Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
this engine is playable but clunky, renpy is so much better cause its lightweight, as far as I can tell this engine has no benefits over renpy to warrant how sluggish it is

thats not to say one day it wont be better but yes the game would be better on renpy, if only because of how fast everything happens in it, from loading and saving, animation and especially skipping

its fine if you only do one playthrough but this game has choices and branches so its important for replay-ability

this is coming from a user on a 5k USD PC, so its not a hardware issue
In what ways is the engine sluggish and clunky? I even tested it on a macbook air from 2012 with an atom processor in it and it runs flawlessly though it takes a few seconds for the game to start when you launch it. Not sure what you mean with animatiosn and skipping. The skipping was limited on purpose just because people tend to skip through the entire game in in a few minutes and call it too short of an update. When i turn off the limiter it skips as fast as your PC can handle but then its too easy to skip past something. Ren'py doesnt particularly load or save any faster, for me it's borderline instant, pressing last choice is instant for me? And not sure what your feedback is on the animations they are just video clips played back it has nothing to do with the engine.

Again we provide the last choice feature which no other game has and that helps with trying different paths immensly.

Sounds like you got something going on with your PC if it runs this bad as you are saying, doesnt matter if its 5K, something aint right if we have this working on a potato. I also tested it on another ultra small PC that i use for travels which is also on an atom CPU 1.7ghz no dedicated graphics. Ram usage and CPU usage is very low in the game.

Granted in renpy you rightclick to open the save menu, but that is only neccessary because you have to save at basically every choice, in this game you don't have to do that, if you do that it's just a bad habit from ren'py, and you would be far better off not thinking so much about and just enjoying the game instead of worrying you are messing up choices along the way, but you can't even go backwards in most ren'py games, such a basic feature most VN's dont even seem to have, to go back.

Edit: another thing is that so many renpy games out there don't even carry over your saves between updates, which i would take for granted. So many exuses about making changes between updates making saves break, if you do things right you can convert old saves to new saves without the player knowing about it. We've been running the same save file support from 0.4.0 chapter 1 to 1.0 revamp, then we revised the game so much we decided its better to let people play it over again, and entire chapter 2 has just worked with your previous saves.

/A

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021
this engine is playable but clunky, renpy is so much better cause its lightweight, as far as I can tell this engine has no benefits over renpy to warrant how sluggish it is

thats not to say one day it wont be better but yes the game would be better on renpy, if only because of how fast everything happens in it, from loading and saving, animation and especially skipping

its fine if you only do one playthrough but this game has choices and branches so its important for replay-ability

this is coming from a user on a 5k USD PC, so its not a hardware issue
I have a pretty low-powered iMac running bootcamp and this game works fine for me.

What branches? There are a few choices, but I have not encountered any wildly different scenarios I could not go back and see using judicious saves. Which is also what I do in Ren'py since you can't really roll back if you go to far.

Reactions: Aesouh
Feb 27, 2017
In what ways is the engine sluggish and clunky? I even tested it on a macbook air from 2012 with an atom processor in it and it runs flawlessly though it takes a few seconds for the game to start when you launch it. Not sure what you mean with animatiosn and skipping. The skipping was limited on purpose just because people tend to skip through the entire game in in a few minutes and call it too short of an update. When i turn off the limiter it skips as fast as your PC can handle but then its too easy to skip past something. Ren'py doesnt particularly load or save any faster, for me it's borderline instant, pressing last choice is instant for me? And not sure what your feedback is on the animations they are just video clips played back it has nothing to do with the engine.

Again we provide the last choice feature which no other game has and that helps with trying different paths immensly.

Sounds like you got something going on with your PC if it runs this bad as you are saying, doesnt matter if its 5K, something aint right if we have this working on a potato. I also tested it on another ultra small PC that i use for travels which is also on an atom CPU 1.7ghz no dedicated graphics. Ram usage and CPU usage is very low in the game.

Granted in renpy you rightclick to open the save menu, but that is only neccessary because you have to save at basically every choice, in this game you don't have to do that, if you do that it's just a bad habit from ren'py, and you would be far better off not thinking so much about and just enjoying the game instead of worrying you are messing up choices along the way, but you can't even go backwards in most ren'py games, such a basic feature most VN's dont even seem to have, to go back.

Edit: another thing is that so many renpy games out there don't even carry over your saves between updates, which i would take for granted. So many exuses about making changes between updates making saves break, if you do things right you can convert old saves to new saves without the player knowing about it. We've been running the same save file support from 0.4.0 chapter 1 to 1.0 revamp, then we revised the game so much we decided its better to let people play it over again, and entire chapter 2 has just worked with your previous saves.

/A

in renpy save/load, skip animation, skip dialogue, change location is all instant, there's no fade in/load time

it sounds like you are limiting it, take off the limits and I will let you know

the hardware isnt the issue, sounds like artificial limiting is

renpy games that dont carry saves or get corrupted is bad/new devs on python, half the time you can fix it by changing a variable name they missed in testing, its not an engine issue

the problem is the only game on this engine is timestamps, dont get mad at users for thinking a game dev choice to make scenes slow/limit features is an engine limitation when the dev dont put the option to disable it

eg. if the only game on renpy had rollback disabled everyone would think renpy cant rollback

warbird

Jun 2, 2018
i

/A
i can attest to the fact that this engine is flawless, i am running this on 7yrs old 4th gen i7 laptop , smooth as a butter performance.

binoko

Nov 17, 2018
Engine improvement is very noticeable, way smoother transition through static images and animations. Good job.

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
No ren'py means no mods, that kills it for alot of people.
Your average user will browse new games, scroll down "what no gallery mod no walkthrough mod? SKIP"
Just look at the last few comments. :censored:

Edit: also no android port, cuz, again, no ren'py.
Hey at least we dont need a walkthrough mod becausce we got the hint system and task list on the phone or by pressing H -.^

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
in renpy save/load, skip animation, skip dialogue, change location is all instant, there's no fade in/load time

it sounds like you are limiting it, take off the limits and I will let you know

the hardware isnt the issue, sounds like artificial limiting is

renpy games that dont carry saves or get corrupted is bad/new devs on python, half the time you can fix it by changing a variable name they missed in testing, its not an engine issue

the problem is the only game on this engine is timestamps, dont get mad at users for thinking a game dev choice to make scenes slow/limit features is an engine limitation when the dev dont put the option to disable it

eg. if the only game on renpy had rollback disabled everyone would think renpy cant rollback
There is only artifical limiting happening on the skipping and its there because if you would press the button it would skip at as fast as you can render, on my pc probably about 300 or so frames in one second, you would instantly skip into a choice. There is no legit reason to remove the cap that is currently on there, reducing it maybe, but we've played around with it in several updates in chapter 1 and found a pretty good balance.

Before navigation had zero transition effects, its a quick fade put in there to not be as sudden, you have quick navigation panel too to save time if pressing around arrows is not your jam.

Do you have some specific game in mind that is a master of ren'py that is so fantastic that hasn't been in development for many years with an obscene budget? OF course there are brilliant ren'py games out there but it has nothing to do with ren'py, some are so customized that there is barely anything in there left. Most renpy games are super simplistic, i guess thats what you also get when all you want to do is just write and make art and dont care for anything else.

Reactions: Snugglepuff

Motkeyz

TIMESTAMPS
Game Developer
Oct 21, 2017
I believe that is one of THE BEST games on this forum.
Story, characters, situations, fantasies, renders, animations.

This game has a soul...

Pity that there is not a big community around it, this game deserves it.
Let's make it grow then ;) Spreading the word, rate, comment , talk, support, everything help us to gain more visibility!

FamilyFriendly

Modder
Jun 9, 2018
Unrated patch updated to R5 P1. It should work without the P1 version of the game however it doesn't fix all the problems by itself, it just fixes some problems with the heather & bacon scenes, many other things are done in the game client.

Reactions: Outrider

X0M3!

Nov 13, 2019
Hey at least we dont need a walkthrough mod becausce we got the hint system and task list on the phone or by pressing H -.^
Motkeyz
Fast skip some dialouges would be great, Just found out Holding "Q" goes backwards in frames fast, is there similar option with forward frame jump (Auto text speed good but some scenes context require reading & some not so much).
About P1 patch, is it ready? there are 13 more task/scenes after "Bus scene" & all are greyed out/locked....good update so far.

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
Motkeyz
Fast skip some dialouges would be great, Just found out Holding "Q" goes backwards in frames fast, is there similar option with forward frame jump (Auto text speed good but some scenes context require reading & some not so much).
About P1 patch, is it ready? there are 13 more task/scenes after "Bus scene" & all are greyed out....good update so far.
Holding space? :) or holding shift to use the actual skip function. I know about the text auto thing, i've been working on making some auto based on the amount of text, which makes most sense ofc, but it's not really working out atm. I will look at it for the next update

Reactions: X0M3!
Feb 27, 2017
There is only artifical limiting happening on the skipping and its there because if you would press the button it would skip at as fast as you can render, on my pc probably about 300 or so frames in one second, you would instantly skip into a choice. There is no legit reason to remove the cap that is currently on there, reducing it maybe, but we've played around with it in several updates in chapter 1 and found a pretty good balance.

Before navigation had zero transition effects, its a quick fade put in there to not be as sudden, you have quick navigation panel too to save time if pressing around arrows is not your jam.

Do you have some specific game in mind that is a master of ren'py that is so fantastic that hasn't been in development for many years with an obscene budget? OF course there are brilliant ren'py games out there but it has nothing to do with ren'py, some are so customized that there is barely anything in there left. Most renpy games are super simplistic, i guess thats what you also get when all you want to do is just write and make art and dont care for anything else.
I just tried the new update and it does seem A LOT faster than what I remember, think last time I played was first chapter 2 release, especially the animation, before going into them and exiting them had a noticeable hickup

personally if there was a skip button I could hold down like Ctrl and an option to adjust the limiter (to my taste) I would be just as happy with this engine as renpy

Most renpy games are simple VN like this one, the only complicated one I can think of is SuperPowered, as it has a lot of variables but it runs just as well, except maybe a hickup in loading in some heavy scenes, the dev does a decent job coding it

edit: reason why we want to remove limiter sometimes is we start a new game/lose a save, so we want to just blaze through the game as fast as possible to catch up,

Aug 18, 2017
i see someone already did the unrated patch - was also going through and editing dialogue (consider this a very unofficial mod of the current r5 unrated)

(only edited dialogue new in unrated r5, left all other as it was from previous unrated)
-restructured various odd/grammatically wrong sentences; as much as i could find anyways
-fixed a lot of typos
-dialogue is similar to the current unrated but slightly different at spots to give it more flavor/context (ex. 'enhanced' dialogue for nika and monica scene)

- there appears to be bugs in some dialogue choices displaying both responses back to back, assuming motkeyz will fix those in regular version

Last edited:

GuardianZ

Jun 12, 2017
I see what you did there at the end writer-san.

It looks like 'mom' got pregnant the last time the mc got freaky with her back in time.
The surprise she mentioned 'internal thought brackets' for the next week must be his sister/daughter from that fling.

And then I almost fell out of my gaming chair at the LOL surprise of DOC. To save your daughter!!!

That slayed me.

• Haha
Reactions: Aesouh and Motkeyz

the_beggar

Jul 1, 2020
It's understandable why the devs won't do it, but imo once the PC version leaks onto F95, the devs should just post the Mac version in the OP themselves in order to stop the Mac port begging

4.60 star(s) 116 Votes