Ren'Py Trying to make a trainer style game

randomgut

Apr 18, 2018
I've been trying to make a Trainer style game based on MHA and I've been able to figure out some of the basic things.
However, whenever I define a character, as well as an image, it refuses to display the image alongside the text.
Like the text will appear, with a defined character name and all that jazz. But it won't display the image I defined it with.
I can make the images appear with the "show" function, but it seems to refuse to work within the define function.
What's frustrating is that I followed the example on the Ren'Py website, but it still doesn't work.
I've put the files in the images folder, and I've labeled my images all lowercase, for simplicity's sake.
I just can't seem to make images appear within the "define character" function.
If anyone could help, it'd be greatly appreciated.
(sidenote: I left a line in the script that says "scene UAHighSchool"; I know I don't have a file labelled "UAHighSchool" in my images folder.)

Wumei

Dec 25, 2019
For a side image you have to tag that image like that :

Python:
image side eileen = "side_eileen.png"
Use the name you gave on line one to define the image :

define yn = Character("You", image="test", what_color = "#000000", what_prefix='"', what_suffix='"')

So here its "test" and not "You" or "yn"

and you have to add the tag "side" to tell renpy to use that image for that purpose.

so for your code you have to add the side image like that :

Python:
image side test = "test.png"

randomgut

Apr 18, 2018
Thank you so much! I tried that and it instantly worked like a charm! It was driving me insane, haha.