Ultimate Guide to GET NOT striked by Patreon

Kravenar Games

Game Developer
Mar 28, 2017
First of all, many of you noticed that Patreon is striking one by one almost all adult creators these days.
Well, we wanted to give some clear informations to avoid to get striked.

These are the "banned keywords" for posts\walkthrough\game names that will get your page instantly striked:
  • son
  • mother
  • father
  • step-mother
  • sister
  • step-sister
  • daughter
  • aunt
  • uncle
  • teen
  • rape
Patreon is not only against Incest, Rape and Bestiality. If you're going to set up graphics for your page you will have to AVOID everything that could be seen as "nsfw".
This mean you will have to AVOID: nudity, everything that could be intended as sexual approach. And yeah, for nudity the topless is intended too.

If your game contains incest you will not have to make it clear. You will have to set your game in the way that THE PLAYER will be able to write what kind of relationship he have with the NPCs. Like presenting npcs on the intro of the game and asking player "what is this character to you?" and he will have to input "friend\sister\mother\whatever" - Of course, write as default instances "friend" as relationship. In this way your game will be not an incest game, but the player will make it be and you MIGHT be safe.

You will have to replace the "family ambience" with the "co-habitation ambience", since room-mates are allowed and family members are not.

Instead of writing the word "fetishes in the game", you will have to write "adult content in the game". Yeah, "fetish\fetishes" is another banned word.

You will have to set an adult content warning on the intro of your game before it starts asking if the player is 21+ with a choice yes\no, if he clicks no, the game will go back on the main menu.

The Trust & Safety team will check:
  • The game content
  • The walkthrough content
  • All posted things (even if closed to Patrons)
Be careful on the banned words and all the advices gave here and you will be safe.

I noticed nobody wrote a guide like so yeah, you're welcome :D

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
Add to that "portrayal of characters" - Patreon is very strict on everybody being 18+, and will not always accept your reassurance that they are. Avoid having actual age anywhere in the game, and try avoiding anything that can be construed as "underage" - like having the characters attend high-school, for instance. Note that even if you provide everything, showing them that all characters are 18+, any reference refer to them as adults, etc, if Patreon says they "look to young", you will have to redo them to avoid being banned. Yes, it's completely insane, but hey, that's Patreon for you.

Reactions: Kravenar Games

Delmach

Oct 3, 2017
While I like the effort, you seem to be sure of things that I dont think anyone really knows. Also a hint to the LewdPatcher website seems in order, seeing as how many developers have a patch on there.

About the not knowing part, the recent review/suspension wave showed that they in fact do not check all content, be it game, walkthrough or whatever. Pages got flagged for showing nudity, thats true, but they went online again, even when games would easily violate the guidelines.

Edit: The reason I mentioned Lewdpatcher is, developers can create games with the intent to be something, and have context/innuendos necessary to actually have some kind of weight, and then have a patch uploaded to enable it all. Or even patch in characters scenes, which is also a thing.

Instead of just having a simple name/relationship changer, that would do nothing if there isnt any context to it. If you can exchange the name in every sentence in a game and it works both ways, then I would say its the cheap way.

Kravenar Games

Game Developer
Mar 28, 2017
Trust me, they actually CHECK the walkthrough and the content - they can even suspend a page for incest content in the walkthroughs.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Delmach

Oct 3, 2017
Trust me, they actually CHECK the walkthrough and the content - they can even suspend a page for incest content in the walkthroughs.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
When do they check the games content then, if not when a developers page is under review? And to what extent do they check it? Im not the only one that thinks they do not play every game and check everything there is to find something that would be against it.

Im not saying anyone is right or wrong, im saying nobody really knows, and the recent wave of reviews showed they dont check it all, at least not all the time.

Edit: Somewhat related, thought they wanted to implement an age check, anyone got info if thats on top of removing nudity from pages, or would that revert the cleansing of pages?

Quonix

Donor
Game Developer
Nov 21, 2017
If your game contains incest you will not have to make it clear. You will have to set your game in the way that THE PLAYER will be able to write what kind of relationship he have with the NPCs. Like presenting npcs on the intro of the game and asking player "what is this character to you?" and he will have to input "friend\sister\mother\whatever" - Of course, write as default instances "friend" as relationship. In this way your game will be not an incest game, but the player will make it be and you will be safe.
and you will be safe.

You MIGHT be safe, this isn't a guarantee.

Kravenar Games

Game Developer
Mar 28, 2017
When do they check the games content then, if not when a developers page is under review? And to what extent do they check it? Im not the only one that thinks they do not play every game and check everything there is to find something that would be against it.

Im not saying anyone is right or wrong, im saying nobody really knows, and the recent wave of reviews showed they dont check it all, at least not all the time.

Edit: Somewhat related, thought they wanted to implement an age check, anyone got info if thats on top of removing nudity from pages, or would that revert the cleansing of pages?
I don't actually know what is the age-check intended for. Since everyone have to be 18+ (in the modern world) to get a card to be a pledger. So I suppose that's related to the NSFW content.

Delmach

Oct 3, 2017
I don't actually know what is the age-check intended for. Since everyone have to be 18+ (in the modern world) to get a card to be a pledger. So I suppose that's related to the NSFW content.
Yes its for the already hidden NSFW content. But for me an age check would be so developers could actually show some eye candy again, not have more restrictions on top of overything. Thats what im wondering.

And about the 18+ part, not everybody uses a card, thats what Paypal was born for, for people that arent old enough to get a CC, or dont want one, for reasons as that their countries dont really have a need for those.

hw2121

Game Developer
Apr 13, 2018
One thing to note is that not only your page and posts need to be compliant to their rules but also publicly visible comments from users on your posts.

I had a user post nude images in a comment on one of my posts and my account got suspended because of it.

Stareagle lord

Aug 8, 2017
Add to that "portrayal of characters" - Patreon is very strict on everybody being 18+, and will not always accept your reassurance that they are. Avoid having actual age anywhere in the game, and try avoiding anything that can be construed as "underage" - like having the characters attend high-school, for instance. Note that even if you provide everything, showing them that all characters are 18+, any reference refer to them as adults, etc, if Patreon says they "look to young", you will have to redo them to avoid being banned. Yes, it's completely insane, but hey, that's Patreon for you.
So you mean.... If i make an rpg mv game where everyone that attends school is like 19-20+
And on Other humanoid races that you even see stuff like wings and such but they are a bit shorter on 3d graphics but lets say they have big boobs. And but on 2d graphics they have like big boobs like everyone of age and yet patreon could say She's underage redo her or redo whole race or not allowed looks too young are
you for real?.. >.> :(

joecoe

Jun 14, 2018
And do you think someone from the Trust and Safety team really plays the games published on Patreon, or they just check the texts and pictures posted on the developer's Patreon page?

Stareagle lord

Aug 8, 2017
maybe not the crew themself but would't suprise me if a gamer or 2 or something like that gets free copy of every demo/build to check for any bad stuff and report back... heard of worse jobs than that :p

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
You need to add "implied nudity" to the list. "Interns of Ecstasy Island" got suspended due to nudity behind censor bars ( ).

So, according to Patreon:
- Women in tiny bikinis = OK
- A woman with no top on, but their hand and arm covering more breast than a bikini = SUSPEND ACCOUNT

GaussianFracture

Game Developer
Jul 5, 2017
It is quite upsetting that patreon is going backwards instead of giving people more freedom. Would you happen to know if patreon allows creators to use it as a tip jar?

For example, I wouldn't even put a single image let alone anything sexual and just describe myself as a game developer, I wouldn't even link anything to my game on any patreon page. Rather than that, I'd refer people on F95 and other forums to my patreon account since they know my work and they can simply donate whatever they want.

Would anyone know what's patreons policy for allowing like that?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
First of all, many of you noticed that Patreon is striking one by one almost all adult creators these days.
Do they ? For me it's just the continuation of what they started on November. There's too many adult account and too few people in their trust and safety team, so yeah it take time, a very long time, for them to reach the end of this task. According to , there's 1.975 creators of adult games on Patreon. They need to treat 38 accounts by week to end it in one year, while still reviewing the other accounts flagged as "adult content" and continuing to do their other tasks. It's just impossible, especially due to the fact that they check everything. Therefore, expect accounts to be still put in review next year.

I noticed nobody wrote a guide like so yeah, you're welcome :D
You forgot one important thing learned during the previous months ; more explicitly by what happened to Mr.Dots.
For Patreon it's not just about the content put on their site, but about the funded game. So, don't expect to be safe because you put the banned content on your own site. As long as there's a link on your Patreon page, they feel free to take a look behind the link and to strike hard if they found something they dislike.
That's why Mr.Dots ended starting a new game. Patreon gave him the choice, either he created a new game which became the one funded, continuing to update Dating My Daughter outside of Patreon, or he was kicked out.

All this said, eight month after they started it's even more stupid than it was at first. Especially now that Steam changed their mind and toke the opposite way, letting their users be adults and act as adults.

MaxCarna

Game Developer
Jun 13, 2017
My page was suspended for some days. I got the impression that I was changing mails with a automatic system or semi-automatic, the name was April too. I studied a tool once called Oracle Right Now that had a similar way of communication, almost none human intervention. Beside that chatbots are evolving really fast.

I would risk that they automatic suspend based on users report, someone saw something on your page and disliked. When you try to get cleared at some point a script evaluate keywords and all public images are scanned with some program just like Facebook does. Sometimes the system make mistakes, we saw cases involving Facebook with mother breasfeeding her babies and got their photos automatic blocked. After complain, the system libered them.

I do not think they bother to go into every game, they can simple see what users are commenting about it. Like "the mother is great", "when we gonna bang the sister?".

Delmach

Oct 3, 2017
It is quite upsetting that patreon is going backwards instead of giving people more freedom. Would you happen to know if patreon allows creators to use it as a tip jar?

For example, I wouldn't even put a single image let alone anything sexual and just describe myself as a game developer, I wouldn't even link anything to my game on any patreon page. Rather than that, I'd refer people on F95 and other forums to my patreon account since they know my work and they can simply donate whatever they want.

Would anyone know what's patreons policy for allowing like that?
Thats basically what many people say it was and is meant to be. Its not you paying for a creator to deliver something on time, its you giving some money to a creator you like without any guaranteed payoff. And since last year more people basically did exactly what you said, just let their name speak and not put anything relevant on their Patr. website.

I am pretty sure they even said their service is not meant to be for a single product, but for a creator/team/whatever. What most developers still do is just put on scraps of another project on there, which might just be a strawman and never get finished, or maybe actually get worked on after their initial project is finished.

Reactions: GaussianFracture

Kravenar Games

Game Developer
Mar 28, 2017
My page was suspended for some days. I got the impression that I was changing mails with a automatic system or semi-automatic, the name was April too. I studied a tool once called Oracle Right Now that had a similar way of communication, almost none human intervention. Beside that chatbots are evolving really fast.

I would risk that they automatic suspend based on users report, someone saw something on your page and disliked. When you try to get cleared at some point a script evaluate keywords and all public images are scanned with some program just like Facebook does. Sometimes the system make mistakes, we saw cases involving Facebook with mother breasfeeding her babies and got their photos automatic blocked. After complain, the system libered them.

I do not think they bother to go into every game, they can simple see what users are commenting about it. Like "the mother is great", "when we gonna bang the sister?".
I would really like to know every single mother of the all actual reporting users. And make them know what really the word ADULT means. ;)

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
If you're looking for a tip jar, something like or would probably be better. Just make it clear that this is a "thank you for your work" tip, not a sale or promise for future services, and don't go into too much detail about your work.

GaussianFracture

Game Developer
Jul 5, 2017
Thats basically what many people say it was and is meant to be. Its not you paying for a creator to deliver something on time, its you giving some money to a creator you like without any guaranteed payoff. And since last year more people basically did exactly what you said, just let their name speak and not put anything relevant on their Patr. website.

I am pretty sure they even said their service is not meant to be for a single product, but for a creator/team/whatever. What most developers still do is just put on scraps of another project on there, which might just be a strawman and never get finished, or maybe actually get worked on after their initial project is finished.
Yeah a workaround seems to be the only option at this point.

If you're looking for a tip jar, something like or would probably be better. Just make it clear that this is a "thank you for your work" tip, not a sale or promise for future services, and don't go into too much detail about your work.
Thanks, these look quite useful for a tip jar. Although it still seems like a good approach to avoid from linking to any NSFW pages on the main profile incase they have rules against it.