Trouble opening certain downloads on Mac

bing6541

Jul 24, 2018
Occasionally, the only download options for some RenPy games are the combo Win/Linux/Mac downloads. See here for an example: https://f95zone.to/threads/steps-of-debauchery-ep-3-fix-fooxied.171903

Here's another: https://f95zone.to/threads/horny-holiday-demo-big-chungus-productions.213942

These never open on Mac. I've looked in this forum and in the pinned section of Tools and Tutorials and can't find a thread addressing this. I can't be the only one experiencing this. Can someone point me to the correct thread or otherwise let me know how to open these games on Mac?

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
These never open on Mac.
Hmm ? Ren'Py offer that possibility to have a unique distribution since now more than 15 years. I'm pretty sure that if really it wasn't possible to play those games on Mac, it would be known and fixed since a really long time.

Can someone point me to the correct thread or otherwise let me know how to open these games on Mac?
Exactly like any other Mac software I guess, and exactly like you do for Ren'Py games that have a dedicated Mac distribution.

bing6541

Jul 24, 2018
Hmm ? Ren'Py offer that possibility to have a unique distribution since now more than 15 years. I'm pretty sure that if really it wasn't possible to play those games on Mac, it would be known and fixed since a really long time.

Exactly like any other Mac software I guess, and exactly like you do for Ren'Py games that have a dedicated Mac distribution.
The app file that is in the download doesn't content all the contents. I'm not the only one with this problem. If you look at the first example I provided, there are others who ask how to open on a Mac. Those other comments are in the last several pages of the thread.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
The app file that is in the download doesn't content all the contents.
I don't know how Mac works, but when I look at Ren'Py SDK, the .app directory only have the libraries, and this since more than 10 years ; in fact in older versions the libraries aren't even in it. So I guess that whatever file that serve as launcher is defined so the game will use the shared "renpy" and "game" directory.

Now, there's a possible second issue here. Mac is just a trademark, among the time it used three different architectures and CPU types. So if you have a Mac based on the Apple M1, it's possible that those games use a too old version of Ren'Py, that just don't support it.

tanders70

Oct 2, 2021
I have no idea why some games are distributed like this but here's what you have to do to make them work:

Unzip the download and you will find a folder containing the PC exe and the Mac app together with the "game" & "renpy" folder.
Right click the Mac app -> show package contents
This will lead to the "Contents" folder with "MacOS" & "Resources" folder inside and as well the Info.plist
Open the "Resources" folder. Inside is the "lib" folder (again...it was also in the top folder of the download) and the icon.icns file.
Here you need to create an "autorun" folder manually and put the "game" & "renpy" from the download inside aside with the gamename.py and gamename.sh files which you all find in the unpacked download folder.
Now you take the Mac app wherever you want it and run it. Should work after you allowed it in the security settings because it's from an unknown developer.

This is what you need to have at the end:
Mac.app -> Contents -> MacOS / Resources / Info.plist -(resources)> autorun / lib / icon.icns -autorun> game / renpy / gamename.py / gamename.sh

Last edited:
Reactions: Sporky