Trojan issues

Gaisa

Mar 2, 2018
I have no idea where it came from or why, but powershell started popping up during every boot, though I didn't initially find anything wrong, it was more than a little annoying.

I spent quite a while hunting this down, and eventually learned it was a trojan which seemed to have two effects on my computer:
1, it SERIO|USLY bogged it down and caused multiple crashes.
2, it transmitted EVERY password used on my browsers, which resulted in the very tedious job of changing ALL my passwords :cry:...

With ths in mind, I believe its fair to share what I found, in case one of you guys get caught out by this nasty little bug and need to identify/confirm whether you have it.
1... Check your user folder (c:\user\[username]) if it has a folder named ".steam" (with the period mark at the beginning) and it contains "steam_[string of numbers].csproj", you have your first potential confirmation.
2... Check your c:\user\[user]\appdata\roaming folder for "ProfessionalSingleLanguage.dat" if present, you have your second confirmation.

3... use malwarebytes antimalware to do a deep scan, it'll find those, several registry strings and such naming it as "trojan.powershell.e.generic" or something similar, whereas the microsoft community site has it listed as " "

If you get positives, I suggest deleting the .steam folder and "ProfessionalSingleLanguage.dat" , then letting malwarebytes quarantine the rest.

Good luck and I hope you DON'T have the virus!

Also, the following page is a fair reference to what I learned online.

{edit}
The aforementioned virus effectively neuters most AV software by creating some really annoying exclusions, so, once you have removed the virus, check your primary anti virus software and disable/remove any/all exclusions created by the virus. That way, your AV system should be back up and running again

Last edited:

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
Hm. I wonder if you attempted to cheat in counter strike by downloading some super-giga-awesome-unlimited-godlike "cheat" somewhere. :whistle::coffee:

Gaisa

Mar 2, 2018
Hm. I wonder if you attempted to cheat in counter strike by downloading some super-giga-awesome-unlimited-godlike "cheat" somewhere. :whistle::coffee:
Afraid not, I don't even have that game and while I have a steam account, I prefer to use epic games, especially with the amount of free games available AND the weekly freebies LOL.

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
I prefer to use epic games, especially with the amount of free games available AND the weekly freebies LOL.
I can agree with that, Epic sure does the right kind of advertisement for itself with that deal.
Gabe and co. probably sweating like mad now, because Epic is going places.
The only thing i don't like about Epic's direction is.. that they allowed blockchain on the platform.
Still, at least it's clearly visible so one can avoid it if one wishes. :whistle::coffee:

Ass prefer

Sep 30, 2022
Like that he might have picked up a virus when he was looking for cheats for this game? do you seriously think he's 12 years old?))
I wonder where this is coming from?

unfreezer

Dec 16, 2023
Use Kaspersky or Hitman Pro with Portmaster, it makes your PC basically invulnerable to RATs. Portmaster is basically a firewall program superior to what Windows already has. You can configure it to block connections automatically, so you can choose which program can access the internet or not. So if some hacker tries to get you, he can't do a single thing. If you're into piracy, only download from trusted repackers.

Gaisa

Mar 2, 2018
-amused chuckle- while I keep tabs on and collect interesting games through epic, this computer's too old to run a fair chunk of them, so I'm hoarding what I'm interested in for when I can play them.
As for cheats? sometimes, but if its a MMO or the like, hell no!

Reactions: ♍VoidTraveler

Gaisa

Mar 2, 2018
Use Kaspersky or Hitman Pro with Portmaster, it makes your PC basically invulnerable to RATs. Portmaster is basically a firewall program superior to what Windows already has. You can configure it to block connections automatically, so you can choose which program can access the internet or not. So if some hacker tries to get you, he can't do a single thing. If you're into piracy, only download from trusted repackers.
I have fairly strong AV and firewall software, including my being one of the few who managed to get a lifetime subscription to malwarebytes before they limited their subscription options.
However, I tend to use malwarebytes as a scanner more than a firewall system because it's firewall options are too strong for me: it actively shuts down anything even remotely "off" to its AI and that can be frustrating; manually imputting every "safe" site I have access to is downright annoying, so I use the default firewall and windoze security, but scan frequently with malwarebytes to check/eliminate anything that slipped the net.

As for kaspersky, I've had bad dealings with them and McCaffee which makes me leery of either company and as such, I'd rather not have any future dealings with them

Last edited: