VN Tip to the dev

Syploore

Jun 14, 2020
What advice can you give to a developer in creating AVN? What do you, in terms of game experience in AVN like/dislike about AVN's, what's a red flag for you in a game or something that would make you decide to play a AVN or even support the developer?

p.s i am talking about renpy VN with 3d from DAZ

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
What advice can you give to a developer in creating AVN?
To be curious, look at everything that surround him, explore new horizons, and so on. It's what permit you to write better stories and characters.

On a side note, it's also what would have permit you to discover that there's already dozen and dozen of threads answering, partly or totally, and in a way or another, to this question.

Reactions: Droid Productions

JoGio

Jun 19, 2018
As far as Gameplay:
Stay away from Sandbox unless you really know what you're doing. Sandbox games are great when done well (think Summertime Saga), but very hard to pull off. You need lots of a content, engaging gameplay mechanics/loop, etc. If the world feels empty, locations aren't reused in a meaningful way, and the gameplay is just a repetitive grind then it becomes grating to play.

Visuals:
Since you mention Daz, my biggest advice would be to create varied characters. You don't have to go crazy with designs, but character's shouldn't feel like the same template copied over and given different hair/skin/colors. Many games have characters with eerily similar faces despite them being totally unrelated to each other.

Jul 21, 2021
I dont play VNs that purely reading only with abit choice here and there like Japanese VNs tend to be. I like as jogio also said summertime saga where you have a open map to go explore and do different activities with people. But i think its bad design when you have to go all kinds of different rooms to get out the map or back to your room which SS has a little bit of. Events that are repeatable goes a big way in my book. Like if you say kiss someone and first they fine with it but after you gotten further with the relationship with them that event changes a bit for each time. Having a gallery is fine but always kinda losses that touch that you get when you play the game. Options are also important whether it be for a genre you wanna avoid in the game or clothes and even attitude different people have. I cant stress this enough but lets say im only interested in something in the game that has good size content but cant get it all because i didn't do stuff that leads to that stuff. Im no dev and can understand that many things go in to it but i dont wanna sit through minutes of text with something i dont like just to get to that stuff i like. Honestly not too big a fan of DAZ but thats because theres been plenty games with bad models so i kinda brush it over. But there's definitely been some games using it that looks fantastic so im not gonna skip something using it for that alone. But again as i said im not the VN player that enjoys them for reading and few clicks here and there for choices only.

Reactions: JoGio
Sep 3, 2017
I original made this guide for an NTR game but after looking at it again, it seems to work very well for other games as well. So, with minor tweaking to fit the AVN style, I present to you the 4 I’s.

Interaction
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Incentive
Interest
Integration
Now I cant exactly tell you how to do everything, but feel free to use this as a general guide.

whizwart

Apr 11, 2022
I hate dialouge that doesn't seem to serve a purpose or is redundant. A charecter mentioing 20 times that they are scared in one scene does not need to happen.i call this Moby Dick Syndrome.