VN Translating Saiminjutsu Re: Finding text in .med files?

avervon

Modder
Sep 24, 2022
Hi,

I would like to translate a game called Saiminjutsu Re, a visual novel from 2014. I don't know what engine it's on, though I don't think it's using the more popular engines like Kirikiri or Tyrano, and the version has data in an .mdf file I extracted. I will say it does look similar to Kirikiri, but it seems to be using different file types. On its own the text is garbled, but with a locale emulator it works.
2023-02-28 11_18_54-催眠術Re.png

I have a suspicion a lot of the text is contained within the .med files, as I've found a few strings of English using Notepad++ that are readable:
text.png
However the rest is unintelligible, either because Notepad++ can't recognize the text, or because it's in a format Notepad++ can't read it in. Attempting to use regular Notepad or Wordpad crashes the application.

There also don't seem to be any other files worth noting, as the rest are .dat files related to setting configurations, such as the launcher or fontset.

Is there a way for me to approach trying to translate this, or should I cut my losses on this one?

Boarborn

Apr 11, 2022
it's far different from usual kirikiri files. it's a binary file, even if notepad++ has a plugin for it, which I doubt, it's a very difficult task.
you can try many avaiable hex editors, but still you need to know the structure of file well enough.

passing that, you probably need to encrypt and repack it. so I guess you better forget it, or find some competent programmer.

Reactions: avervon

avervon

Modder
Sep 24, 2022
Crap, really wish I took a course on encryption to understand this kind of stuff.

I know people have come up with decoders in the past for RPG Maker MV/MZ and .sl files but considering how niche .med files seem to be and how old this game is relative to everything else I'll probably leave it to the side for now until I either find said competent programmer, or get fed up enough to figure it out on my own.

Thanks for responding, was trying to mess with different encodings in Notepad++ and figured it wasn't as simple as changing it to UTF-8 or Japanese encoding.

Reactions: sandis922

chronus666

Nov 2, 2022
You can extracted it using dxlib stuff and translate it. I don't know any other method currently. This is not mine, i got this from [Translation Request] Light Wing Senki Extia [VJ009415] [Lusterise] forum.