Ren'Py Trouble Building Distributions [resolved]

Tribe

Game Developer
May 5, 2021
Seems like something you should be able to google but it's not... Which may make this a stupid question.

When building distributions for my game I select windows/linux and mac. For the second time in a row I've had complaints that the mac version isn't playable.
Can anyone tell me if I need a mac to build a mac distribution? Or what do I need to do?

The second issue is that it removes empty folders when I build distributions. That's cool, but I need those empty folders for players to drop their files into.
The game must loop through these folders to look for any images/animations that the player has added, and the game will crash if a potentially empty folder is missing.
I could put 30+ insignificant files in these folders to keep them from being empty, but I'd prefer a neat solution.

Thank you for your time!

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
You need to build for Mac separately, from what I remember, the option for those 3 together was related to itch.io or another market thingie...

• Star-struck
Reactions: Tribe

GetOutOfMyLab

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
For empty folders, you can change this to False:

For Mac build, I've not had any issues with them (I only have PC).

EDIT:

And this is how I build for PC and Mac:
1694114508384.png

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
For empty folders, you can change this to False:

For Mac build, I've not had any issues with them (I only have PC).

EDIT:

And this is how I build for PC and Mac:
View attachment 2911920
Yeah, that's how I used to do it as well.
There was a time when I used the last option as having all 3 in a single one looked handy, but then people told me that was wrong, and switched to those settings.

GetOutOfMyLab

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
Yeah, that's how I used to do it as well.
There was a time when I used the last option as having all 3 in a single one looked handy, but then people told me that was wrong, and switched to those settings.
Ah, I've never even tried the last option because I don't do anything for markets currently.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
For the second time in a row I've had complaints that the mac version isn't playable.
Regarding this, must be noted that with its version 11, MacOS X past the historical Intel CPU architecture to the ARM one. And officially Ren'Py still do not support the latest. It's possible that it works (it have ARM support for Linux, Android and iOS), but if it's the case, it have never been included in the changelog.

• Love