VN - Ren'Py - Trouble at Home [Ep.3 v1.0] [CoolKittyRhymes]

1. 5.00 star(s)

rt251

LIs are pretty and not uncanny valley, MC is a lot of fun and not a complete doofus. The game is pretty funny though there is one gag I'm hoping doesn't persist throughout the whole game. Even though it's pretty new each chapter has plenty of content.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

Bro In The Game

What a fascinating story

I really like the LIs here

especially Stacy and Emily

One is so cute and the other is like a soul mate

I'm really looking forward to what comes next because I heard you're going to do 10 episodes?
  3. 4.00 star(s)

Quetzzz

"Trouble at Home" shows promise, but isn't sticking the landing just yet.

Edit: After replaying the Ep.3 - 1.0 version, I decided to up my score from 3 to 4, on 2024/04/18.

My biggest criticism, still, is that the passage of time is still very difficult to keep track of. Our MC will just appear in a location and stuff will be happening, and the player doesn't get any context beforehand. I think a splash screen or popup of the time and location would help here.

Compared to the previous version I played, a lot of dialog has been cleaned up, improving the general flow of the story. I also like how the latest update requires a choice of whom to pursue. Monica/Vicky/Tawny, and Ashley/Stacy/Emily. It's unclear if this has a lasting impact, but I generally like how this could trickle down to the LI the player wants to pursue the most, by having the player choose whom to spend time with.

The latest update also shows some great writing and storytelling. The story is slowly opening up, showing that the game's title isn't just applicable to the MC's home or family.

Original review:

There's no denying that the game looks good. The renders and scenes are good. There's also plenty of attention to visual details, and to what's going on in the background.

The dialog is (overall) easy to read and follow, and the inclusion of the textbox is always appreciated.

The story and pacing, I'm not enthusiastic about. I found it hard to keep track of the passage of time, and all the plans MC was making.

Let's take Stacy, as an example. I got the impression that more than a week passed since we gave her her first kiss. If the kiss happens, they both say that they like each other, yet there isn't any follow-up. No clinginess from her side, not even some messages back and forth. Then we see her again at the gym, and all she gets is a couple of minutes to set up another event.

Also, what's the deal with the GPU? Jay wrote an essay right before his GPU died, he then forgot about it. The teacher tells him to bring in his hard drive, so IT can send the essay to her. In episode 2, Jay says that his "computer has been dead for a few weeks", and that he hasn't been able to train for a card game online.
    What does the essay have to do with anything? Nothing. We never hear from it again, we don't see Jay bringing in his hard drive, or retrieving it.
    The whole GPU-thing doesn't add anything to the story. There's no sense of urgency, we don't understand Jay's passion for the card game, or why this GPU is so important. If the game was so important, Jay could've made time to meet the guys at the Game Store.
    What does happen, is that the story hits us over the head that we need money. So what do I do? I save as much money as possible to buy that GPU... But then Travis tells us to replace a component, and it's fixed anyway.

Jay wants to earn money, but fails to follow-up on opportunities, except for the gym. Rachel needs yard work done, but Jay fails to commit. And Rico's training falls away as well, instead Jay gets invited to dinner by his mother, no mention of tutoring Rico.

But, there are also some real gems in the story. Emily's first conversation with Jay is actually really, really good. And I think most Love Interests have had the opportunity to distinguish themselves, though some considerably more than others.

One thing I hope the writer clears up, is how choices are telegraphed. For instance, the shopping trip with Emily. Jay doesn't want to go shopping, and makes this known. Emily tells Jess that they'll do something if Jay doesn't want to go shopping. But then Emily convinces Jay to go, with no player input. If there isn't a choice for me to make, I don't want it to be dangled in front of me. I'd rather Jay show his apprehension, but getting convinced, not the will-he-won't-he stuff we're seeing often.
    Another issue with the choice telegraphy is how Jay thinks about his options. This is fine for actual choices, but adds nothing when the player isn't presented with a choice afterward. I understand that the writer wants to convey Jay's inner monologue and conflict, but in cases where the story forces an event to happen, it's better for the MC to be resolute.
  4. 5.00 star(s)

Iamthegoldengod

Banger certified, soon to be classic!

NTR note: It seems like a lot of people hate ntr stuff and will just not give something a try if they see that tag....STOP!! Don't do yourself disservice by ignoring this beauty. NTR is NOT the star of this show...its the turning point of the story and to set up the game so it makes sense why MC wants to improve and branch out. Without that one scene (which you DONT HAVE TO WATCH) there's no creative way to get MC to change and see things thru diff perspectives. It was needed and IT IS NOT THE STAR OF THE SHOW...so don't ignore the game.

(Review for ep3 v0.29 current read time 8-10hrs for me)

Pros:
    1. Writing is the fucking show stealer!!! Play on words, wonderful banter, and humor is off the fucking roof. Inner monologs are nicely done and sound realistic.
    2. MC's personality and growth arc is being done wonderfully. The cast of characters around MC like his best friend etc are super duper well done!!
    3. Renders are beautiful and girls are pretty! They have distinct personalities and have depth.
    4. Expression changes along with blinking, background activity, bringing back stuff from earlier in the game etc. Are small details that make this game shine so much.
    5. Music is decent along with sound effects
    6. H-scenes are tasteful and animated for the most part.
    7. There's actual life lessons here not kidding!! There's some really good advice on how to move on, how to stay motivated, how to spot good friends, how to treat people.....like guys this is the best form of positive reinforcements for people cuz not only do you get a good life lessons but you also get to squeeze some tits...like no brainer!!
    8. Build up with LIs is done wonderfully! It comes off naturally and matches the personality (like you won't bang introvert on a first date sort of thing).
    Cons: None! There's no time wasting here...every scene is set up for something down the line...and plot makes so much sense.

Verdict: Abso-fucking-lutely pick this up! I generally refrain from playing school setting games cuz of the brainless debauchery shown but this game is done differently......it takes time to set em up and rewards wonderfully. Again, writing is impeccable and piece of work! Don't avoid just cuz you read it has ntr. It's not the main theme.

(Insert Palpatine Voice) We will watch your career with great interest....

Masterpiece in the making!
  5. 5.00 star(s)

Squidgoggle

Hidden gem of a game - try it! There are many factors as to why this game impresses. The trauma of the main character is relatable - the journey recognizable. The story is well written and presented in a way that keeps the intrigue at a continually interesting point. The characters are both such that you can love or love to hate and there is depth and dimension to them. A Game well worth playing and paying for.
  6. 3.00 star(s)

Sesinho

The game could be excellent if:
    The back story was a little deeper, cause It doesn't really make sense that 2 people who don't care about each other have a fallout, which happens when there are feelings involved. So instead of going deeper into the story, the "siblings fight each other" trope is used.
    People gets rescued from a fire and it doesn't hit local news? Is this a world with internet?
    Mark tells the story and how can any story lose its core in such a small place?, did nobody get it right?
    I dont believe that someone of a certain size dares to bully a guy that is ripped, specially if he already got you once and at least you should fear the consequences, more even so knowing that that guy smashed someones head with a rock, someone bigger than him, he should pretty much be a legend.
    Mark is annoying, at some point I decided I couldn't take it anymore and decided to skip most of the scenes where he would show up, and in msot cases, I thing I didn´t miss anything important. This is something that happens in dramas also, when a support character is on screen you know tehre won't me any vital piece of information or plot change, cause he is 95% of the time a relief, which is ironic, cause he is the thing you need relief from..
    Sex scenes look good cause the animations are good, but the sex scenes are not that good and the shots and the cinematography is average, the level you get to see in most of the games.
    The beginning of the game is overall hard to endure cause there is nothing going on and barely any expectations of improving in the future and the Mc is the opposite of inspiring.
    All of the above is too much to rate this game higher but it some of these things were to be fixed or addressed, it could be one of the top, or at least one of the very rewarding games.
    There are good things also
    Animations are good, facial expressions are good, the visuals are eye candy and differente from the usual for the most part so it's refreshing, some characters are better than others, but at least they resemble human beings, and there are some interesting dialogues, sadly not all of them, but there are some behaviors that a human being can relate to, apart from trope bullies behavior.
    I have hope for the future, but hope is not review material, and with the 3 episodes published this is what I can give.
  7. 4.00 star(s)

Jaango

Don't let the NTR tag scare you game's not about NTR.

Loved the game. Good renders and plot going. It's similar to movies like American pie. There is humor I absolutely loved it.

From the start Mc is having trouble with his relationship. His gf is a bitch, she manipulates his life and she cheats him with three other guys at same time. Then breaks up with him. this is the reason for NTR tag. All other LIs are safe from NTR. There is also a chance for harem.

This one got a fair amount of content. Emily is such a great friend. Mark is a true bro, he's funny too. Mc getting his revenge against Chad is funny too

Keep up the good work dev. Looking forward to next updates. If you love a story game you should definitely try this.
  8. 3.00 star(s)

MixQQ

+ renders
    + mc ex is the worst human being :)
    + story is fun & interesting
    + Stacy best girl right now

- mc should be more assertive towards his cheating gf (I hope in the future we will get an option to make her slave or total sub)
    - sex scenes are very short and boring
    - relationship development no exist here
    - no music
    - Kayla and her bitchy attitude

not a bad game, but sex scenes are bit disappointing, they should be much longer. 3 stars for now,
  9. 3.00 star(s)

The_Patriarch43

I would have given this one a 4, rather than this rating but I made multiple mistakes in the past to give devs the benefit of the doubt so I stay with my gut feeling right now.

This is my bias review which enjoys incest + harem, If you don't and you are more into one-LI end then you should check it out. If you are, then there are some things which may be confusing first.

First of the bet -> Is harem possible ? According to the planned tag it is. And if you play the game you will see the groundwork for it already started. So that's good.

Incest ? -> Not sure. It's kinda building up around it, but it's not in the planned tags. So my suggestion is to wait for like ch.5 to arrive and see IF it progressed to this point.

What's with the NTR ? -> Well this one is quite tricky. For the current moment (And I hope it stays only this one time) is about a girl called “Sierra”. To make it short, she is your typical E-thot slut who fucks other dudes. The tags in this game “Netorare” AND “gangbang” are because of her since there are no other scenes like this present. Not so good.

The MC has the chance to flip her off when you have the chance to date/romance/flirt with her much later on. So it's up to you what will happen.

With that said, what about the rest of this game ?
    Well, the term (as in the Developer Note being mentioned) “slice of life” suits it right, and this will be either a insta win for some, or a insta delete for others. As for me, I enjoy “slow burn” stories and as for Ch.3 it's decent. I don't mind having a loser MC as long as we see him getting better and stronger quite quickly in the story. And to some point it's here but not quite there. However some people will say this is a blue balls game where there are only a handful sex scenes, and they would be right. However in the grand scheme of things serviceable.

The models look good, the renders are very good and the animations are super. While the main focus IS the MC, you have the option to see the POV of the girls. Mostly there are for “slice of life” with no sexual content, and that one scene like I mentioned above is that one with NTR.

So i'm on the fence with this one but I would be lying if I didn't enjoyed my last 2 ½ hours with this game.
  10. 4.00 star(s)

tc2118

Writing: top notch - like others have said it's worth reading instead of just skipping through
    Renders: original, with some very attractive girls though also some less attractive, kind of strange-looking ones. But most are hot and make you want to see them fuck.
    Sex Scenes: A little short, but good cum shot endings. I'd like to see them lengthened a bit with another position each.

Overall content: The game moves a little slowly which is not a problem because the story is fun and interesting, but by the time I get to a sex scene, I want a little more then I get. Also, by the end of chapter 3 the MC in my playthrough had already had sex with 4 different women, but only once each. I understand and like the buildup of some of the relationships, (I don't want the MC to be able to fuck everybody right away) but for those that the MC has already fucked, I think additional scenes with those girls would be a great addition so that there can be more sex in the game. Basically, that's the main reason I'm giving 4 stars instead of 5 - I think the ratio of sex scenes to story-development scenes can be increased a little to make the game more arousing.

But it's really a great game.
  11. 5.00 star(s)

Bruce F. Lee

It's a very good VN. The plot is a slice-of-life character study. The MC starts in a rough spot and the player gets to help him grow.

The amazing part is that the MC actually has two living parents that aren't separated. He has multiple male friends, one of whom is dating. This should be mundane, but in erotic-VN-world, it feels as innovative as the invention of the printing press.

Finally, regarding the NTR tag, I don't think it's applicable here. It's used to set-up the story, and thus far, it appears the woman involved will never be a possible love interest.
    You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
  12. 5.00 star(s)

Hawkeye3d

This game gets 5 stars from me. Starts out strong, with a fresh twist to introduce all the players and bring sense to what binds each story to the MC. As for adult scenes, nothing right off the start. Looking forward to discovering the way MC is able to spin off a few multiple events without breaking down his hero/great guy build. Brings to mind, how the story so far has both made the MC have a terrible cycle and yet still retains his smooth image. Looking forward to more chapters. Good luck Dev.
  13. 3.00 star(s)

thebowkid

I've played through this game up to chapter 3, and I've got to say, it's been a decent experience so far. There's not much to criticize, but there's one aspect that leaves me with some questions.

First, the story – or the lack of a clear direction. While the gameplay is enjoyable, I'm still uncertain about where this storyline is headed. It's a bit like going on a road trip without a map, making each twist and turn feel uncertain.

Second, when it comes to the characters, it's a bit like attending a party to meet new people, but you don't know who's worth the effort. It's as if you're mingling in a crowd, trying to figure out who might become a lifelong friend and who's just passing through. I wish it was clearer as to who are potential partners and who are side characters.

In summary, the game has its enjoyable moments but could use some more narrative clarity and character development. I'm taking a break for now and will check it again if I catch one of the updates. There hasn't been anything to turn me into a hardcore supporter, but I'll be here to see how it all unfolds. Best of luck to the dev on this journey, and who knows, I might return when it's more fully realized.
  14. 5.00 star(s)

Firaxius

I had this game in eye for awhile played the first releases and saw this game sure had potential, now I played full episode 1 and 2 and my mind didn't change, even better, I like the game even more.

Stacy is my most loved girl, but god Ashley can be crazy mind driving too. Though I'm wondering if Jess going make a move on him as well or his sister, so far I turned most girls down, coze I want to see where it goes with Stacy and him.

Anyway keep up the good work and looking for more updates and sure hope this will be a game that get finished, tired of coming across good games that get abandond half way.
  15. 5.00 star(s)

fried

Happened to play this game for practical reasons, but stayed for the enjoyment of varied characters orbiting an MC who is suddenly sent by coincidence and malicious intent through challenges that only deepen as his senior year - before hoping to enter college - drives towards a rapid close.

It's essentially a game about an older teen navigating unexpected setbacks at a time in life when he thought everything was on track, with an ensemble cast, various forms of comedy, tension, drama and sex.

As a player, you can empathize with the MC's early confusion while also recognizing potential clues for how he might gain lifelines in the form of reliable friendships, advice from elders, self-discovery and learning to grab hold of opportunities that he previously took for granted.

A mix of social interactions and practical "adulting" moments in the MC's journey - learning to listen and make new choices (many of which you can control) - through downs and ups presented, make this game most enjoyable. The fresh graphics provide a rock-solid base for the player's experience and the different voices of each character - without any of them being fully compromised for fan service - keeps this game just plain fun to experience as you attempt to help the MC move forward.

Add in intrigue of a newly close, but somewhat mysterious, friend, looming enemies whose threats continue to rise at unexpected moments, dynamics of a modern, dysfunctional family and less than perfect personalities across the characters, and you get a fun take on an adult slice-of-life (with sitcom elements) game. Some purposefully whacky characters and actions balance moments of introspection and non-linear relationship dynamics, while even small stylistic cues such as clever double-takes can keep players entertained in ways beyond the story and sex elements, alone.

Yes, there is a "netorare" tag, which turned out to represent a catalyst in this game for entirely other things. It was used deftly, however blunt the action in the story might have seemed at the time, because it effectively setup the MC on a true journey of discovery.

TLDR: This game is not offering the deepest story. But it DOES provide a smartly woven series of subplots that revolve around and through the initially beleaguered MC, with options that you can sometimes control and which may have impacts far beyond when they were taken. It has crisp graphics and good erotic content which generally fits well with the story, plus characterizations that can cater to various interests.
  16. 5.00 star(s)

Dexireo

As compared to the previous episode this episode is lot better you can finally see the development in The MC's character , he's becoming much bolder now as compared to before. Now regarding about having NTR in this game, it's my opinion and you can disagree with that, I wouldn't say that it's NTR because MC and his girlfriend ( now ex girlfriend) are not together anymore and from what I have seen so far in the game the ex girlfriend is portrait more of an antagonist (villain) rather than a love interest and i dont think MC would want get her back in the future because of his development I'm seeing so far. Now the issue regarding extra scenes from other characters perspective except from MC's ex girlfriend not even a single one have NTR scene rather than that they are all interested in MC or atleast the scenes are revolving around him. In short just play the full game yourself and you can judge yourself but i can say one thing this game has one of the best MC character development I have seen so far and it's worth to try it.
  17. 5.00 star(s)

Old Man Al

Ep. 2 v. 0,26:

This is pretty good stuff.

Renders are very nice, much variety in girls - not only optical.

The music is good. Nothing overly original, but at least not the stuff that is everywhere else and it fits the scenes.

I like the story and the characters in this VN too. Yeah I know the high school setting is a bit worn out. But this is easily one of the top 10 in that genre on this site.
    Also it is just chapter 2 and already so much going on and so much content. A really unusual amount imo.

I especially like how you can chose not to be an asshole, but be "the better man".

I hope we can make up with the bitchy sister later, seems to got that way at the end. It's family after all, twins even and I still don't know yet why exactly they had their relationship broken.

Other than that this ex is just plain evil and toxic. So yeah, I get why some would throw NTR in the ring, but really? The time we found out what she did the night before ditching the MC... did anyone still care about her? I sure as hell did not.
    You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So to make it short, even if NTR normaly makes me feel not good it didn't really touch me here.

I love Emily, she's like the shittalking female friend I have for over 30 years now.
    And I guess there are some girls for other tastes too. The shy one, the sisters best friend, Ashley, several girls from the track and field team (not sure, I didn't go after any of them) and so on.

Give this one a try. And yeah it starts of a bit slow, but stay with it at least until end of chapter 1. You are in for a threat. Easily 5/5.
  18. 4.00 star(s)

Alfred the Fallen

[v0.26]

I think the game is really well done so far. The artwork is great, the characters all have a lot of personality to them, and I enjoy the running gab of the main character having to occasionally ask women to repeat things because he misheard them. The game has enough choices in girls to give variety, without having so many that you get the sense it would bog down development in the future.

There is one unavoidable sex scene which is something I generally dislike, and it didn't really fit the choices I had been making for my character. However, it is not going to be a deal-breaker so long as it's the only time we have one. The sex scenes aren't fully animated, they just do that thing where they transition back and forth between two images.
  19. 5.00 star(s)

Ruff Ryder

Great start into the game.
    I like seeing the MC having many troubles that we have to work through. If you ask me the scenario of his ex Sierra where she fucks 3 dudes was a bit unnecessary (although it wouldn't be NTR/cukcolding since she's off the table at least in my opinnion with her actions and attitude).

The bitchy sister is a bit too much so it would be good to show the player as soon as possible as to why she acts this way. You can still create a story line between the two with the MC having no clue as to what she's on about but the longer I have to wait the more she seems like just a bitch.

Love the models, don't like the fact we're in an actual HS rather than college. Good variety of male support models but also many to antagonize against.
  20. 4.00 star(s)

botc76

A game that definitely doesn't deserve the bad ratings. A lot of it is down to people's personal preferences and fantasy definitions of existing terminology.

We have a story here, where the MC is supposed to be driven to the edge a bit, where he gets screwed with until he feels like shit and then get up again. That includes his girlfriend cheating on him, while he does a heroic deed.
    (That does not make him a cuck, by definition).
    The MC considers the consequences of his actions and tries to act accordingly, this story is about him finding a way to come back from the blows he has to take.

Then we have the best buddy, who is an annoying but well-meaning idiot.
    People hate him and I can understand that, but again, it is clear that he is supposed to be like this, not because he wants to fuck with the MC, but because wants to be a good friend, but is bad at thinking about consequences of his actions and isn't the smarted tool in the shed.

The game can be funny, the MC IS a bit of a simp, but I would call him a lovable simp, the look of the women range from nice to great, though like most of the time with DAZ games, we have seen them before mostly.
    I don't like what happens to the MC at the start, but I look forward to the "villains" getting their comeuppance, once the story develops further.
    The story is well written, with a few lengths, I wasn't thrown out of it, by countless typos and grammar errors, which is something that happens quite often.

Last but not least, the dev does warn you about the content that people have problems with, if you don't want to see that, even for story purposed, don't play it.
    Not every game has to be done exactly the way you want it, that does not make it a bad game.