Unity Unable to locate the exact scripts to edit dialogue

koopa990

May 9, 2023
So I have installed and used several different Unity-related tools to go into the game files (sharp assembly.dll). I assume that is where majority of the assets are there, including texts for character dialogues. So far, I had no luck locating it. My next assumption was in the asset files, but no luck there.

Does anyone have a clue? The Unity game name is titled "Crowjob in Space."

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
My next assumption was in the asset files, but no luck there.
It can be.

Unity is a fully opened engine, the dialogs will be where the developer want them to be. This can be directly inside the code, in an asset-like file, or even retrieved from a distant server. And, of course, they can be in plain text, ciphered, and/or compressed.
Trying to edit dialogs in an Unity game (but also Unreal or Godot one) is a question of luck for anyone who don't already have enough coding knowledge to understand the code that will display them. With luck the text is in plain sigh and you can edit it. Without luck you can pass hundred times in front of it without understanding that it's what you are seeing.

koopa990

May 9, 2023
It can be.

Unity is a fully opened engine, the dialogs will be where the developer want them to be. This can be directly inside the code, in an asset-like file, or even retrieved from a distant server. And, of course, they can be in plain text, ciphered, and/or compressed.
Trying to edit dialogs in an Unity game (but also Unreal or Godot one) is a question of luck for anyone who don't already have enough coding knowledge to understand the code that will display them. With luck the text is in plain sigh and you can edit it. Without luck you can pass hundred times in front of it without understanding that it's what you are seeing.
Yeah. With numerous attempts on different tools and finding the source, I have no luck so far.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Have you tried using BeppinEx?

It's a unity game 3rd party text-replacement tool. Typically it is used for translation. The translation part can be hooked up to things like DeepL or AI services, but it actually also can use a local file for the replacement strings.

It was the translation tool I used to do the Japanese game linked in my profile. At the time the AI services were not really common so the MTL was awful. I manually edited the local file (huge amount of work) to fix all the translations.