Ren'Py Unable to play android port's on android 11/12

Calz

Mar 12, 2022
VN's that aren't running the latest version of renpy don't work on Android 11 or 12 anymore due to constant crashing and it's extremely frustrating as it's impossible to downgrade your phones firmware at least with Samsung phones anyway. The majority of developers still use old versions of renpy, does anyone else experience this and know of a work around? Thanks.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
VN's that aren't running the latest version of renpy don't work on Android 11 or 12 anymore [...]
What do you mean by them not working anymore ?
Android is supposed to be backward compatible, while the older version of Ren'Py are... Well, they are older, and therefore do not change at all.

Calz

Mar 12, 2022
What do you mean by them not working anymore ?
Android is supposed to be backward compatible, while the older version of Ren'Py are... Well, they are older, and therefore do not change at all.
You can play for a couple of minutes then the app crashes, it’s not happening on renpy v8.0+ but on v7.5 (and lower) for example the crashing happens every 3-5 minutes sometimes shorter sometimes longer. The issue didn’t exist on android 10 but does on android 11 and 12.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
You can play for a couple of minutes then the app crashes, it’s not happening on renpy v8.0+ but on v7.5 (and lower) for example the crashing happens every 3-5 minutes sometimes shorter sometimes longer.
I guess that it's due to this . Since it's android ports, there's nothing you can do to fix it by yourself.