2D Trying out some Art, could use some feedback and thoughts.

bytor

Jul 17, 2018
Hey, I've got an idea for a game that's been in the back of my mind and while I slowly grinding my way through learning development I thought I could use some feedback on my artwork. I should start out by saying I'm new to drawing, but I found a technique to make some passable artwork in Photoshop. If anybody played the game Teraurge, that's kind of the style I'm going for. Any feedback would be helpful.

Akel1F95.jpg Akel2-95Zone.jpg Akel3-95zone.jpg Raal-95zone.jpg Laketest1.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 609064

May 11, 2018
I like it. I imagine many will not. It has character. Hopefully, you can combine it with solid writing, and that should make for something entertaining and beautiful to engage with.

Reactions: bytor

bytor

Jul 17, 2018
I thought I'd post the test picture I made to show the improvements I made along the way, feel free to give some feedback on the newer one, or laugh at the old one lol.
VillageShop.jpg Village_1.jpg

ParkG

Game Developer
May 12, 2021
This looks... dark! In a good way! Very unique artstyle. I'm not sure about NSFW, but if this was to be put in a game, I'd imagine it's something like Dragon Age Origins.

bytor

Jul 17, 2018
The messiness looks interesting. Kind of makes me think of the "Obra Dinn"
Ya, the messiness come from the fact that I'm not an artist lol. But in all seriousness, I did try and use my inexperience to my advantage by stylizing it in this way. Return of the Obra Dinn is awesome, love that game.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
It is an interesting take on it, I don't know how well it will do over the long term but if it gets you to a decent place artistically then I see no fault in it.

This is just normally what I say to people who want to learn to draw.
_________

Recommendations for materials of people who want to draw 2d better.

Andrew Loomis: His books are considered pretty cornerstone for an artist's education primarily "Fun with a pencil" for a beginner "Successful Drawing" and "Figure Drawing for All it's Worth" for intermediate, and "Creative Illustration" for Advanced. Other books can be woven in, but make sure the ones you take on are in your correct knowledge bracket.

Burne Hogarth: He was a master of Dynamic poses and his books on them really help to illustrate movement and action.

Bert Dodson: Keys to Drawing

If you want to spend some money. This is an online lecture program that has a huge amount of information.

Has a lot of book suggestions for drawing of all types.

Of course youtube has tons and tons of courses and videos from both professionals and amateurs on learning to draw, finding art style, etc.