To devs here, how much time did it take you to release the first version of your game ?

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
From the very first code input to the actual release of your game.

I'm genuinely curious about this.

Did you tried to make a tech demo or a bigger release ?

Which task was the most time consuming ?

Thanks.

Jamleng

Game Developer
Nov 6, 2018
Not counting experiences from the likes of photoshop/website building.

About 6 months of effort with lots of writing/learning/coding involved. By far the most time-consuming aspect of game development are those images/animations, no matter what program you use to create them.
In any case, for Lewd Town Adventures it resulted in quite a big release with about 2-3 hours of gameplay + 2200 images/animations or so...

The game got loads of negative feedback on the release and in hindsight, they were kind right. I could have saved myself a lot of time if I took more time studying the stuff I did as it took a lot of time for me and the game to get better. Make no mistake though, I'm still learning every day, even after many thousands of hours in. Rome is not built in one day, nor a year.

Long story short, how much time would it take right now to release a game from scratch once one is experienced? A couple of months including at least 40-hour work weeks, for a medium-sized release that would guaranteed have decent quality.
A pretty good demo could be done within a month.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Mow.Mow.Mow.

Oct 10, 2022
I don't think anyone could provide you with a serious answer for this because every game is different, not all are made in the same game engine, & everyone works at their own pace. All in all it could take you days, or weeks, or months, or even a whole year or more to cobble together a playable demo, because it's going to depend on you &/or your team & how many hours you are all are willing to work & how serious you are - if you treat it as a hobby & half-ass everything then you might as well slap a load of extra time on top, & that's assuming you &/or your team don't get bored & abandon the project mid-development (which happens a lot with indie games in general).

Reactions: Rafster