Trying to learn renpy

basium

Game Developer
Feb 22, 2017
Hey!
I've given up on trying to find a good game engine for me. So im trying to learn renpy.
There's a ton of guides for it. But most are really old. And they dont teach me the basic stuff i want to know. Or in a way i can understand.

Before i dive in too deep. I want to know how to organise and sort stuff.
You aren't supposed to write the whole game into the script pry file right?
That would become so messy and long.

I've tried to google but cant find anything thats "fresh".
Wouldn't it be better to just create scenes? For example a "Intro" scene. A "meet jessica first time" scene and so on?

A big game like good girl gone bad. How the hell would they even find the right code when they want to re edit a scene?

Chatterbox

Game Developer
May 28, 2018
Ren'py has changed fairly recently to make it easier. Less code is involved and its a little more user friendly. The best thing you could do is watch the tutorials to get the basics, and for more advanced stuff, just de-compile as many Ren'py games as you can and learn by reading the script, option, and screen files.

BawdyBaron

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2018
Ren'Py basically reads all of the .rpy files in the "game" folder. You can organize your game any way you want really. For example, you could have all of the "Jessica" scenes in jessica.rpy, all of the "Sarah" scenes in sarah.rpy. Or you could have all of the morning scenes in xyz.rpy, and all of the evening scenes in abc.rpy.

And within each .rpy you break it up into smaller chunks by jumping to and from labels. And Ren'py automatically jumps between the files.

So when you are introduced to Jessica in the main script.rpy you jump to the "jessicaIntro" label in the jessica.rpy file, then she says goodbye and you jump to the next section of the script.

Some games have just a few .rpy files, some have lots.

Reactions: uradamus

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
Something I totally missed during the couple of times I was testing out Ren'Py that is super helpful is this:

It would totally be worth your time to go through that and experiment with the tools until you get some confidence with using them, I suspect it will save you a ton of time in the long run.