trying to convince people to go up to the surface. It contains somewhere between 8 to 10 heroines. This colony is made up of seven districts (education, farming, research etc.) which all have their own leaders whom mc has to convince for the Voyage Above. And all these leaders are members of the council that manages the entirety of the colony. Mc is a researcher male who lives with his ''landlady'' and her daughter :)BootyTime:). Also the game takes place in the future where humanity had to leave the earth and travelled to another planet where the surface was toxic. I don't want to spoil it that much so you will have to see the rest yourself.

The game is in very early development i am planning on releasing a demo in around a month. And i wanted to make this thread to get your feedback on the art and the subject. Feel free to comment it means a lot.

Here are some samples of the art:
gf laying down.png landlady.png president.png Sister_New.png MC.png mc room unfinished.jpg

Last edited:

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Love the art style. I myself am a fan of toony characters, simple shapes, thick lines, simple/minimal shading. Really like what you are doing with the shading. In fact, even the guy looks really nice, usually I don't care much about mc or other male characters but the shading and art style really synergize with the character.

sci fi, future, underwater base, sounds like a fun combo, excited to see what you're cooking up!

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
The world background summary immediately made me think of the "underwater descendants" faction in the final section of "Seveneves" by Neal Stephenson.

theJellyfish

Game Developer
Apr 13, 2023
Love the art style. I myself am a fan of toony characters, simple shapes, thick lines, simple/minimal shading. Really like what you are doing with the shading. In fact, even the guy looks really nice, usually I don't care much about mc or other male characters but the shading and art style really synergize with the character.

sci fi, future, underwater base, sounds like a fun combo, excited to see what you're cooking up!
Thank you for your comment! I am glad you liked the art :)

The world background summary immediately made me think of the "underwater descendants" faction in the final section of "Seveneves" by Neal Stephenson.
I just googled it. I didn't read it but if my game immediately reminded you the book i guess i should read it :)

Reactions: osanaiko

Harem Trooper

Oct 4, 2017
Art looks good, you already will have eyes on this project when its out alone because of that. My gut feeling tells me however how the plot develops if it either flops or rises. The Harem part I dig pretty good. The whole underwater world is also interesting. But whats the main purpose of the story it set in ? Like you experience the bunker life underwater, gets good sex and convince the other people to reach the top ?

theJellyfish

Game Developer
Apr 13, 2023
Art looks good, you already will have eyes on this project when its out alone because of that. My gut feeling tells me however how the plot develops if it either flops or rises. The Harem part I dig pretty good. The whole underwater world is also interesting. But whats the main purpose of the story it set in ? Like you experience the bunker life underwater, gets good sex and convince the other people to reach the top ?
Sorry for late answer.Well yes. You summarized it pretty good. I also want to add surface content but that's like waaay too later.

theJellyfish

Game Developer
Apr 13, 2023
I like how the water reflections look in this CGs. It just look a bit odd that it look like your typical american family house but as it was flooded outside to the max. ;)
Well i know how it may look odd but i myself don't like the typical sci-fi stuff. I feel like it is very bland and colorless so i am gonna make my game ''close future'' with my own style. I want it to be modern not really futuristic. Also i kind of want my charachters to be nostalgic about earth. Thank you for your comment btw.

Saint Blackmoor

Saint and Sinner
Donor
Oct 26, 2017
I like what I'm seeing. Good luck with it, and I look forward to seeing it posted.
I do proofreading here. If you need any assistance or playtesting, let me know.

theJellyfish

Game Developer
Apr 13, 2023
I like what I'm seeing. Good luck with it, and I look forward to seeing it posted.
I do proofreading here. If you need any assistance or playtesting, let me know.
Thank you for your kind words. I actually released a demo in F95 ans now working for the first update which should be out soon. And i will have your name in my mind Thank you!

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
theJellyfish You should edit your profile and add links to your release thread in your footer (and also link to this development thread if you plan to continue to maintain it with info about your work and upcoming releases). This will help people find your release thread more easily. Check out the posts by GrayTShirt for an example of what I mean.

theJellyfish

Game Developer
Apr 13, 2023
theJellyfish You should edit your profile and add links to your release thread in your footer (and also link to this development thread if you plan to continue to maintain it with info about your work and upcoming releases). This will help people find your release thread more easily. Check out the posts by GrayTShirt for an example of what I mean.
Oh i didn't know that. Thanks a lot! I am pretty new. I am currently out of town. Once i acces my pc i can do those things.