Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.2.1] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

kenshiro2k

Jul 5, 2017
I've just published URM 1.11

The changelog:

• Improved path detection (detect paths behind transitions)
  • Extended keyboard controls (control detected paths and choices using your keyboard)
    • You can now fully control detected paths (Alt+A to open the dialog) and detected choices (Alt+C)
  • Added option to open Ren'Py console using Alt+O
    • You can enable this through the URM options. This will even work when the Ren'Py console is disabled
  • Keep search input when changing search mode
  • Fix: Prevent crash when a game has assigned something to the "os" variable

More detailed information:
Improved path detection:
There were instances where the "path detected" notification would show and quickly disappear again. After some digging I found that in most cases there was a transition (most used transitions are just fades) before the path/if-statement. What would happen is that the notification would only show during the transition. In URM 1.11 it now shows before the transition!
To get this to work, URM has to look forward a little further, which is not a big problem, but.... when selecting/forcing a path through URM we should not just go to the selected path. We should play the transition first (because the scene could change) and then select the path we want.
So I had to built something that URM will still play the transition and force your selected path after this, also I had to make sure rollback still works after doing this :rolleyes:

Extended keyboard controls:
When a choice or path is detected you can now open the details dialog with your keyboard. It shows an underlined character, when you press the Alt-key plus this character the dialog will open.
The "C" is underlined here, meaning Alt+C will open the details dialog:
View attachment 2056637
You can then also use combinations with the Alt-key to control everything inside the dialog:
View attachment 2056638

Keep search input when changing search mode
Before, when changing the search mode for example from "values" to "labels" would clear the search input. This doesn't happen anymore.

Let me know I you like this detailed information and I might do this for other features.
Thank you 0x52 :love:

The Improved path detection is a very nice wanted addition, really appreciated the great work. :D

Also to mention that I tried to go to Patreon but it's blocked due to region restrictions, do you have another similar service to join and support?

kenshiro2k

Jul 5, 2017
Update on Improved path detection, still not able to grasp the popup as it disappear immediately.

This is seen in "Straitened Times"; I have attached a save file below, you can see that by talking to Neighbor and Help with Gardening, then taking a bath, multiple single choice popups will not stay to check the code and requirements which will help to understand the necessary condition to reach that goal.

Still, I believe we are getting there. :giggle:

Reactions: Belzeebub$

Belzeebub$

Cheat Or Not
Game Developer
May 18, 2020
Update on Improved path detection, still not able to grasp the popup as it disappear immediately.
Mine too. I tested with at least 4 games. It happens in each of them. The path before transition still is not working. Maybe it needs more time. But thanks for the update 0x52

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Note: I am using this on android via Joiplay. I have been for around five months with no issue since around 1.6 or 1.7.

Here are some screenshots of what I am seeing. This is Sunshine Love. The in-game updater has never worked on Android so I have had to manually replace the 0x52.rpa file. It has been properly extracted and moved. If it's just an android issue, don't worry about it, as I know it's not been built with it in mind. I'll just tick the don't check for updates option for now.

View attachment 2058172

View attachment 2058176

View attachment 2058178
I'm not familiar with how Joiplay works, but I guess it extracts the .rpa file and for some reason has now old and new files mixed.

Not even joking the only reason I log into f95 now days to see if URM updated was looking forward to a new update for weeks. And seems like one of my suggestions made it. Keeping search inputs while changing search types and more notifications for paths n variable changes on future plans list :love: thank you very much!
There's two of your requests being added in this version :eek:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

getting the following error after I save some variable and try to view them

File "0x52/screens/vars.rpy.x52", line 67, in <module>
File "renpy/common/00action_data.rpy", line 178, in SetLocalVariable
return SetDict(sys._getframe(1).f_locals, name, value)
AttributeError: 'ADVCharacter' object has no attribute '_getframe'

While running game code:
File "renpy/common/00action_data.rpy", line 178, in SetLocalVariable
return SetDict(sys._getframe(1).f_locals, name, value)
AttributeError: 'ADVCharacter' object has no attribute '_getframe'

any helpful ideas?
It's exactly as Darksshades describes here:
That just means the game overrided system variable that should not be overrided and that breaks the standard behavior of ren'py.
I'm afraid there is probably nothing that can be done about that. A remember this happens on cure my addiction because they override the 'sys' variable to be a character named 'sys' to display system messages instead.
The Ren'Py documentation has a list, but some devs don't care.

Thank you 0x52 :love:

The Improved path detection is a very nice wanted addition, really appreciated the great work. :D

Also to mention that I tried to go to Patreon but it's blocked due to region restrictions, do you have another similar service to join and support?
There's a PayPal donation option on (right top), but I've been thinking about creating a SubscribeStar page.

This is seen in "Straitened Times"; I have attached a save file below, you can see that by talking to Neighbor and Help with Gardening, then taking a bath, multiple single choice popups will not stay to check the code and requirements which will help to understand the necessary condition to reach that goal.

Still, I believe we are getting there. :giggle:
Mine too. I tested with at least 4 games. It happens in each of them. The path before transition still is not working. Maybe it needs more time. But thanks for the update 0x52
That would mean there something else then a transition going on here. kenshiro2k's save should be very helpful, I'll check.

Last edited:

HVS3

Jul 12, 2018
good mod i used on a bb version, but it needs a way to skip day &/or week. if it has this function i couldn't find it

Kazami

NTR BEST GENRE
Donor
May 26, 2017
Started using this mod early last year, can't play a game without it since. It's amazing, fucking masterpiece, every game feels empty without it.

• Love
Reactions: 0x52

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
good mod i used on a bb version, but it needs a way to skip day &/or week. if it has this function i couldn't find it
By your recent posts I figured you mean Big Brother with "bb"? I grabbed it and searched for "day":
1664298924748.png
Seems that the "days" variable determines the current day, changing this will bring you to the day of your choice.

Belzeebub$

Cheat Or Not
Game Developer
May 18, 2020
do you have this mod for mobile
As an android user I must add some info as gathered through experience. Except 'the66' port all ports I played are urm friendly. But note that you cannot use it as cheat mod (obviously, since it does not come with keyboard) but you will be able know the path detection and the walkthrough mod(i.e. The points involved with the choices). Best to use joiplay though it is very user friendly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0x52
May 14, 2022
it didn't work with older titles like Sakura MMO 1-3 and Extra, anychance you might know how to get those to work or add support for old Ren'py engine made games soon if possible?

Jonboy80

Dec 8, 2017
As a android user I must add some info as gathered through experience. Except 'the66' port all ports I played are urm friendly. But note that you cannot use it as cheat mod (obviously, since it does not come with keyboard). Best to use joiplay though it is very user friendly.
You might be able to if you use something like Hacker's Keyboard which would allow you to open the keyboard at any time. Not sure though. I haven't used .apk versions of VNs in a long time, though, so it may not work.

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
it didn't work with older titles like Sakura MMO 1-3 and Extra, anychance you might know how to get those to work or add support for old Ren'py engine made games soon if possible?
You could try upgrading the Ren'Py version yourself. See this post:
you can always update the game to a newer renpy version (i would suggest makeing a backup of the whole game first just in case the new engine is not compatible with the code from the old game)

this has worked well for me almost every time i have attempted it.

on a side note this also worked to repair/replace missing or sabotaged engine files that the dev messed with to try to prevent decompilation

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Belzeebub$

Cheat Or Not
Game Developer
May 18, 2020
You might be able to if you use something like Hacker's Keyboard which would allow you to open the keyboard at any time. Not sure though. I haven't used .apk versions of VNs in a long time, though, so it may not work.
I already have hackers keyboard. But it will not work in ports, because there are no options to access the board. What I mean to say is the keyboard/keypad appears only when you have to write the name of mc or someone else's, otherwise how will you open the keyboard. So, in ports you will never be able to open the cheats(at least with current urm version, dont know about future versions though). I will suggest joiplay instead of playing ports. It opens 90% (till now only one game did not open with current update of joiplay) of the renpy games, so why wait for ports??

Wills747

Engaged Member
Dec 14, 2018
As an android user I must add some info as gathered through experience. Except 'the66' port all ports I played are urm friendly. But note that you cannot use it as cheat mod (obviously, since it does not come with keyboard) but you will be able know the path detection and the walkthrough mod(i.e. The points involved with the choices). Best to use joiplay though it is very user friendly.
You can use any of my recent ports and a custom version I made that hides the virtual keyboard after searching for variables. I have to drag some of the pop up screens to click ok/save buttons but it is quite usable.
If you drop the attached qm.rpy along with the 0x52_URM_1.12_Mod.rpa it should work on most Android ports. The only issue is if they use custom quick menu then you may lose some functionality there.

Last edited:

Belzeebub$

Cheat Or Not
Game Developer
May 18, 2020
You can use any of my recent ports and a custom version I made that hides the virtual keyboard after searching for variables. I have to drag some of the pop up screens to click ok/save buttons but it is quite usable.
If you drop the attached qm.rpy along with the 0x52_URM_1.11_Mod.rpa it should work on most Android ports. The only issue is if they use custom quick menu then you may lose some functionality there.
Of course, I have used yours and I was really impressed. It skipped my mind to mention yours. But no offence intended but you donot port all games but whatever you port are compatible with URM. I used karlson gambit of your port and it was really impressive. Sorry for not mentioning yours. But if anyone wants to play whichever games they want they must use joiplay.

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes