Thread Lockout

Squark ⚧❤️

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 16, 2017
Note that this is completely different to threadbanning.
All I actually want to know is how long a thread lock can last for - is it a fixed length, up to the mod that locked it, does it matter how many times it's been locked or is it permanent?

In this case, it was just locked without warning. The fact that most of us could see it happening is of no consequence. Warnings are a basic courtesy, phantom thread locker.

Last edited:

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
It would help if you said what thread it was, we have some 80k threads in this site.

Squark ⚧❤️

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 16, 2017
It would help if you said what thread it was, we have some 80k threads in this site.
I don't quite see how knowing which thread in particular I'm referring to will help answer the question I asked.
It was LonaRPG. I think I know why it had to be locked (it isn't now) but it doesn't quite answer my question.

Reactions: Tektaara

Sphere42

Sep 9, 2018
If it was a general lock where no one can post I don't see why there would be a time limit. Those tend to be used as a stopgap while other work is performed so it'll last until that work is done.

I agree a notification would be in order but this place seems to lack the "stickied mod post" feature reddit has so if it's a one-off incident (as opposed to constant whining over the game's core content for example) I'm not sure where the notice should go, and it would be deleted once the thread is unlocked again anyway.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
I've seen a thread lock before because people derailed a thread with NTR complaints, and it stayed for a full day or two while mods were cleaning the thread.

So the answer probably depends on why it was locked for in the first place.

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
So the answer probably depends on why it was locked for in the first place.
I also think so. First it need the time to clean the thread (I remember one that lost near to 10 pages after it), and then the time to let the tension appease. This last part depending how long it toke for the mods to notice the problem, how fast it grown (in the thread I remember, the 10 pages where wrote in less than 5 hours), and how controversial the problem can be.
A thread with just one whimsical troll will probably be locked for just one day, but a thread that turn into a flame war involving everyone will surely be locked for at least a week.