Tools for cleaning up duplicate & similar images and videos?

tight-abs

Aug 26, 2021
Do you have any good tools that you use for dup detection? I haven't found one for cleaning up duplicate or similar videos. For images, "AntiDupl.Net" is my latest favorite, although it has problems like all of them it seems. A great feature that I find indispensable is that you can set one directory as "A" and another as "B" and then decide if you want comparisons within directories or just across them. (this makes it easy to remove duplicates from a folder of "new arrivals" before moving them to an organized folder that is already cleaned but contains false positive similarities within it). The downsides are that you sometimes get buggy UI behavior.

A truly great tool for these tasks would be worth paying for, I just find it hard to trust google research on which ones are worth it.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
For images I always used SimilarImages (or SimImages). It has the feature you are asking. I don't know anything for videos.

Also, this should be in Off-topic.

tight-abs

Aug 26, 2021
Thanks for the clarification. (I could have sworn I put the thread into 'general discussion' and now I'm slightly embarrassed that I'm mistaken. Or maybe it was moved already?)

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
Thanks for the clarification. (I could have sworn I put the thread into 'general discussion' and now I'm slightly embarrassed that I'm mistaken. Or maybe it was moved already?)
The latter, most likely. I'm sure it was on GD.

anon8525

Mar 26, 2021
for videos : i recommend going for v2 for the moment as v3 is in alpha/beta stage and can be unstable
edit: it says it can do images but i never tried it personnaly so don't know how well it works but for vids it's the best i found.
edit2: also i recommend setting the number of thumbnails higher in the settings so it has less false positives Screenshot from 2021-08-31 20-19-03.png

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019
For still images you might be interested in this thread and also having a look at the results.
Personally I mostly use for its features for sorting, displaying and handling image couples, but sometimes I have different specific needs and use some other program listed in my other thread.

Reactions: Adabelitoo