Topic of Dead/abandoned games, What we should do about them and other matters.

RunningFurniture

Mar 4, 2019
I have seen a lot of good games end up dead or abandoned.... and every i do, I feel sad that such a potentially fun game was ended so soon. I would suggest a graveyard page for the dead/abandoned games, in memory of the games that had so much to show, but the passion faded or we lost a creator.
That being said, I feel like we should take a more pessimist approach to the new game devs, wait 6 months, and see if they still have the drive before posting their works. It's just my opinion, but seeing such good games die just hurts to watch.

What do you guys think, should we be a bit more critical on new devs making promises? Am i being to negative? I'm not discouraging people to make games, but they have to prove they have the know how and drive to "walk the walk" as they say. I know life happens, it sucks, but working on a game is HARD. Its not something anyone can do.

I rambled on enough. Let me know what you think.

Corvo Bianco

Aug 1, 2019
On the other hand, it is harder to work in a cocoon without positive feedback and encouragement. Developers are doing a massive amount of work, often for free, and if you can help them in any way, or at least avoid making their lives harder - this is the way. Bombarding them with critique won't help anyone involved.

sillyrobot

Engaged Member
Apr 22, 2019
I have seen a lot of good games end up dead or abandoned.... and every i do, I feel sad that such a potentially fun game was ended so soon. I would suggest a graveyard page for the dead/abandoned games, in memory of the games that had so much to show, but the passion faded or we lost a creator.
That being said, I feel like we should take a more pessimist approach to the new game devs, wait 6 months, and see if they still have the drive before posting their works. It's just my opinion, but seeing such good games die just hurts to watch.

What do you guys think, should we be a bit more critical on new devs making promises? Am i being to negative? I'm not discouraging people to make games, but they have to prove they have the know how and drive to "walk the walk" as they say. I know life happens, it sucks, but working on a game is HARD. Its not something anyone can do.

I rambled on enough. Let me know what you think.
Yeah, it's hard to fathom the entitlement required to complain someone stopped making something that you enjoy, but are pirating. Oh noes! The humanity!

RunningFurniture

Mar 4, 2019
On the other hand, it is harder to work in a cocoon without positive feedback and encouragement. Developers are doing a massive amount of work, often for free, and if you can help them in any way, or at least avoid making their lives harder - this is the way. Bombarding them with critique won't help anyone involved.
I agree, I just can't stand seeing good games die

M$hot

May 28, 2017
Often a developer spends months coming up with the idea, storyboarding it, working out the details, getting all the stuff together and getting started on the 0.01. So it may very well be 6 months into development where they are ready to show a 0.01, and you then want them to wait a further 6 months to do what exactly? Except for a few, most of the time the fact a 0.01 has come out, to me at least, speaks of enough dedication. Flames burn out, real life changes, but the rates of that happening would go up, not down if there was another arbitrary waiting period.

On the flipside, what if a dev is getting sick of working on their game? Perhaps they want to complete it before you feel the maximum potential has been achieved. I think we should be grateful people are making games, and yes, that also means some not so good games will make it to the 'Latest Updates' and some games will end up abandoned, but it's better than it being a ghost-town there.

Last edited:
Reactions: ForgottenMan1

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
Yeah, it's hard to fathom the entitlement required to complain someone stopped making something that you enjoy, but are pirating. Oh noes! The humanity!
Game abandonment happens a lot when the piracy of the game is more noticeable than the Patreon subs. It's kind of hard to take criticism from someone who steals your work. My thing has always been if I can just earn enough to keep my PC running and upgrade or replace something on my PC when I need to. 6 years later still not at that point.

• Sad
Reactions: M$hot

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017

Most of you have probably heard of this guy Socrates, but did you know that he was murdered by democrats?

That's right, the left wing killed the dude.

know-thyself-pt1.jpg

All men are not created equal. Talent is not equally distributed. Everyone is good at something.

Teamwork-2.png
Dollarphotoclub_76404227-copy.jpg

masqetch

Feb 24, 2020
I think that most of the abandoned games are natural cut-off, they didn't have a chance from the start. But abandoned games like "Dungeons and Prisoners" or "SimGirl" are heartbreaking.

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
Most are greed and people trying to make quick money. They start out thinking that can make good renders in Daz so they make a game but can't write a compelling story worth a shit and there English grammar is god awful. Then when they don't make X amount of money on the game by a certain time they bail. When you start a game for the money and not because you want to make it then it a failure from the start. As your hearts not in it

JamaicanHorde

Dec 24, 2019
Most are greed and people trying to make quick money. They start out thinking that can make good renders in Daz so they make a game but can't write a compelling story worth a shit and there English grammar is god awful. Then when they don't make X amount of money on the game by a certain time they bail. When you start a game for the money and not because you want to make it then it a failure from the start. As your hearts not in it
Hmm, what if the game has good art :p? Let's say the plot's trash, mechanics are woefully average, but the artwork shows promise. Would you support the devs hoping they'll get their shit together by the final release of the game?