Umm... pardon for the noobness, but what is a Ren'Py game short version?

damndor

Looking for a nothing
Donor
Mar 10, 2018
Been often wondering this... VN = Visual Novel, yes? So... a Ren'Py game is pretty much a novel/big load of text where you just just read and click/choose between random selection of choices to progress in the story and occasionally you get to view a pic or video? No walking around etc., right? Just wondering since I am still uncertain of it despite googling etc.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
It's an engine made for Visual Novels, so yes it's basically just text and pictures in most common uses, but it's not limited to that. One can add items, inventory, management, map movement, branching choices, etc if they so desire and by no means the only way to do it.

The best comparison is what Word is for texts, it's not he only way to write texts, and it can do tables, drawings, and other stuff, it's just that its main use is making text documents.

Flecc

Donor
Sep 3, 2018
Renpy games are generally visual novel tho it can in the right hands be used for rpg of sorts ie character building and that sort of stuff

but its main stay is VN

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Other's have answered what Ren'py is, but there's also what Ren'py mean :
It's short for ren'ai (Japanese for "romantic love"), for the initially intended content of the game, and Python, for the language used to create the engine.

damndor

Looking for a nothing
Donor
Mar 10, 2018
Yes, okay, so the games we find on f95zone are pretty much "loads of text (story), click-choices and more text (story)", right?

CLDꝜ

̷ ̷ ̶ ̴ ̴ ̴ ̷ ̸ ̸ ̷ ̵ ̸ ̸ ̴ ̵ ̷ ̵ ̴ ̶ ̴ ̶ ̵ ̶ ̴ ̵
Staff member
Community Liaison
Jul 7, 2017
Most of them are. There's a few here too, but they are not made with Ren'Py.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Yes, okay, so the games we find on f95zone are pretty much "loads of text (story), click-choices and more text (story)", right?
RenPy as a game engine is pretty flexible. Yes, it's primary aim is to create visual novels or at least visual novel like games.

But I've seen (and played) minigames within RenPy games that include things like picking locks, playing Pong (tennis), sliding number puzzles and some others I can't remember.

But the vast majority of RenPy authors probably picked the engine because players are familiar with it and it's easy to create a basic story with. Beyond that, it's really about the author's imagination and experience.

At the very basic level... that's a story told like a storyboard with subtitles. With each character speaking their dialogue and that appearing at the bottom of the screen.
A more experienced author might add in alternate stories based on character stats or choices the player makes.
An even more experienced author might have a very complex story, with a rich user interface, some sort of stats system, maybe some sort of combat mechanics, minigames or anything else the author can imagine.

The associated pictures can be anything from really bad images created in MSPaint, hand drawn cartoon like 2D pictures, 3D rendered life-like models, 3D created pose-able models (I'm thinking Hunny Select), even pixel art I guess. Up to and including some very complex animations. Again, limited only by the author's skill.

As far as it being "just text". I can't say it feels like that when you're playing. My "just text" comparison would be most of the bad HTML games... where there's lots of reading and very little visually going on. RenPy games tend to be mostly still images with some text explaining what's going on, who's saying what or who's thinking what. Again, some (but not most) are a lot more complex than that. I suppose if you're comparison would be more mainstream games like Warcraft, Warframe, CoD, Diablo, Fortnight, Red Dead Redemption or even Tetris... then yeah, there's more text to read.

My advice if you're wondering is just to just download a couple of games from the . Sort the list by Likes and grab 2 or 3 games that catch your eye on the first page that are flagged as RenPy (Maybe avoid Summertime Saga as a first try). Play 10-15 minutes of each. Anything you see as similar between your random choices of games is what makes it "a RenPy game", the differences will all be about the author's imagination.

Reactions: Nottravis

damndor

Looking for a nothing
Donor
Mar 10, 2018
Thanks for the replies. I guess I got the needed answers. Ren'Py's not for me, but I certainly understand why so many like it, though, absolutely. Thread can be locked if needed.