Trails of The Dreaming Forest - WIP Action RPG

Pansam

Sep 6, 2019
SZAR.png Hello everyone!

Our team is working on an adult action rpg made in unity and we would like some feedback.
You play as a young ambitious ranger who is tasked with protecting an ancient forest.
The game is centered around exploring the forest, gathering its resources and meeting its inhabitants.
We place heavy emphasis on the gameplay elements. We want to make it enjoyable, and not just a bothersome part of the game, you have to get through to access the adult content.

Our most immediate goal is to make a playable build. We’ve already implemented the game’s core systems such as the combat,modular enemy behaviour system, attribute system, crafting, dialogue system(thanks to fungus, check it out), item system. In order to make our first playable build we need to create items/crafting recipes, make dungeons and string together our ideas into a coherent story. We want our first build to have a decent amount of adult content. We are still experimenting with animations, but we believe that we can have our adult scenes animated in our first build.
We would appreciate some feedback. Does this sound like the kind of game you would play?
We will also launch our patreon page with our first build. Until then, you can keep in touch with us here, or on our discord :
Dialogue/art:

Combat:

TestBossfight:

Bladebur

Apr 27, 2019
Looks very good so far, but it’s hard to give valuable feedback just yet. I think your game is missing some kind of hook or motivation both for the player to try the game and for the protagonist to meet those girls and protect that forest. What makes them special? You mention a good number of mechanics and features, which is good, but it would be better if you give more focus to the one or two things you do really well, IMHO.

The gifs look pretty great. I think the dialogue text would be more readable with a dark background or panel, and the character going through the boss looks a bit weird (collision detection issue?) but it’s hard to say with just a few small gifs.

It’s really promising in any case. Good luck with your Patreon!

Pansam

Sep 6, 2019
Unfortunately there's really not a whole lot to give feedback on yet i agree.
For now we've been focusing on creating the basic mechanics and establishing the art style of the game. The two questions we were curious about is: "Do people like the art style?" and "Do people care about gameplay in western adult games?"
One of our hooks is "adult game with gameplay", but i agree thats just a part of it. Hopefully as we start to create and implement a story, we'll be able to build up a attractive image of the game.
Another thing is that we are trying to build up a tiny discord community. It would be nice to have a small community that we can pitch our spontaneous ideas to, and ask their opinion on it.
We'll see what we can do with the dialogue text. We were trying to copy nekopara's style: no textbox, to have more space for characters, but a transparent background could also work. We haven't spent a whole lot of time on the ui yet.
Ill look and see what i can do with the collision. For gameplay purposes, it makes sense, to make the collision box of a big enemy smaller, than the model, but i agree that it looks weird, when the player clips through it. I'll either just make its collider bigger, or build a collider that follows its shape much more closely.
Thanks for the kind words! Even just one person telling us that the game looks promising gives us a huge motivation. Can't exactly brag to most friends and family about this kind of thing hehe.

Reactions: Derreitius

Bladebur

Apr 27, 2019
Please, don't be discouraged if you don't get enough feedback. Building a community is very hard and requires a lot of time, not to mention how hard it is to get any visibility at all, as there is just way too much stuff going on everywhere in this day and age. However, if you create something special, I'm sure the players will come, and I think you're already on the right path.

Just keep up the good work and go forward with your vision. Also, feel free to make the game you want to make, and ignore uninformed gripes coming from Internet randos like myself XD

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Absolutely love the gameplay look so far. It looks incredibly promising.
It's a fresh breath of air from what we are used to.
The production value also looks above the average hobbies game.

If the gameplay is not a simple slash and hack but actually in-depth mechanics and with a story that is decent- this game will definitely reach some heights. I'm certain of that.

Pansam

Sep 6, 2019
Initially we want to keep the complexity of the gameplay fairly simple. Do dungeons, gather resources, craft your stuff. For now we go with the monster hunter formula, where you get all your power/abilities from your equipment/consumables. This also makes it easier for us to handle balance, and makes the crafting more impactfull. We will most likely include extra mechanics during development based on player feedback as long as we had got the basics down correctly. It will be easier to add more depth to out game once it has playable content, as we can actually try out things instead of just planing out how it should work. For art we will mostly focus on characters for now, to help grab people's attention, and build a small community.
We try to make it a habit to make notes of ideas, so feel free to share your favorite game mechanics.

Reactions: Derreitius