Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.1.4] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
I'd like to request a feature: ALT+M to exit URM when it's open.

Reasoning - I hit ALT+M to open. I make my edit. Then I hit ALT+M to close it... but it doesn't close. Next I hit ESC and bring up the save menu. I harumph. Close save menu, reach for mouse, (sometimes click PROGRAM-CLOSE icon... click the correct icon... cancel the close-app), click tiny X and exit URM.
(y) I've put in on the wishlist
I'm not sure yet how I'm going to handle possible open sub windows/dialogs

undercoverloser

Mar 29, 2020
(y) I've put in on the wishlist
Thank you.
I'm not sure yet how I'm going to handle possible open sub windows/dialogs
Maybe some local binary variables when each sub-window is opened? I'm not a fan of unnecessary variables, but when you close URM memory allocated for local variables is released, right?

Or, maybe a single binary (subwindow_open) when one is opened... if (subwindow_open==TRUE) when ALT+M is pressed, then ignore it.

I realize it's a bit of work, (mostly copy-paste), but I think it might be a useful feature.

Thank you for considering it. (By the way, I am still VERY pleased with how well it works!)

Reactions: 0x52

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
You're probably aware of this, but just in case:
For a menu statement like
Code:
menu:
    "Where do you want to look?"

"Medicine Cabinet":
        jump C1S5_infirmary_dia

"Laptop":
        jump C1S5_infirmary_dia
"Where do you want to look?" is treated as a choice in the choice detection dialogue.
Thanks. I did not know that, but it will be fixed in the next release.
(this behavior was introduced in v1.5.3)

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Version 1.7 is out :cool:

Full changelog:
  • Add the option to show next label following a choice
  • Prevent clicking through dialogs
  • Fix: Auto-update issue in Ren'Py 7.4
  • Fix: Dialogue related to choicemenu shown as choice
  • Decreased dialogs transparency
Screenshots of the "next label" feature:
screenshot0003.jpg screenshot0004.jpg

Last edited:

SnowDawg

Oct 12, 2017

Full changelog:
View attachment 1760629 View attachment 1760630
just gotta say that you are a legend, thank you for this great mod

• Love
  • Red Heart
Reactions: Belzeebub$ and 0x52

TheSidewinder

Mar 31, 2020
0x52 I have a request, and I'll explain why I'm asking.

On your next build of URM, please default the update check to off. If we want it on we can turn it on once the game starts.

But with it defaulting to on, even with any "override" file installed that's been posted, the firewall is triggered on first game load.

This has two problems.

The first issue is that your mod isn't asking for internet access... it's the game executable asking for access. If it were your mod asking for it, I'd happily allow the exception once, and that would be the only time I'd need to do this. But it's the game exe so it's different every game, and therefore I have to have a rule for every game (and sometimes every version of a game) in my exceptions list.

And I also have to ask myself at that point... is it your mod, the game itself, or both, that is asking for an outbound connection?

If it's the game in some way sending fuck-knows-what to fuck-knows-who, I want that killed.

I'm cautious, so I deny the request.... and that's the main issue. I have to deny the request anyway, what's the point of trying to override.

If you build with the update check defaulting off, then when I start a game and still see an outbound request, then I am certain it's the game and not your mod.

Please at least consider it? :)
Thanks.

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
0x52 I have a request, and I'll explain why I'm asking.

On your next build of URM, please default the update check to off. If we want it on we can turn it on once the game starts.

But with it defaulting to on, even with any "override" file installed that's been posted, the firewall is triggered on first game load.

This has two problems.

The first issue is that your mod isn't asking for internet access... it's the game executable asking for access. If it were your mod asking for it, I'd happily allow the exception once, and that would be the only time I'd need to do this. But it's the game exe so it's different every game, and therefore I have to have a rule for every game (and sometimes every version of a game) in my exceptions list.

And I also have to ask myself at that point... is it your mod, the game itself, or both, that is asking for an outbound connection?

If it's the game in some way sending fuck-knows-what to fuck-knows-who, I want that killed.

I'm cautious, so I deny the request.... and that's the main issue. I have to deny the request anyway, what's the point of trying to override.

If you build with the update check defaulting off, then when I start a game and still see an outbound request, then I am certain it's the game and not your mod.

Please at least consider it? :)
Thanks.
See:
In a future version of URM I want to add "global settings", which means you will be able to set settings for every instance of URM instead of per game.

Reactions: TheSidewinder

TheSidewinder

Mar 31, 2020
Awesome! If it's possible to squash the outbound call with some config file/setting/whatever (without the program executable getting to it first and making the request), that'd work fine.

CCrusader

Nov 29, 2020
0x52 I have some small requests. It would be nice if we had an option to change the transparency of the textbox. I know that all games don't use the same textbox. Some use custom or a straight-up image but some games have very, VERY ugly textboxes. I know there is a transparent text mod but that just makes everything completely transparent, including choices backgrounds or effects, and the textbox, which is most times worst than the default because the text becomes impossible to read on a white background, so a middle ground is best at those situations. Also, a text size slider would be handy as well. I'm just throwing ideas here, idk if they are easy or hard to implement cause I have no clue but they would be cool to have.

Last edited:

Belzeebub$

Formerly 'Belzeebub'
Game Developer
May 18, 2020

Full changelog:
View attachment 1760629 View attachment 1760630
Thanks a lot. One request though. You perhaps forgot to change the thread name version. It still shows version 1.6.1. Again, thanks for your dedication and hardwork. Looking forward to the next feature [touch aware feature]
just gotta say that you are a legend, thank you for this great mod
I totally, agree. He took moding to a different level. And I am sure many more cool features are yet to be discovered by the Legend

• Love
Reactions: 0x52

Belzeebub$

Formerly 'Belzeebub'
Game Developer
May 18, 2020
0x52 I encountered This error shorts_20220419_150027.jpg
While playing "off the pitch" with version 1.7.
P.S: Works fine with version 1.6.1 though.

Also, faced this error shorts_20220419_175056.jpg
While playing dating my daughter Chapter 1. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
0x52 I have some small requests. It would be nice if we had an option to change the transparency of the textbox. I know that all games don't use the same textbox. Some use custom or a straight-up image but some games have very, VERY ugly textboxes. I know there is a transparent text mod but that just makes everything completely transparent, including choices backgrounds or effects, and the textbox, which is most times worst than the default because the text becomes impossible to read on a white background, so a middle ground is best at those situations. Also, a text size slider would be handy as well. I'm just throwing ideas here, idk if they are easy or hard to implement cause I have no clue but they would be cool to have.
You're looking for , but with more options? (I made the colorpicker in the video about 1,5 years ago for a game)
The only reliable universal way to do this would be by replacing the complete dialogue screen (at the bottom of the window).
I'll think about it and have put it on my list, so I don't forget.

0x52 I encountered This error View attachment 1765155
While playing "off the pitch" with version 1.7.
P.S: Works fine with version 1.6.1 though.

Also, faced this error View attachment 1765425
While playing dating my daughter Chapter 1. Thanks in advance
You realize they're both the exact same error? :)
I'm unable to reproduce this. When does the error appear? After starting or at some random moment?
Can you check the Ren'Py version in the log file.

Reactions: rnzn

Belzeebub$

Formerly 'Belzeebub'
Game Developer
May 18, 2020
I'm unable to reproduce this. When does the error appear? After starting or at some random moment?
Yeah, I know they are same error. It is just to make sure they are of different games. Also I am a noob in terms of coding :sick: :sick: . Anyway in both the cases the error occured at the start.

• Angry
Reactions: JohnJG

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Yeah, I know they are same error. It is just to make sure they are of different games. Also I am a noob in terms of coding :sick: :sick: . Anyway in both the cases the error occured at the start.
Strange that it works fine on my end.
Nevertheless, I created a fix, so this error cannot occur in the next update ;)

Reactions: Belzeebub$

CCrusader

Nov 29, 2020
You're looking for , but with more options? (I made the colorpicker in the video about 1,5 years ago for a game)
The only reliable universal way to do this would be by replacing the complete dialogue screen (at the bottom of the window).
I'll think about it and have put it on my list, so I don't forget.

Yes something like that, or maybe just a simple sliders like these;
Screenshot_1.png Screenshot_2.png
A lot of mods from modders like (shaddy or JokerLeader) come with those features included and some games have it too. The only problem is that they are specific for a game. Idk if you can make a feature like that universal or if its even possible.

• Wow
Reactions: Belzeebub$
5.00 star(s) 33 Votes