Thoughts on the state of the industry

fredoo04

Jun 22, 2017
Hi, what are your thoughts on the current state of the adult games industry?

I’ve been around since C64 sex demos and have seen all the ups and downs since then. At the moment, I feel its on the downwards spiral again. It seems to me that the market is oversaturated by hastly produced Daz3D and RPG Maker games which follow same sort of patterns. They all seem to be built from the same template. We live in an age of hyperproduction.

Reactions: F4C430

Impious Monk

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2021
More and more games getting made does mean a lot of them will be low quality, but the number of high quality games also being made is astounding. Daz renders that would have been industry leading only a couple of years ago are becoming common place. Talented writers are taking the AVN genre seriously. Animations are both far more common and much more realistic.

Honestly, there are more high quality games than I have time to play.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Yes, the stone age setting is intentional, because the western adult gaming industry isn't much more developed than that.
There's few exception, Winter Wolves and Winged Cloud, among others, are professional studios... So, I guess that we are approaching the Bronze age.

But this do not contradict your main point. The western adult gaming scene being composed at 95% of hobbyists, it clearly can't be qualified as "industry".

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Hagatagar

Deleted member 4771842

Mar 24, 2022
Well, everyone and everything has it ups and downs, even company like Kagura games, which has quite cool and unique projects, while some garbage as well.

Edit: Never mind, they are just publisher, who tend to publish good and garbage games.

Last edited:

AhoyLaddies

Aug 31, 2020
Its gotten much better compared to 3 years ago, thats for certain. Lots of projects I believe have overstayed their welcome, IMO. Devs who don't insist on finishing their game sooner rather than later will just get pushed out by new talent, which has been pretty fruitful.

I think we still have a ways to go. I was hoping for, god I cant even remember its name, that one high budget "adult" game was going to come to fruition. I'd hoped that would put a spotlight on adult gaming(in a good way), and maybe it drew some people, but my hopes were let down by it when the devs just hid all the adult content within the game. It wasn't all that well received if I recall...

Really, I think we're only going to see better and better games. The caveat in this optimism is that it could just as easily take a nosedive now that ILLUSION is bankrupt.

Not saying that there are no other alternatives, or the chance another developer steps up, but ILLUSION has been very important for letting developers make games. I mean we could mod stuff like Koikatsu and HS into infinity, but I don't see that happening.

Anyways, fingers crossed.