Thoughts on making a short game

ixcez

Nov 26, 2018
So pretty much got a lot of free time on my hand for the next couple of weeks or so and I thought I would try at making a game. I don't really have any experience at all in creating games and the game I am thinking of making is just gonna be a short demo/trial.

The premise would be pretty much just a guy going to live at an apartment house filled with single women. I am thinking of having it play out in a pov of the MC and it will be very limited in the choices the player can do, pretty much they can just pick which girl to pursue and then a scene will play out, might include some choices during the scenes. The player would be able to go for just one of them or all of them but going for just one would give a good ending, going for more would differ and going for all would always give a "bad" ending.

I sadly have little to no skills as an artist which is why I've chosen to focus on the writing instead since it's, hopefully, my strong point. But yeah what I am wondering about is what type of game engine I should probably go for? While I might include images the game will mostly just play out like an erotic story where the player can choose a bit how it will end or how the MC reaches the ending. However again I want to keep this hopefully as simple as possible since it's my first try at it.

ixcez

Nov 26, 2018
And i lost interest.
Thats fine.

Pretty much the premise is "player" enters apartment building and seduces the women and my thoughts are that each time you finish a route if you go to the next one, you'll get comments like, where are you going? why do you leave me? etc that increases in the amount of comments like this as you do more routes so you get a foreshadow of what is happening. Then the end is a harem end just not the "good" harem end.

But again this is just a story I thought up that is gonna be short and I mostly wonder what kind of game engine I should be going for, since I wan't to keep it fairly short both because of time but also because I don't know if I will actually enjoy creating a game so I think it's better then to keep it short so I can still complete it.

Deleted member 229118

Oct 3, 2017
Thats fine.

Pretty much the premise is "player" enters apartment building and seduces the women and my thoughts are that each time you finish a route if you go to the next one, you'll get comments like, where are you going? why do you leave me? etc that increases in the amount of comments like this as you do more routes so you get a foreshadow of what is happening. Then the end is a harem end just not the "good" harem end.

But again this is just a story I thought up that is gonna be short and I mostly wonder what kind of game engine I should be going for, since I wan't to keep it fairly short both because of time but also because I don't know if I will actually enjoy creating a game so I think it's better then to keep it short so I can still complete it.
I think html would fit this type of game.

Reactions: toolkitxx and ixcez

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
First of all: Dont let comments about the story or genre discourage you from doing it.

If it is story heavy: text based is best to start with and html has tons of easy tools to create something like that. It also allows you to expand with some basic graphical stuff releatively easy later on. Twine etc comes to mind here. But in theory any tool you find easy to work with is what you should use. People tend to throw tools at you once you ask questions like you just did. That is the wrong approach. Tools are always a later step. Check my sig for a quick run-through for the basics.

Crimson Delight Games

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2020
I don't really have any experience at all in creating games and the game I am thinking of making is just gonna be a short demo/trial.
Write a design doc before you start any coding or real writing. Trust me, you'll thank yourself later.