Ren'Py Trying to open a screen, show a dialogue and close it, but keeping the screen...

aceofspade

Game Developer
Oct 3, 2018
Is there some way to open a screen, show a dialogue using a button inside this screen and then close the dialogue? Without closing the screen...
I use a return at the end of the dialogue's label, but the dialogue always remains open. I want to finish it.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Make the dialogue a button and hide it on click.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Or make 2 screens, one of which is the main screen and one for the dialogue box.

Have the 1st screen use to automatically show the 2nd screen as soon as it appears. Then, as recreation says - have one of the actions within the 2nd screen be . Though feels like it might be better choice in my specific example of here.

IF it works how I think it does, this would also allow you to force the player to deal with the dialogue box first before being able to use any actions on the 1st screen by specifying as part of the 2nd (dialogue) screen definition.

It'd need testing though. I'm not a screens expert, this answer is purely theoretical on my part.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Wait, thinking about it, wouldn't it be the easiest solution to just "show" the first screen, then just use the normal dialogue? This way you don't even need to hide anything, just wait for player input :unsure:

aceofspade

Game Developer
Oct 3, 2018
Sorry for the long delay, I hope I'm not reliving a topic, but just giving feedback... Actually I needed a review on the flow, when I gave the return, the flow continued from the call of the screen, all I needed to do was to give a jump to the label from where I called this screen. Like label > call screen > jump label. I could open the screen again after that, but I preferred to leave it this way cleaner, it gives me a satisfactory result. And thank you guys, anyway.