Trope busting games

frap

Oct 17, 2018
There are several discussions around tropes in games: least favorite, most favorite, random lists, etc.

Instead, I'd like to find out which games subvert these tropes: set you up with a trope expectation only to turn it on its head, or turn it into a red herring.

Sadly, I've not found many examples of this.

Heavy Five breaks a few:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Where the Heart is.

It got to the point where it was looking like one of those semi harem games whee MC fucks who he wants with no consequences, I accused the game of doing just that.

I was so wrong. Shit is starting to get real there and the king dick MC trope is about to get shattered. Also he's managed to have several successful relationships on the go and none of them have involved sleep rape or shower spying. Amazing that.

I can't think of a single incest game that doesn't have any of the typical tropes.

Ataios

Sep 11, 2017
Where the Heart is.

It got to the point where it was looking like one of those semi harem games whee MC fucks who he wants with no consequences, I accused the game of doing just that.

I was so wrong. Shit is starting to get real there and the king dick MC trope is about to get shattered. Also he's managed to have several successful relationships on the go and none of them have involved sleep rape or shower spying. Amazing that.

I can't think of a single incest game that doesn't have any of the typical tropes.
https://f95zone.to/threads/inevitable-relations-v0-1a-kinneyx23.4243/
Inevitable Relations is an incest game that doesn't have any coercion or blackmail as well. IMHO it's one of the better incest games, but that is purely subjective as it features mom-daughter and some other lesbian content. There is a mom-son path as well, but why would I play this one, if I can have a lesbian path instead?

I can't really say, whether it's a trope busting game, but with the mother being a cop (a real one, not the uniform fetish type) instead of a housewife, it's at least different from most incest games. Maybe you will also be able to avoid the incest altogether, convince the son, that sex with his sister is a bad idea and let the mom stay with her lesbian wife. The game is far from finished though, so it's not sure what is is yet to come.

Reactions: frap

FranceToast

Donor
Jul 31, 2018
I am not sure where this game went to (looks like it changed its name, changed its direction, then was put on hold?) but when I started playing "The Manifest" I was surprised to discover the Protagonist was in fact kind of a really terrible guy, and not what originally seemed like the hero of the story.

(And by really terrible guy I mean I'm assuming the developer wrote him this way specifically to break the trope. A lot of the Protagonists in games here are ostensibly the good guy, but are actually creeps, LOL )

Last edited:

frap

Oct 17, 2018
I am not sure where this game went to (looks like it changed its name, changed its direction, then was put on hold?) but when I started playing "The Manifest" I was surprised to discover the Protagonist was in fact kind of a really terrible guy, and not what originally seemed like the hero of the story.

(And by really terrible guy I mean I'm assuming the developer wrote him this way specifically to break the trope. A lot of the Protagonists in games here are ostensibly the good guy, but are actually creeps, LOL )
Sometimes playing the bad guy is fun, but the game should acknowledge that, and there should always be consequences.

frap

Oct 17, 2018
Where the Heart is.

I'll have to give that one another look. It was starting to look pretty standard, but if it's going to bust the trope by... say... busting the MC who fucks everybody... We're back to actions should have consequences.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
I'll have to give that one another look. It was starting to look pretty standard, but if it's going to bust the trope by... say... busting the MC who fucks everybody... We're back to actions should have consequences.
It's not quite there yet but certainly getting there.

There is a tense scene around the dinner table where a few slips happen and things nearly come out so it's looking hopeful that actions might indeed have consequences.

I enjoyed it for a while but once it got all haremy it started to get a bit bland. I love a good harem but nearly all of the girls talked about wanting something exclusive yet here he was fucking everything with no consequences. Then the last update came and things started to look up.

Reactions: Akamari and frap

frap

Oct 17, 2018

There is a tense scene around the dinner table where a few slips happen and things nearly come out so it's looking hopeful that actions might indeed have consequences.

I enjoyed it for a while but once it got all haremy it started to get a bit bland. I love a good harem but nearly all of the girls talked about wanting something exclusive yet here he was fucking everything with no consequences. Then the last update came and things started to look up.
For a "harem" game I would prefer a real harem - where all the girls know about the other, know each other, interact with each other, and you deal with their insecurities, jealousy, and how to fairly allot MC's time between them. From what I've seen Harem Hotel comes closest. if you don't mind the grind. Although that's getting off-topic as that one hasn't busted any tropes yet. ;)

frap

Oct 17, 2018
For trope breakers, Sisterly Lust kind of breaks the "no one has to worry about pregnancy" trope - but then drops you into a simple choice to turn it into the "everyone gets pregnant by the MC" trope. :cautious:

EDIT: Make that "everyone gets pregnant by the MC at the same time"

Sphere42

Sep 9, 2018
If games not available on this site count then Violated Heroine kinda fits: despite the name you can actually avoid getting violated in most cases (might take some save scumming, sure) and if you manage to grind the lewd stat somehow you can even initiate a fair number of scenes yourself. Unlike most "corruption" games you don't auto-accept any and all sex at high lewdness either, though you do still moan like a slut whenever something does happen. Plus the MC actually has a fertility cycle.

"Escape from uninhabited island" by Crotch defies a fair number of tropes, but falls into a few non-hentai ones instead. Knives are mid-late game tech and you actually grow body hair over time! And scat warning because it's a survival game and what goes in must come out. There's also a "dirty old man" who hangs around your camp but never rapes either of the girls as far as I can tell without knowing Japanese. And, very unusually for a hentai game at the very least, you can strip naked right away (no lewdness stat or "corruption") but endgame gear instead of being string underwear or tentacles is a kind of cosplay hoodie which narrowly fails to cover the crotch.

frap

Oct 17, 2018

I finally got back to this one - and yeah, the dinner table scene was pretty good. Hopefully the next update will implode everything around the MC.

frap

Oct 17, 2018
I had hoped there would be more games that subvert tropes we could discuss, but they seem to be few and far between.

Well, here's hoping for a dev or two to stumble on this thread and think "Wait, I could totally do that!"

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
Well, you have Becoming a Rock Star where MrJet introduced Julia, the MC's sister, and he announced there would be no hanky-panky whatsoever with her, at the dismay of several *very vocal* people.
On the same note, I introduce the MC's sister and I can assure she will stay pure of any brotherly lewdity :p

This is kinda trope-breaking nowadays ^^

Last edited:

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
I had hoped there would be more games that subvert tropes we could discuss, but they seem to be few and far between.

Well, here's hoping for a dev or two to stumble on this thread and think "Wait, I could totally do that!"
Shush! They'll all do it and then we won't have any tropes any more. Then what! Is that what you want? No tropes, because that's how you get no tropes!

;)

• Haha
Reactions: frap and Akamari

Oshitari Azumi

Who's the strongest Nobbu?!
Donor
May 23, 2017
I think that no matter what game I put here, there'll be at least a few tropes that are still rung extremely hard, but here goes:

The Last Sovereign- Great writing along with a really good story where you don't have to be some "Chosen One" (although you could say the MC is technically chosen if you really wanna get technical) in order to do something.

Harem Collector- This game does technically ring tropes, but I feel like it takes more of those tropes and spins them around rather than just plays with them. Otherwise, the tropes that exist are rung pretty hard, IMO.