To Sound or Not To Sound That Is The Question

DoctorPervic

Game Developer
Aug 13, 2019
I am currently working on a Scifi Game that is fully sound effected, with a bit of background music where it is appropriated.
The only thing that is voiced in my game is the Computer, saying small sentances.

I would be interested to know how many people on F95 would be interested in playing a fully sound FX game or is the majority only interested in No sound.

DoctorPervic

Game Developer
Aug 13, 2019
you mean the kinky ai. well that was just an artistic render of her. I will have to see what she does for being kinky in the game :)

Machinist

Game Developer
Aug 24, 2020
I do the other way around, background music all the time and some sound effects here and there.

Regarding voice acting, I not really into it. Don't know, it just feels weird, but if it's a computer with a machine voice maybe it can work.

Another thing is that when I played games with voice acting the pace was really weird. I would look at a static image and wait for the voice to come out while I had already read the subtitles, so I would just skip the voice. This didn't happen during animation (like moaning in a sex scene), so in that regard it works imo.

Good luck on your game.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Put sound in it, ppl can always turn it off, they cannot turn it on if it is not there.
And keep in mind that there will be many people that will turn off the sound. Therefore, don't make them be more than ambiance effect ; whatever if it's music or SFX.

If, by example, you decided to have a SFX when someone knock on the door, don't make the character directly open the door. Try to insert a line like, "who can be knocking at this time", or whatever feel natural depending of the context, to make the players who've turned off the sound understand what is happening. Same if you use the music to set the mood, make it also reflect in the visual or dialog lines.
The game must be enhanced by the music and SFX, but still fully understandable without sound.

Reactions: DoctorPervic

DoctorPervic

Game Developer
Aug 13, 2019
And keep in mind that there will be many people that will turn off the sound. Therefore, don't make them be more than ambiance effect ; whatever if it's music or SFX.

If, by example, you decided to have a SFX when someone knock on the door, don't make the character directly open the door. Try to insert a line like, "who can be knocking at this time", or whatever feel natural depending of the context, to make the players who've turned off the sound understand what is happening. Same if you use the music to set the mood, make it also reflect in the visual or dialog lines.
The game must be enhanced by the music and SFX, but still fully understandable without sound.
Yea that is what I am doing right now. Because I understand that there are many people that like to play without sound. I neeed to make sure they know what is happening. :)

K.T.L.

Keeping Families Together
Donor
Mar 5, 2019
If you're adding sound, do a few balancing runs before release. There's nothing worse than having to constantly mess about with the volume control because some parts are barely detectable while others send your speakers cones flying across the room.

Reactions: DeMarcus16

DoctorPervic

Game Developer
Aug 13, 2019
If you're adding sound, do a few balancing runs before release. There's nothing worse than having to constantly mess about with the volume control because some parts are barely detectable while others send your speakers cones flying across the room.
I absolutely agree 100000% Ive been having that problum already so ive been working to make sure that all my sound effects are around the correct sound level. :D It is very good advice. thanks

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
I feel like one of the main ways we're failing to improve our games is lack of atmospheric sound. that's just such a huge thing, and the main way how emotions are conveyed on film. not by acting with your face, but staying neutral and letting the sounscape create the emotion. any time an actor tries to Act it looks like it's too much. there are only a handful of actors good enough to actually act, for 99% of hollywood sound is used instead.

fx? maybe. if it tells a story that's otherwise absent. but never as a rule.

voice acting is just always awful. it tends to emphasize how banal the text is. it can only sound good if the text is great, but lets face it, it never is. better just avoid it.

Crimson Delight Games

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2020
Depends on the quality of the voice work.

Honestly, you're better off not including any if it's poorly mixed. On the other hand, good sound design and implementation really elevates a game above its other assets - Morrowind is a prime example, and had an absolutely amazing atmosphere that was buoyed by its sound design (especially the crypts and daedric temples).

Diconica

Apr 25, 2020
It depends on the game. If you are making it with RPGM the only thing I care about is that there is a response sound to let me know when I clicked something it works. I turn off BGM entirely.

If it is something like a diablo based hack and slash or similar game then yea sound is great it tells you a lot.

If it is a VN again I don't care much one way or the other so long as I can turn it off if I find it annoying.