Unity Issue

meigame

Engaged Member
Dec 2, 2017
Help! used to be able to run unity games - now I get this error:

couldn't switch to requested monitor resolution

Switching to resolution 640x480 failed, trying lower one
All resolution switches have failed
Screen: DX11 could not switch resolution (640x480 fs=0 hz=0)

No matter what resolution it is always an error. Help?

DanMachiFan

Jan 22, 2018
I never had this problem but I searched a bit and a user on steam solved it by following the procedure below.

Right click on the game .exe, go to "properties" > "compatibility" and check "disable full screen optimization". Click OK.

For some it worked, for others it didn't, but trying doesn't cost anything :)

meigame

Engaged Member
Dec 2, 2017
interesting. though I'm windows 10 not 7. but still. maybe I missed something and would be a good idea to update my windows anyway. thank you.

well. it said checked yesterday but ran another check and says it's up to date so likely not this. thanks again.

Last edited:

meigame

Engaged Member
Dec 2, 2017
I never had this problem but I searched a bit and a user on steam solved it by following the procedure below.

Right click on the game .exe, go to "properties" > "compatibility" and check "disable full screen optimization". Click OK.

For some it worked, for others it didn't, but trying doesn't cost anything :)
I will give this a try. thank you

Well. downloaded a recent unity game. tried it on the game.exe - no change. tried it on game.exe and crash handler.exe - no change. so thinking that's not it but thank you again.

Last edited:

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I will give this a try. thank you

Well. downloaded a recent unity game. tried it on the game.exe - no change. tried it on game.exe and crash handler.exe - no change. so thinking that's not it but thank you again.
Is your DirectX update tho

meigame

Engaged Member
Dec 2, 2017
Is your DirectX update tho
So following microsoft instructions I find I have directx 12. then when I look to update they say:
"DirectX 11.3 and 12 are included with these Windows versions.
Updates will be available through Windows Update. There is no stand-alone package for these versions of DirectX."

My updates are up to date. don't know what else i can do. Seems odd it worked a month ago and now doesn't.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
So following microsoft instructions I find I have directx 12. then when I look to update they say:
"DirectX 11.3 and 12 are included with these Windows versions.
Updates will be available through Windows Update. There is no stand-alone package for these versions of DirectX."

My updates are up to date. don't know what else i can do. Seems odd it worked a month ago and now doesn't.
Could I ask you to try my game? It forces the resolution to 1280x720 at launch.

If this also fails, perhaps you should try to reinstall your video drivers.

Do you have a laptop? If you do, right click the executable and under "Run with graphics processor" select your intel, assuming that you have a GPU as default, that should work.

meigame

Engaged Member
Dec 2, 2017

Do you have a laptop? If you do, right click the executable and under "Run with graphics processor" select your intel, assuming that you have a GPU as default, that should work.
your game started right up with no issue. just double clicked and go (wanted to test before I tried your direction). I have no idea why some are and some aren't...

meigame

Engaged Member
Dec 2, 2017

This did help though. I went back to another unity game that had an error and did right click on the game.exe and "run with graphics processor". my options were:
high performance NVIDIA processor
integrated graphics (default)

when I selected integrated graphics the game played. So if I remember this hopefully I have the work around. Though I don't understand why games that used to just play now need this "bypass".

But thank you very much.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Weird... The NVIDIA processor should be the default one.
Anyways you can fix the problem easily by reinstalling the drivers. (Note: Reinstalling, not updating)

meigame

Engaged Member
Dec 2, 2017
Weird... The NVIDIA processor should be the default one.
Anyways you can fix the problem easily by reinstalling the drivers. (Note: Reinstalling, not updating)
tried this on 2 other games that had the issue. they work. it appears you have solved the issue, though again, don''t understand why it just started happening and would prefer it to not. But oh well. will take the solution.

Again, thank you very much.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
"windows update" can not be trusted to update your graphics drivers.
Get driver updates from the manufacturer only.