VN To make a patch: What's what and where do I start?

Guyin Cognito

Gentleman Pervert
Donor
Feb 23, 2018
TLDR:
Want another person making patches that fix bad grammar and cheesy "NOT" incest dialogue?
Great! Please hold my hand like an ignorant child and show me where to go to learn to do that, and I'll do it.

INFO:
Part of my problem is not being sure where to post. So, General Discussion it is!
I see a lot of potentially useful info about programming, cracking, modding, etc., but I can't find any sort of "guide to the guides" or general introduction thread.
I just want to make a dialogue patch. I have no interest in making major modifications to the functionality of anyone's game (for now). I'm not 100% clear if there is any significant difference between the terms Mod, Patch, or Translation in regards to how one would go about doing those things.

The thread "Modding Ren'py 101" basically just says how to download and use the tools that rip the files out. There's not really any other advice for newbies in the topic post, and the discussion beneath it rapidly descends into throwing around terms I'm not familiar with.

It seems like just editing dialogue ought to be relatively simple, and I do have some familiarity with programming, but I'm not sure where to look for the tools or ask questions.

ACTUAL QUESTIONS:
1. Are the tools listed as "Mod Tools" the same tools I would need for simply editing dialogue, or is that overkill?
2. Is "Modding Ren'py 101" the correct place to ask for help with writing dialogue patches? If not, where is?

WHAT I'M UP TO:
Due to my upbringing, I have a low tolerance for poor grammar. I've seen some I wanted to fix.
Also, every time I see a story that starts with,
"my mother is dead, so I'm living with an old friend of hers, but she is certainly NOT my own mother and her daughters are definitely NOT my actual sisters,"
it makes my eyes bleed.
Artistic freedom has intrinsic value regardless of the subject matter or format it takes. Frankly, if a big red dot, a drawing of a soup can someone else designed, and smears of feces on a canvas are "legitimate art," than so is everything on this website.
Okay, almost everything, but you get the idea.

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
This is quite easy. You only need two tools: UnRen.bat (provided by F95's admin) and a good text-editor (e.g. Notepad++).
Then you have two options:
1. you can edit the original scripts
2. you can keep them and create your own translation (a full set of text files)

If you choose the second option, you also need the Ren'py SDK, a tool that will extract all the in-game sentences. You can download it for free from the official site. It is better if it matches the version of the game engine.
For more info read havenest's tutorial.
You will have to choose a name for your language (e.g. GuyinCognitoish), generate the translation files and fix the grammar. Then you can launch the game, choose GuyinCognitoish from the options menu and have fun.

If the game you are going to fix is not complete, the second option is advisable. If the dev releases a new version of it, you must merge your edits with his/her scripts (and this may be a pain in the ass, depending on how many lines you have edited).