VN Type of game

Pitey

Oct 7, 2017
Hey ! I'm starting to write a game but i'm a newbie and I don't know if it will launch one day but I was curious, I like to write some drama to really bound the player to the game, and that's why I'm posting here, I was curious about how you guys feels about it ? Would you be interested in that kind of games ? (It would still be an adult visual novel) Would you play that kind of games ? Do you think of something to avoid ? I'm really curious about how people can see it ! Thanks for reading and sharing ! Have a nice day ! :)

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
You'll have to be a bit more specific than "some drama" if you want useful answers.

Some players have engine preferences, some feel strongly about linear versus sandbox titles, some love or hate certain art styles, some are very particular about certain fetishes... well, you get the idea.

Also, and I'm really not trying to be a dick here, if the main selling point of your game is supposed to be the writing then you may want to look for a co-writer or at least a proofreader.

Reactions: Diconica

Pitey

Oct 7, 2017
I want to write a pretty much tragic story, you start with a broken guy with hope and you step by step know how he ended up in that state, then you will understand more his reaction, how hard can it be and i want to add a lot of realism in it. School background as usual but talking about the stress, anxiety, depression, sex obviously and drugs/alcohol. I want a real story not something happy that just put you in sexual position everytime you meet a female character. Sorry if I wasn't clear ! :) Hope you understand better now :D

If for the Co-writer/proofreader you are mentioning the fact that I make mistake in my writing yep I'll, I'm making quite a lot I can't publish something that make your eyes bleed x)

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I want to write a pretty much tragic story, you start with a broken guy with hope and you step by step know how he ended up in that state, then you will understand more his reaction, how hard can it be and i want to add a lot of realism in it. School background as usual but talking about the stress, anxiety, depression, sex obviously and drugs/alcohol. I want a real story not something happy that just put you in sexual position everytime you meet a female character. Sorry if I wasn't clear ! :) Hope you understand better now :D

If for the Co-writer/proofreader you are mentioning the fact that I make mistake in my writing yep I'll, I'm making quite a lot I can't publish something that make your eyes bleed x)
Check out ; do your writing there, then paste it back into Renpy once you're happy.

Diconica

Apr 25, 2020
First, thing you have to realize is you can not appease everyone with a story or a game. It doesn't matter how hard you try.
So write the story you want to tell. Don't add crap in hoping it will get someone else to like it. Doing that crap will just get someone else to not like it.

Pick whatever game engine works best for you and developing the game. Again you can't appeal to everyone.

Spend some time learning about writing. Character development, how to avoid conflicts between it and the story.
Learn what he different plot holes and and inconsistencies.
Create a time line and story board whatever you need to do so you can visually track and see when issues happen.
Determine how you are going to measure story progression.
That could be character traits or simply goals and accomplishments or maybe you are telling just the story and there is no game play in it that is perfectly find regardless what anyone says.

An example of a character trait being used to measure progression would be like using depravity to determine what sex job they are willing to do next.
An example of a goal based method would be the girl partakes in a Swim suit competition at the beach so decides it might be ok to do swim suit modeling.

Grammarly will help. I bought my son some 8th grade paragraph and grammar books were you go through and make corrections to and then compare to the answers. The reason I chose 8th grade is most people in the US read at 8th grade and below. In fact US military manuals are put out at an 8th grade reading level. The High school test while they are supposed to be high school really don't rate over 8th grade in most cases. The point being is if you can write at that level you are pretty much golden when it comes to writing for the general public.

Pitey

Oct 7, 2017
Wow, thanks a lot I wasn't expecting that at all, you are totally right I can't aggree more. I'll try to improve my grammar first then use grammarly to make sure I write a readable story !

Can't thank you enough ! :)

imnotanya

Aug 22, 2019
If you want some ideas on how to create some drama that feels more organic, remember that it comes from a few things, two of which are: Irreconcilable differences and misunderstandings. Build off that, reveal the feelings of characters, keep the pacing good and I think you can make a fine story.

Also: If you're this vague and hard to read on posts, I worry about your actual writing. This is not to call you out or anything but you can be more mindful of how you phrase things and be more clear. Everything can be an opportunity to improve your writing, even when making posts. Good luck!

Pitey

Oct 7, 2017
I think I'm really bad at explaining my ideas and getting to my point, but that's mainly because (I think) I want to do a short sentence to explain it, when I'm writing I'm taking my time so I don't think I got that problem, I'll probably make people read it before actually going too deep to see if I'm on the wrong path or not !

Anyway I thank you all for your help and advice and I won't take anything bad don't worry :)