Translation Help

NoxAeternae

Jul 8, 2018
Hello hello lovely folks and deviants. As a way to get some practice writing and getting familiar with the whole development process for my future project, I want to try my hand at translation and hopefully help some folks play games they'd like to play. I've worked as a Japanese translator for about 1.5 years so I have experience but my experience is in translating comics so I have no idea how to go about translating a game. If you could give me some pointers and introduce me to some tools I'd appreciate it. I'm also open to suggestions about games to translate, I'd like to translate something well written and fun to play.

morgorot

Oct 7, 2018
Here you have some tools:
Translator++(i love this tool):The best tool (in my humble opinion) for translators of RPGmaker games give it a look i promise that will not disappoint you.It have a friendly interface not hard to use and understand also have some tutorials to know how to use it.

Visual Novel Reader:A tool with lots of options to help you translate the common VNs (i do not know how to tag them you know like "Taimanin asagi" and "Kuroinu" XD) as a counter i would say that due to the amount of options it can feel a little scary at the beginning but once you pick the trick you will love it.

Ren'py games:Well i do not have a tool for them i just recommend to search inside the game folder, that is what i do it is not hard to find the scripts.

side tips
* if you are going to translate games make sure to copy all the symbols that are not related to the dialog(you will recognize them because they do not display "in game") exactly the same as the original text(EX:dots,slashes,spaces...etc) because if you miss one or write it wrong could lead to a crash in game at that dialog part.

*So if the JP version does not crash and your translated game does 90% sure that you miss a symbol.

*The rest 10% is that probably the compilator did something wrong so try export your work again