[R>Programmer] Paid UE4 - Looking for someone to assist in custom compile script for PhysX5

klewka

Feb 25, 2022
Hello, I'm currently working on some VR projects, but there is something I've been wanting to do that would be very beneficial to every VR project. I'd like to implement PhysX 5 into Unreal Engine 5.

UE4 currently uses PhysX 3, but this has been removed in UE5 in favor of Epic's new physics system, Chaos, which is less performant, less accurate, and has less functionality.

I am seeking a C++ programmer with moderate experience to help create the build process for PhysX 5. Unreal Engine experience is not required, however if you have not worked with the engine before you will have to perform the initial setup which can be lengthy.

Essentially, this is what needs to be done:
  • You have a compiling version of UE4.27+
  • Create a third-party module containing the PhysX source code (I can assist with this portion)
  • Create a custom automation script to build the PhysX source code
    • Project generation can be hardcoded but preferably should generate PhysX projects on demand
    • PhysX 5 normal build scripts run, or a hard-coded build script runs successfully
  • Module builds successfully and can be linked
This is something that would benefit many people especially in the realm of VR, where physics play a monumental role to both immersion and gameplay. If you have experience in making C++ compile processes and are familiar with the applications used, I would estimate this at 2 days of serious work. As far as the Unreal Engine-specific implementation goes, I have already looked into it and can provide direction.

I do not have a lot of cash at the moment, so I would be willing to pay up to $250 which I believe is an acceptable price for the work. If the money is important to you, I am open to discussion.

I'll be checking the thread occasionally for any questions, however the best way to reach me is through Discord:
The Real Slark Shady#0253

klewka

Feb 25, 2022
Still open?
Which build system?
PhysX5 itself is fairly simple, using CMAKE to generate projects, Packrat to download dependencies, and CLANG for compilation. There is a small modification required to allow compilation with VS2022 but otherwise I don't foresee any issues. Continuing to use Packrat or including these dependencies manually is fine with me.

Unreal has a lot of custom build automation, however for the most part the job here is to update the current "Automation Scripts" to build PhysX5. Part of the Unreal Build Tool is that every code module is configured with a C# class, I've already performed this step and essentially integrated the new PhysX5 DLLs/LIBs into the engine, however Unreal complains since it hasn't been built through their pipeline.

Last edited: