Third Person in RPG-esque text-only writing

Yamineko

Sep 26, 2017
Hello,

I was wondering how engrained the expectation for 2nd person writing in RPG-style text games is. I'm specifically referring here to text-only games like Lillith's Throne, TiTS or Degrees of Lewdity. All three examples are very RPG-heavy, with an extended character creation and alteration system. Thus, I can understand the need to appeal directly to the reader.

However, I personally prefer to write more in 3rd person, as I like to talk more about the world, environment and situation. This also discounts things as heavy character customization, as I do not see the added value in a lot of scenes (lewd or otherwise). So, given that the RPG focus is a bit less pronounced than in those three examples above, would such a style even be accepted by a wider audience? I can't think of any examples on top of my head, where you play as a character, the game is text-only, and it is written in 3rd person. The closest thing that comes to mind is The Last Sovereign, where all sex scenes and interludes are in text-only third person, but it is not strictly a text-only game.