Translation tool that can detect from images

EmpsChsn

Aug 12, 2017
I'm looking for a translation tool that has some level of ocr capability. I remember having it and it had the ability to read the text from a game like many of the other translators out there, but it also had a "zoom" function that would create a little pop out window you could hover over something to translate it in real time (not screenshotting whatever the text in and loading it). I'm trying to play one of the Beelzebub games, and while Textractor works well for everything else, it doesn't pick up the ui nor the dialogue options when those come up as they are part of an image I think. Does anyone know of the translation tool I'm talking about or can point me to one that can do what I need?

God3333

Mar 9, 2019
I'm not 100% sure, but the oct software I think you're referring to is capture2Text. It has that specific zoom function with the pop out box etc. I mean, a lot of the time OCR won't work especially when text is drawn as opposed to written due to handwriting.
Here's a like to the site

EmpsChsn

Aug 12, 2017
I'm not 100% sure, but the oct software I think you're referring to is capture2Text. It has that specific zoom function with the pop out box etc. I mean, a lot of the time OCR won't work especially when text is drawn as opposed to written due to handwriting.
Here's a like to the site
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked it out but it unfortunately you're right that it doesn't like hand-written text. Tested it out with various games and it comes out with jibberish mostly.

God3333

Mar 9, 2019
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked it out but it unfortunately you're right that it doesn't like hand-written text. Tested it out with various games and it comes out with jibberish mostly.
Yea, most ocr software is like that. OCR is not new, however, has all the issues of a new software. OCR is great for typed text, but it cannot distinguish between hand written text as everyone has their own writing style and for it to be recognised the style would have to be like exactly like a typed character which looks very hard for languages like Japanese and Chinese.
Another OCR software that I used, and felt was able to more correctly identify letters, was one called kanjiTomo: Here's the link
it also has a zoom feature.
As I've said, OCR is really bad and more often than not gets thing wrong, but it's worth a try if the non-English text ruins your immersion.

Also, if you really can't cope with OCR you could try looking to see if anyone has tried translating the games images. There's a big community around translating doujins so you may be in luck.

There are other types of software that can do image translation, but they're very niche and you would only really find them by research on GitHub or reddit *The hub of intellectuals*
Lemme know if any of these work.

EmpsChsn

Aug 12, 2017
Yea, most ocr software is like that. OCR is not new, however, has all the issues of a new software. OCR is great for typed text, but it cannot distinguish between hand written text as everyone has their own writing style and for it to be recognised the style would have to be like exactly like a typed character which looks very hard for languages like Japanese and Chinese.
Another OCR software that I used, and felt was able to more correctly identify letters, was one called kanjiTomo: Here's the link
it also has a zoom feature.
As I've said, OCR is really bad and more often than not gets thing wrong, but it's worth a try if the non-English text ruins your immersion.

Also, if you really can't cope with OCR you could try looking to see if anyone has tried translating the games images. There's a big community around translating doujins so you may be in luck.

There are other types of software that can do image translation, but they're very niche and you would only really find them by research on GitHub or reddit *The hub of intellectuals*
Lemme know if any of these work.
KanjiTomo was the one! Unfortunately, it's also struggling a bit. I've looked on ULMF too but there isn't really a translation effort for the game at the moment. I talked to a guy who got everything running on textractor and he helped me out a bit on getting it to pick up the text. As of now, it seems to be working about as best as one can get it to, and if it misses something I can always translate it the tried and true way.

Thanks for the help though. I really appreciate it.

God3333

Mar 9, 2019
KanjiTomo was the one! Unfortunately, it's also struggling a bit. I've looked on ULMF too but there isn't really a translation effort for the game at the moment. I talked to a guy who got everything running on textractor and he helped me out a bit on getting it to pick up the text. As of now, it seems to be working about as best as one can get it to, and if it misses something I can always translate it the tried and true way.

Thanks for the help though. I really appreciate it.
No problem, it's a real shame there aren't really any good translation software that come within 60% accuracy. It really does kill the immersion of the game or manga you're reading. Do let me know if you find any that work.

EmpsChsn

Aug 12, 2017
No problem, it's a real shame there aren't really any good translation software that come within 60% accuracy. It really does kill the immersion of the game or manga you're reading. Do let me know if you find any that work.
Yeah. Will do if I come across one.

Fibbers

Jul 28, 2020
Following. I've been looking for this kind of tool too but the ones I found are premium.

Ytiza

Apr 26, 2018
EmpsChsn Fibbers here is what i use i hope it helps you.
Its just LDPlayer with google translate on it.
I didn't want to record my whole screen.
so what you can't see is how i adjust the small screenshot window.
the translation is not really clean when it comes to handwriting. But I use it for games and it works quite well there.

Ytiza

Apr 26, 2018
I dont know if this is relevant but i use LDPlayer 3.0 and the google translate version is v6.13.0.03.335515430
It just worked for me and so i never updated.

asnaz

Feb 6, 2018
I looked a lot far a good OCR program to hook Japanese text from mangas with complex images such like a blue text on a purple background, and yet i still haven't find a proper 100% accurute one. So far the ones that i find worth trying are capture2text and sharex. Other than those they all feel lame and outdated. And another one is the Manga OCR which is good as well but trying to understand how to load it (you do some stuff in command promt + use some python) a bit hard and will breaking but in the end i made it work but still it's not good in complex images. If the paid ones would be more accurute than others they would have made sound till know so i believe they are in the ''meh'' category as well with a different user interface probably.

Capture2Text from my experiences works like a charm with mangas and images that has white background and written in black mostly.

ShareX sometimes amazes me and there are times it can't ocr some images proparly.

Ytiza

Apr 26, 2018
Well thats funny i use sharex for years now because its so easy to sreenshot stuff and upload it but it can translate rly???

Reactions: asnaz

asnaz

Feb 6, 2018

Ytiza

Apr 26, 2018
well thats nice deepl seems to be the best. thanks for youre post but i think i will keep doing what i do now.