Trouble Showing Images in Ren'Py Script? (Issue with update?)

Nothing Clever

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2021
Hey y'all, sorry if this question has been answered in another post, still kinda figuring out where to correctly post threads and help questions. Anyways, I'm having a rather bizarre error with ren'py. All I did was write 'show introa1' into my script.

That's all I did.

The picture won't show up at all when playing the game; when I get to the place where it's supposed to show up, the game seems to just skip the image. And since this is literally the first image I'm placing into the script, the game then ends and takes me back to the main menu. By the way, the image I put in the GUI for the main menu totally works, despite also being a .PNG image. I tried experimenting a bit, and wrote some basic dialogue after where the picture was supposed to show up, and I got a weird background image of a faded Eileen with the name of the image on her shirt-very weird. Another thing I've tried is putting the line as 'show introa1.png' , and that only caused a parsing 'end of line' error, or something like that.

I will say that I did do a quick update of ren'py before starting the project, but I did this after I put in the main menu pic. So maybe the latest ren'py update is to blame?

I'm really confused.

Please help. :'(

EDIT:

So, after messing around with it a bit more, I included a very short pause after the show image. That did cause the image to appear, but then it tookme right back to the main menu. So it's like the game is automatically 'skipping' the pictures? Because mind you, I'm not clicking anything to go to the next slide, it's doing this by itself.

EDIT 2: EDIT BUGALOO:

So, I think I fixed the problem... because I didn't add any dialogue? Or at least, ren'py is holding onto the scene because I haven't pressed any buttons to skip it, so idfk. I guess I'll keep this post up though for posterity's sake; always include your image with an effect or a transition? Fuck, idk.

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
[...] still kinda figuring out where to correctly post threads and help questions.
Like by example a whole section of the forum dedicated to codding, rendering and more globally all issue/question related to the development of a game ?

[...] and I got a weird background image of a faded Eileen with the name of the image on her shirt-very weird. [...]
What mean that the image do not exist. The syntax you used (show imageName) is correct, but the name of the image point to nothing. Either you didn't put the image in the right place ("[path to project]/game/images/"), or you made a typo when writing the name.

[...] I included a very short pause after the show image. That did cause the image to appear, but then it tookme right back to the main menu.
What is totally normal. show just, well... show, the image, dot. It's what come after it that will, potentially, pause the game. Therefore, with just your show, Ren'py displayed the image, then what came after was an implicit "this is the end, return to the main menu please" ; what Ren'py did.