Ren'Py Abandoned Unforeseen Ascent: Origin [Alpha 1.0a] [Archronique]

darkhound1

Game Developer
Aug 8, 2017
All these floating in the air people and furniture stuff are really disturbing to my eye.
And Alice really looks like a 13 year old. The others are okay (age wise).

Archronique

Game Developer
Nov 7, 2017
I hope you understand that every single Sandbox game contains some consecutive screens of text that could be labeled 'VN', but never are.

Actually, I'm sorry to have troubled you, since I don't have time to play Sandbox games, regardless of how long their Visual Novel Phases are. I hope your game is successful. If it is, perhaps at some point I'll take the time to try it. Thank you for your response.
You're right, and I think these sandbox games should have the VN tag.
I think there is a confusion in our definition of what is a VN so here is how I see it.

Visual Novel and Sandbox are not mutually exclusive, there are not even in the same category.
"Visual Novel" is a storytelling format (text accompanied by something visual like images), "Sandbox" is a game mechanic.
There is nothing that force you to choose between both because they doesn't affect your game the same way, an exemple:
- I could replace the VN part with interactive movies, the sandbox part would not be affected.
- I could replace the sandbox part with a puzzle gameplay there would still have a VN part between each puzzle.

I think what is wrong here is that on this forum the VN tag is placed above the others visually speaking. I'm okay to replace the VN tag with "Hybrid" or something like this, but I don't think it exist. :confused:

Reactions: symbiot3

ShadrachVS

Jun 13, 2017
You're right, and I think these sandbox games should have the VN tag.
I think there is a confusion in our definition of what is a VN so here is how I see it.

Visual Novel and Sandbox are not mutually exclusive, there are not even in the same category.
"Visual Novel" is a storytelling format (text accompanied by something visual like images), "Sandbox" is a game mechanic.
There is nothing that force you to choose between both because they doesn't affect your game the same way, an exemple:
- I could replace the VN part with interactive movies, the sandbox part would not be affected.
- I could replace the sandbox part with a puzzle gameplay there would still have a VN part between each puzzle.

I think what is wrong here is that on this forum the VN tag is placed above the others visually speaking. I'm okay to replace the VN tag with "Hybrid" or something like this, but I don't think it exist. :confused:
I think that a lot of people assume Visual Novel to be the opposite of Sandbox; where the player is basically along for the ride with perhaps some key choices that direct the story in one or more directions. Like the older Japanese Eroge, out there. They see Sandbox as more of the "free to roam about locations". I think they see only the extremes of the decisions, it is about developer priority. So if they see a VN tag they assume that it will be a story-based theme park ride with only a number of splits in the tracks they can direct at... whereas sandbox should be off the rails (at least in appearance [some devs can make an openworld game even more railroad like than a VN]).
Whereas you are looking at them in the light of VN being a thematic choice, and sandbox being a story choice?

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Archronique

Game Developer
Nov 7, 2017
I think that a lot of people assume Visual Novel to be the opposite of Sandbox; where the player is basically along for the ride with perhaps some key choices that direct the story in one or more directions. Like the older Japanese Eroge, out there. They see Sandbox as more of the "free to roam about locations". I think they see only the extremes of the decisions, it is about developer priority. So if they see a VN tag they assume that it will be a story-based theme park ride with only a number of splits in the tracks they can direct at... whereas sandbox should be off the rails (at least in appearance [some devs can make an openworld game even more railroad like than a VN]).
Yep pretty much this (however I didn't understand the last sentence and the spoiler :( ).

Thierry29

Jun 3, 2017
Uhhh, not sure if you meant it or not, but "personnel" is the french translation of "personal".
Personnel :

personnel du magasin : like worker of a store in that case it's man and woman

mon téléphone personnel : my private tel personnal property
mon avis personnel : personnel opinion... my think.

FratRat69

Apr 27, 2019
I think you have retained an appropriate amount of French in the English version. It fits the story line. Somewhat awkward mechanics but , generally, it works.

Reactions: Archronique

Putzi

Donor
Nov 23, 2017
If anyone is interested, here are the fixed translation files.
I found most of the errors at Alice.
I hope it wasn't intentional, at the Shopkeeper :
vis = this
ze = the
and others.

Draon79

Oct 28, 2018
Archronique my suggestion would be hints or a quest log in the character notes, i got lost on the Abigail route due to not remembering to do the nooptroic first, doing that would remove the need for a walkthrough for alot of people and make the character screen more useful. Thanks!

Reactions: vgyew

Loli Jesus

Jun 17, 2018
Not typically a fan of ren'py models, but the female characters in this are actually attractive. A lot of these games tend to have female characters that look like the Crimson Chin in my opinion(lol). Good job man.

Reactions: Archronique

Darkhound

Sep 2, 2017
Whereas you are looking at them in the light of VN being a thematic choice, and sandbox being a story choice?

Well that would be the case if there where not games like Rance, especially Sengoku Rance, and Kamidori Alchemy Meister, which both are on the "older" side. They have both the VN and the "Sandbox" elements combined with them. At least that is how I see it and it made them both not bad games. A bit more work than just klick, decide and done, but fun. So if people play games from the Japanese Eroge Departement they should at least know of the existence of these games.

But I noticed something, most people tend to just want to fap without doing anything, aside from a few choices that leads them to what they want. At least that is how I see it. Which is sad, since even lewd games should have more than just click, fap and done to them. Otherwise it would all become the same over time and get boring. Its just like with the Trope "living with mother, older and younger sister" that is already on the boring side by now

Paprika

Aug 14, 2017
Too bad there's not an incest patch, because there's no way I can think of a childhood friend as a relative...just because it's not. I'd have a lot of relatives if that were really the case.

lordfridge9

Emperor of Universe 7
Donor
Aug 24, 2017
Too bad there's not an incest patch, because there's no way I can think of a childhood friend as a relative...just because it's not. I'd have a lot of relatives if that were really the case.
Why is there that tag then?

Durruti2000

Sep 5, 2018
Looks promising, I hope that the updates will be monthly or something like that because this game looks like it will be one of those tops games.
The art it's really good and you can't fail having a FMC redhead...

Archronique

Game Developer
Nov 7, 2017
If anyone is interested, here are the fixed translation files.
Hum, thanks mate but they weren't translation errors :)
As I say in another post before yours, Alice is bilingual, she sometimes speaks with french words in the english version and with english words in the french version.
The shopkeeper speaks with a very exotic accent, that's why somes words like "the" are replaced with "ze", the french version has the same thing.

Archronique my suggestion would be hints or a quest log in the character notes, i got lost on the Abigail route due to not remembering to do the nooptroic first, doing that would remove the need for a walkthrough for alot of people and make the character screen more useful. Thanks!
You're absolutly right and the worst is that I had already added this mechanism but I removed at the last moment thinking that the alpha 1.0 is not yet complex enough, seems I was wrong.
Concerning the character screen, it will be more useful in the nexts update by showing how you "affect" a girl and what you know about her.

As I said the incest part is not only for MC, don't worry I didn't put this tag for clickbait.

Also, Alice is not a MC childhood friend but something strictly identical to sister (And you will never see MC talk about her with words related to friendship). In French we call these people " " (or "Soeur de coeur" for sisters) wich means "A person whom you consider to be your brother/sister without having a biological link with him/her".
Unfortunately I didn't found a word or expression in english for this french term, translators say "heart brother" but it seems nobody know this term on the internet, and soulmate is another thing radically different. :confused:

Abaddon01

Feb 6, 2018
No incest yet.....at this Point this Game...MEHHH....not even sexual content...buts ok,its still at beginning. Hope it gets more intresting on Future Versions.....

Archronique

Game Developer
Nov 7, 2017
Looks promising, I hope that the updates will be monthly or something like that because this game looks like it will be one of those tops games.
The art it's really good and you can't fail having a FMC redhead...
Thanks. :)
I don't want to make promises about the frequency of updates but for now the goal that I will try to hold as much as possible is to release the next updates with a minimum of one month (because of the free release delay) and a maximum of two.

Reactions: Durruti2000