Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.2.1] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

TheForsakenImmortal

Dec 24, 2021
Is there a version that works with 6.99.11? I noticed 0x52 mentioned it on page 2, But on the site, they all say they require 6.99.14? The game in question is Second Happiness, and the mods on this site for that game is Dead, and don't show the hidden buttons and for the most part, Don't really do anything.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Is there a version that works with 6.99.11?
Not anymore unfortunately.
You're right, URM has been compatible to 6.99.11 in the beginning, but later on 0x52 wrote in this post:
The Ren'Py version used seems to be to old (as mentioned by @Drak41 and @Techstar).
Previously URM was compatible with 6.99.11 and newer. It seems that it changed at some point. I will change this in de OP and make the next release of URM check if the Ren'Py version is at least 6.99.14 before loading.

Reactions: TheForsakenImmortal

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Is there a version that works with 6.99.11? I noticed 0x52 mentioned it on page 2, But on the site, they all say they require 6.99.14? The game in question is Second Happiness, and the mods on this site for that game is Dead, and don't show the hidden buttons and for the most part, Don't really do anything.
You could try this:
you can always update the game to a newer renpy version (i would suggest makeing a backup of the whole game first just in case the new engine is not compatible with the code from the old game)

this has worked well for me almost every time i have attempted it.

on a side note this also worked to repair/replace missing or sabotaged engine files that the dev messed with to try to prevent decompilation

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Jonboy80

Dec 8, 2017
The ability to change multiple values at the same time would be nice.

Like, if there were four stats you wanted to set to 100, you could tick them all and type 100 only once.

cajunguy

Sep 1, 2020
I keep getting this error after saving some variables. please help. I am using 1.9.3

Last edited:

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
The ability to change multiple values at the same time would be nice.

Like, if there were four stats you wanted to set to 100, you could tick them all and type 100 only once.
I like the idea, but will be tricky because of different variable types.
But I noted it to have a look some time.

I keep getting this error after saving some variables. please help. I am using 1.9.3

This is because the devs of this game used the variable sys for a character. This variable is used internally by Ren'Py. So they broke Ren'Py by doing this (so it's not an URM issue)

cajunguy

Sep 1, 2020
I like the idea, but will be tricky because of different variable types.
But I noted it to have a look some time.

This is because the devs of this game used the variable sys for a character. This variable is used internally by Ren'Py. So they broke Ren'Py by doing this (so it's not an URM issue)
Thanks for your quick response it is much appreciated.

CCrusader

Nov 29, 2020
0x52 Long road home v0.8.5 doesn't even start. Throws this error at launch.

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/00start.rpy", line 207, in script call
    call _gl_test
  File "renpy/common/00gltest.rpy", line 388, in script
    with None
    call _gl_test
    with None
KeyError: u'x52URM'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "renpy/bootstrap.py", line 331, in bootstrap
    renpy.main.main()
  File "renpy/main.py", line 662, in main
    run(restart)
  File "renpy/main.py", line 148, in run
    renpy.execution.run_context(True)
  File "renpy/execution.py", line 922, in run_context
    context.run()
    call _gl_test
    with None
    call _gl_test
    with None
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 1443, in execute
    renpy.exports.with_statement(trans, paired)
  File "renpy/exports.py", line 1684, in with_statement
    return renpy.game.interface.do_with(trans, paired, clear=clear)
  File "renpy/display/core.py", line 2755, in do_with
    self.with_none()
  File "renpy/display/core.py", line 2782, in with_none
    for layer, d in self.compute_scene(scene_lists).items():
  File "renpy/display/core.py", line 2938, in compute_scene
    raw[layer] = d = scene_lists.make_layer(layer, self.layer_properties[layer])
KeyError: u'x52URM'

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.11.2266
Long Road Home 0.8.5
Thu Jul 14 23:06:31 2022

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Long road home v0.8.5 doesn't even start. Throws this error at launch.
No -- and yes.

The game version 0.8.5 runs perfectly fine with URM v1.9.3.
But if you're using the "Image Enhancement Mod" (together with URM), then the game will crash on start.

It's not an issue of the game, but the mod.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0x52 and CCrusader

Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
You know how in some games they have hidden images you have to find, can this be used to find them and unlock them, how do you do that.

vimey

Nov 29, 2020
You know how in some games they have hidden images you have to find, can this be used to find them and unlock them, how do you do that.
In some games you can it depends if you know how to search for example use label search and search for 'hidden' or 'image' and watch one by one if you found them

Hyperserver

often the biggest step forward is to "step back"
Donor
Jun 30, 2018
URM isn't Ren'Py 8 compatible yet. This Ren'Py is a prerelease version not meant for production only for testing
gotcha - just wonder why a lot of developers use this f*ing renpy 8 for now then (happened to 3 games already)

Reactions: MrBenny and vimey

Hyperserver

often the biggest step forward is to "step back"
Donor
Jun 30, 2018
Sorry about that you can do a lot with URM but most of the games are not that easy to manipulate
well - unren helped (just need to get the latest version of unren - guess 13 it is). Aside that, you need exactly to know what you are doing. Basicially you need to know how to code.
For example:
in game appartmentB, you will find your money as object.
To figure out what attribute you need to cheat:
dir(money)
You will see that the attribute is called "value"
To cheat money you then need to console -> money.value = XXX
kinda hard if you don't know Python code (how to get values and how to see list of object's attributes)

Funny sidenote:
the object "money" also has a value "day" ........
I guess not even the developer knows why he did and what he did :eek::ROFLMAO:

1657908105400.png

Last edited:
Reactions: vimey

Divide_By_Zero

Jr. Uploader
Sep 4, 2017
Possibly. It would really depend on the implementation. This can modify the variables which are usually set (often as persistents) that toggles the Lock/Unlock in gallery. Other games use Dict sets and add in the item when you find it...

Honestly if you are looking to do find the items there is another way to do this which i think balances the experience of the player vs the dev intended better.

The following ideas are a bit more work but ive used them before to make the items Easier without skipping the experience fully. it was worth it to preserve the intended experience... sometimes lol

Try this:

(Option 1a ) You can use URM to discover the variables or dict sets by enabling wildcard search and search *

Use Unren to unpack the game.

(Option 1b) Open the scripts in a text editor and skim through to find the hidden items.
You want he corresponding filename for the image in the game folder.

(Option 2a) Once you have the image names just go into the game folder and edit the images making them brighter or highlighting them in a photo editor making them static but stand out better

or...

(Option 2b) You can also use the Image variable definition script to make the image "blink" by making a copy and editing it to make it darker. Then change the image definition to create a tiny animation:

then in the script where the screen is defined change the image used for the button (hidden object)

in fact... now that i think about it i wonder...

0x52 do you think it would be possible to automate this type of thing... not editing images of course... but maybe a alpha transform that could somehow (probably by input) substitute a static imagebutton for the alpha transformed animation? Maybe a toggle to enable the substitutions without overwriting game files? or even something along the lines of a trigger key or Urm option to mark user defined screens that are special like hidden objects? Maybe it could overlay a Star or whatever in a corner to indicate look closer?

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes