Ren'Py Twine to Ren'Py conversion and other game making questions

Cigam

Nov 6, 2018
Not sure if this is the correct spot to post this but mostly I have some questions for making a game, and could not find the answers from searching.

I am going to make a Ren'Py game, and for doing that I wanted to map out the story arc and how all the choices interconnect. To do that I was going to use Twine. However I was wondering is there a way to convert the Twine html into a Ren'Py script? I found an older converter from like 2014, but figured that would not work with current version of either software. So was wondering if any of yall knew about a converter, before I spent a lot of time working to write my script in either program? If not is there something I should use instead? I mostly enjoy Twine because I am a visual person and like to see the big picture on how everything is related and what branches lead where.

Next I was wondering what is more sought after in terms of the graphics for the game? I see a variety of DAZ, HoneySelect, 2D, and others. From what I have seen the 2D artwork is accepted better by the community in general, but wondered which is better to use? 2D takes longer to make but if it is liked more by everyone then I will probably go that route. I have been debating this due to my own hardware limitations and ease of creation. Personally DAZ renders very slow on all of my machines. So I was wonder if something like Honey Select was better? Also Honey Select would be a faster creation time I think based on what I have seen, but again if 2D is better accepted then I could do that.

If I were to use something like Honey Select, is it ok to use that for commercial purposes? I have seen noted in various places that the company does not like people making content with their assets. But since so many people have made games with it, I just wondered what the legal ramifications might be if I were to try doing it? From what I understand it is that I have to note my game as "free" and just ask for donations, if I were to ever put this up on something like patreon. I just dont want to get into any problems after I have spent the time in making the game.

Lastly I was wondering what are some of the more sought after genres or tags for the game? I have a lot of my overall story figured out, but just wondered what elements I should fit in while writing the script of it. I am not going to be doing any Futa, incest or M/F transformations, I just personally dont care for those. That being said, I know there are people who are interested in that, and I could potentially fit those in, if need be. However, beyond those for the moment, I wondered what are the other more desirable traits that most of the community prefers in the games? I did not know if there were any statistics available to show that.

Question in summary:
1. Can I convert Twine to Ren'Py, if not then what should I do instead to still visually make the story?
2. What is the best graphics type to use/desired most by the community? DAZ, HonesySelect, 2D, others?
3. If I were to use HoneySelect what legal issues might I run into with using their assets in my game?
4. What genres/tags are most sought after by the community/are statistics available for that?

Thanks, hopefully I can get to making my game sometime this summer to post on here and get feedback on.

Reactions: Marzepain

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
2. What is the best graphics type to use/desired most by the community? DAZ, HonesySelect, 2D, others?
What you are good at. Honestly the CG matter less than the story.

3. If I were to use HoneySelect what legal issues might I run into with using their assets in my game?
None, Illusion don't really care.

4. What genres/tags are most sought after by the community/are statistics available for that?
Once again it doesn't matter. Do the story you want, not the game we expect. Partly because we don't know what we want, partly because we are all too different. Anyway you'll not make money by just trying to do some that would please everyone, you'll just fail.

Edit: Once again betrayed by my keyboard, validated before having wrote everything :(

Reactions: Cigam

Cigam

Nov 6, 2018
Once again it doesn't matter. Do the story you want, not the game we expect. Partly because we don't know what we want, partly because we are all too different. Anyway you'll not make money by just trying to do some that would please everyone, you'll just fail.
Good advice thanks, I will just focus on doing my story then. I am not sure if I will be able to do it in the way I envision it, but we will see. I may not make it in twine to do the big picture, instead I might just try some other novel makers to get the interconnection working. Still not sure on that yet, but will test various ones and see how it goes. For now I will probably try installing HS and see if I can make at least some basic characters for the story too.