Tutorial Tool Translating Games for Beginners

Sep 4, 2019
There is no secret that there are perhaps hundreds of games in Japanese that never get localized or translated into English. Maybe one game caught your fancy and you want to play it, but the language barrier blocked you from actually playing and understanding the game. This guide will recommend three primary programs I use to translate games into English and should provide a robust toolset to translate virtually any game.

Tools
While there are many translation services such as Google translate or DeepL, translating a game from Japanese will require programs to extract the text and translate them. This makes the job ten times easier if you apply the program correctly to your game. Below I will go over the programs I use for translating games.

Translator++
Translator++ is a unique program developed by Dreamsavior because he too wanted to play Japanese games. With this program, you can not only machine translate the game, but also modify the translations manually. Furthermore, it has many translator services available, including DeepL if you contribute to his Patreon.

Downsides
The program is only really useful in my opinion when it can work with the specified game engines it can modify. You can check their documentation, but the program is indeed limited in that regard. Furthermore, DeepL is not released in the public version yet... but it does have a plethora of other translating services available. So in the end, this program might not work for everyone. Especially if the game is over a decade old. So... what next then?

Textractor
This program is similar to Translator++ in the sense that it pulls and extracts text from the game that is running. However, this program works with pretty much all games in translating dialogue. So visual novels are a really good fit for this program.

Downsides
This program, like Translator++ can extract dialogue fairly easily. However, if the game has many buttons, icons, or menu labels that need to be translated, it often won't get picked up in the program, or would be difficult. So, if there are a ton of items to translate, what's the last option?

Universal Game Translator
This program is a bit different from the previous two. While the previous two directly translated by extracting the text from the game, this translator extracts and translates using images. Basically, you screen capture the text you want translated, and then it will return a translation in its place. The great thing is that this works on any text you select, so it can be applied to other mediums other than games. News articles, websites, literature.... many things. But this program fills in the gap and need for translating menu items in games where there might be many buttons to translate.

Downsides
While it does a decent job, it can be tiring to use if there are tons of dialogue. Furthermore, it only accepts a google API key or google translation service. It should really be used in a limited capacity.

Example of Using this Toolset
Recently, there was a game I wanted to play. However, as you may have guessed, it is only in Japanese. So, lets go through my journey of translating it to finally play the game.
If your curious...

1. Try Translator++
Translator++.jpg
Translator++ is usually the first program I try to use since it has much more customization options and capabilities when it comes to game translations. Furthermore, it has many translating services available. However, it is limited in the fact that it can only be used on so many game engines.
Game Folder.jpg
The game I want translated in this example makes the job harder, since I have no idea what game engine this game uses. So, I checked the store page. However, the fact that this game was distributed only through DVD is not a good sign.... Furthermore, the game was released in 2010.... So, translating with Translator++ is probably not going to work.

2. Try Universal Game Translator
UGT.jpg
Because the game had some buttons in the menu I didn't understand, I wanted to try and use the universal game translator to translate some of the buttons. The program isn't perfect, but it works.

3. Textractor
Although I say last resort, this program is still good. It just has a ton of windows when it opens. But it works with practically any game I have used so far. Although, I have to say, even this program had some trouble extracting some of the text in the beginning... Luckily, it worked out.
Textractor.jpg

Conclusion
These three programs will definitely aid you in your quest to play many Japanese games in the future. Especially games where it is unlikely they will ever be translated. Heck, the game I was trying to translate isn't even being sold anymore. Well, hopefully this helped you translate the game you wanted to play. Have fun!

Download Links
Translator++

Textractor

Universal Game Translator

Basic Guides
Translator++

Textractor

Using DeepL in Textractor
DeepL:

Devtools DeepL:

Last edited:

lifesuckz69

Mar 5, 2017
I have 2 huge issues with textractor:
a) DeepL gives me an Error, while Bing and Google are just shit.
b) It repeats text over and over in the textbox

Sep 4, 2019
I have 2 huge issues with textractor:
a) DeepL gives me an Error, while Bing and Google are just shit.
b) It repeats text over and over in the textbox
If you go into their extensions, you probably have to re-arrange their extensions so that "remove repeated characters" is higher priority over the translation engine. The order matters.
Furthermore, I use the "Devtools DeepL Translate.xdll" as the translator which is different from the DeepL translator. Here are two videos covering how to use "DeepL" and "Devtools DeepL" respectively in textractor that I used.

Using DeepL in Textractor:

Using Devtools DeepL in Textractor:

But yes, Textractor can certainly pick up extra artifacts if the game isn't a visual novel or something similar where a textbox is visible. But moving around the extension will do wonders, as it will remove the repeating words you are probably seeing.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: LatinHen

lifesuckz69

Mar 5, 2017
I tried the extensions, made it better but not removed it completely, guess it was just how the game was set up (It has a menu with buttons basically that are in textform and it repeated them, also there was a delay before the extension removed everything doubled)

Sep 4, 2019
I tried the extensions, made it better but not removed it completely, guess it was just how the game was set up (It has a menu with buttons basically that are in textform and it repeated them, also there was a delay before the extension removed everything doubled)
Yeah, some games with speech bubbles with names will be repeated in Textractor since it will be picked up by the program. Idk if there is another extension you could use for that, but I haven't searched for it yet. You might have to check the other hooks in the program as well to see if there are any that produce the translation without any weird text.

To remove the latency in translation, you could try the first Youtube video's method since it seems to provide faster translation. Personally though, I haven't tried it yet.

jaden_yuki

Jul 11, 2017
guys. I'm having a problem with textractor that it hooks, sends to the clipboard, and translates LINE PER LINE instead of the full-text box. which leads to problems like this:

Sem título.png

I tried other alternatives and didn't like any :cry:

Sep 4, 2019
guys. I'm having a problem with textractor that it hooks, sends to the clipboard, and translates LINE PER LINE instead of the full-text box. which leads to problems like this:

View attachment 1359925

I tried other alternatives and didn't like any :cry:
I would first try and fiddle around with your extensions. They are usually the foremost settings which would probably affect this. Personally, I would just keep "Copy to Clipboard", "Extra Window", "translation tool", "Remove Repeated Phrases", and Remove Repeated Characters." Make sure they are in that order cause order matters in the extensions.

You could also try look for more hooks if that doesn't work. But idk why its doing that. The program usually extracts everything, so its weird that its not translating everything in the box unless they aren't in the same box.

jaden_yuki

Jul 11, 2017
I would first try and fiddle around with your extensions. They are usually the foremost settings which would probably affect this. Personally, I would just keep "Copy to Clipboard", "Extra Window", "translation tool", "Remove Repeated Phrases", and Remove Repeated Characters." Make sure they are in that order cause order matters in the extensions.

You could also try look for more hooks if that doesn't work. But idk why its doing that. The program usually extracts everything, so its weird that its not translating everything in the box unless they aren't in the same box.
they're in the same box, but not in the same line, that's the thing. plus I don't know how to get more hooks :/

jaden_yuki

Jul 11, 2017
Thats just the generation menu I think. You should have more options after that I THINK. I haven't run into your problem before, so I wouldn't know how to fix that problem specifically.
I could send you the name of the game, the version of my textractor, and my OS's version if you want.

The Revenant

Jun 3, 2017
Can't you just use google lens on your phone to read the dialogues? saves the trouble of setting so many things up. Have any of you tried it? Just curious.

The Revenant

Jun 3, 2017
Can't you just use google lens on your phone to read the dialogues? saves the trouble of setting so many things up. Have any of you tried it? Just curious.
Nevermind, holding your phone or that long is a pain in the hand unless there is a holder. Back to translating the other ways for me I guess.

stiflerBR

Jan 12, 2022
Guys, I'm trying to translate this game into Brazilian Portuguese, but an error message appears in renpy when generating the translations

Error Message: Project Execution Failed.
make sure your project runs normally before trying this command

Sieglinnde

Let the Nightshine in - Developer
Game Developer
Dec 2, 2019
I've been using textractor in its 32-bit version for RPGMAKERMV games in Japanese, but... I've always had problems with the 64-bit version, and I was really wondering if there was anyone who could help me? In the 64-bit version I have the same configuration as in the 32-bit version, but when I try to use it with some game, it never shows me the translation... It's like it didn't recognize it, you know? It's quite frustrating... Is there anyone who knows how to help me?

Ion.TemUS

Jun 8, 2017
I've been using textractor in its 32-bit version for RPGMAKERMV games in Japanese, but... I've always had problems with the 64-bit version, and I was really wondering if there was anyone who could help me? In the 64-bit version I have the same configuration as in the 32-bit version, but when I try to use it with some game, it never shows me the translation... It's like it didn't recognize it, you know? It's quite frustrating... Is there anyone who knows how to help me?
I have similar problems with WolfRPG. Unfortunately Translator++ can apparently not extract files except for "CommonReference" from WolfRPG games despite having a dedicated WRPG parser. And Textractor has the issue that while it picks up some of the text of often ignores large parts of the characters and what comes out is a jumbled simplified mess. Its like its translating chinese instead of Japanese (its not tho, I have it set to Japanese and it also is randommly just ignoring certain characers in the text, regardless of the extensions I use).

3443.PNG
34432.PNG