VN - Ren'Py - The Way of the Champion [Ch. 2] [KotStorm]

1. 2.00 star(s)

NoWay Jose

Titles like this are disappointing for a lot of reasons. For one, the character designs are just okay. It looks like the same render settings were used regardless of location or changes in lighting. The character poses are the worst. It looks like the dev used store-bought poses without trying to fine-tune the results. Supposedly hands-on-hips hanging in mid-air, for example. Expressions are a bit over-exaggerated. Another thing that grinds me is when a dev animates people talking by just moving the mouth, and occasionally, the eyes. No other changes in a character's pose is unrealistic, draws you out of the story, and is just being lazy. People IRL don't stand around completely frozen while just moving their mouths.

Scenes aren't staged very well. There are way too many shots of characters that are dead center in the screen, just changing expressions or poses. The lighting is flat for the most part, and a lot of scenes are very over-exposed.

When we see Angelina for the first time, the walking animation looks fine until the camera pulls back and it appears that she's stomping buildings like Godzilla. This is another example of using canned assets without tweaking them for purpose.

I get that this is just the second chapter, but it's not clear to me at all what the story is supposed to be about. Or that the only sex scene is some random encounter with a doctor with questionable ethics and/or motives.

And I got a crash in the middle of nowhere: KeyError: 'mcrl' ...

I'll keep an eye on this title hoping that the dev gets better at the visual side of things, and that some semblance of a story emerges. But for the time being, it's a pass from me.
  2. 3.00 star(s)

UselessSphinx

Why are Lauren's feet purple?

I have made it to the beach house, and I'm not sure how I managed to get that far.

Lets start with the writing.
    A bit of polish wouldn't help this area. Incomplete sentences and missing words are pretty much normal from what I'm reading. Whomever is doing the writing needs to slow down and put a bit more effort into it.
    Characters (where I stopped) were ok. There is a "mystery" going on with the MC. Is it talked about? I don't know. One lady asked, but noting was revealed.
    Lauren has purple feet when you massage them. WHY?
    Animation is bad. Especially the two ladies walking on the beach. WTF? I thought they were robots our for a stroll.

Summary
    Writing needs some serious attention. Not just minor things either.
    As dysfunctional as the writing is, I honestly can't give this VN less than 3 stars. With some help this might be a good VN.
    Not sure about the random phone call before your jog, but I'm sure there was a reason for it.
    Figure out a way to work on the walking mechanics, and the adult scene as well.
    I hope for the best for KotStorm with this VN. It'll be a big pass for me for future updates.
  3. 3.00 star(s)

SurpriseSunlight

Okay, so I finished the game (which is only Chapter 1 for now) and boy oh boy I laugh more than I should have for this game.

The skins are nicely rendered, the choice of clothes could be better (someone wearing a sweat on the beach), the facial expressions are horrendous to say the least, the MC laughing face is the same as a horse's. You really need to lower the sliders and use more subtle expressions, or you keep it like that if you want psychopaths.

The posing is for me a big problem, either they are standing or laying like they are Barbie and Ken, or they are walking like robots ready to take over the world (these walking animations are going to haunt me for the rest of my life I swear)

The music is off and goes on for multiple scenes, at some point I thought it was a tiktok with an heavy music with no context on the actual scene and discussion, there's no sounds like a ringing phone. It's the kind of details that makes the game a lot more immersive, at least more than a wet dick texture.

Some minor nitpicks about some English typos, the dark blue Nora nickname with a dark background gives a low constrast (too low IMO).

Also a small advice for your scenes, please stick with either first or third POV without switching during a scene, exceptions with there is a minigame or it's a sexual content - the massage is a good example. I'd advice you to use the 180-degree rule in your scenes.

I'll give it a three star because I had a good laugh watching the robotic animation, but the story isn't that much entertaining.
  4. 5.00 star(s)

moovigym

It has attractive modeling that is not exaggerated.

But animation is rather a negative factor
    Especially the scene where two girls walk on the beach is so bizarre that I think it's better to take it out altogether.

There are a lot of games that appear in a flash and disappear in a flash.
    I know development is difficult, so I'll give Dev five points to get off to a good start.

I'm looking forward to your next update, good luck.