Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.1.4] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

Happy4now

Aug 28, 2017
Thanks you for the details. This issue only seems to occur with Ren'Py 7.4.11.2266.
I have some questions about this:
  1. Are you able to reproduce this or is it random?
  2. Did you get the error with exactly URM 1.9.2? (not an earlier version)
  3. Have you used URM before 1.9 on this exact game without any issues?

URM isn't Ren'Py 8 compatible yet. This Ren'Py is a prerelease version not meant for production only for testing
I guess the developer of Pale Carnation likes to be ahead of the curve then. I just saw this running the compressed version of PaleCarnations-Ch3Up4 with URM 1.9.2:
Code:
I'm sorry, but errors were detected in your script. Please correct the
errors listed below, and try again.

File "game/0x52/classes/settings.rpy", line 45: invalid syntax
                except Exception, e:
                                 ^

File "game/0x52/framework/API.rpy", line 95: invalid syntax
                    except Exception, e:
                                     ^

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 8.0.0.22052602n
Mon Jun 13 14:28:18 2022
Guess I will have to use the custom mod for it.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Guess I will have to use the custom mod for it.
The original version of "Pale Carnation" is Ren'Py v7.3.5.606 and therefore does work with URM, only the compressed version (which is an unofficial, fan made release!) unfortunately is version 8 of Ren'Py.

Just use the original (uncompressed) version and enjoy the power of URM ;)

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: 0x52 and Garen

URMfollower22

Jun 5, 2022
Well, the easiest way would have been to make sure the flag is set when presented with the choice.
There is a choice in scr_ch4.rpy to set the flag to either True or False (during label ch4_claude):
The problem was that there never was that choice. The Choice is a chapter 1 Choice. So, I did exactly as you said.

I typed the script.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

It showed the variable

And still didn't take the path

The active path is still false...

What am I fucking up?... and how are you geniuses able to figure all this out without going nuts?

I'm leaving little tufts of my hair all around my chair from pulling them out in frustration (nah, that's a lie... I'm basically bald already, hehe)

Any chance it's a dev / programming issue? No response by the actual dev in that thread btw. Maybe I should do everyone a favour and just "nope" the game... but I really want to start learning more about this awesome URM program... so I really want to try and fix this.

With URM, I can just edit a game to make it EXACTLY what I want and not bother everyone with countless "Could you add CONTENT X to this game?" when I can do it myself at least with dialogue.

(Side note = THANKS so much to 0x52 for this great product!)

StarCrafted

Jul 13, 2020
The problem was that there never was that choice. The Choice is a chapter 1 Choice. So, I did exactly as you said.

I typed the script.

It showed the variable

And still didn't take the path

What am I fucking up?... and how are you geniuses able to figure all this out without going nuts?

I'm leaving little tufts of my hair all around my chair from pulling them out in frustration (nah, that's a lie... I'm basically bald already, hehe)

Any chance it's a dev / programming issue? No response by the actual dev in that thread btw. Maybe I should do everyone a favour and just "nope" the game... but I really want to start learning more about this awesome URM program... so I really want to try and fix this.

With URM, I can just edit a game to make it EXACTLY what I want and not bother everyone with countless "Could you add CONTENT X to this game?" when I can do it myself at least with dialogue.

(Side note = THANKS so much to 0x52 for this great product!)
Did you scroll before the check was done and only then defined the variable?
The ChkChoice code seems legit for me. I downloaded the game out of curiosity and extracted the .rpy's.
Attach your save before the check that doesn't seem to pass please.
Even if this isn't an URM issue, I'm curious to check.

Last edited:
Reactions: URMfollower22

URMfollower22

Jun 5, 2022
Did you scroll before the check was done and only then defined the variable?
The ChkChoice code seems legit for me. I downloaded the game out of curiosity and extracted the .rpy's.
Attach your save before the check that doesn't seem to pass please.
Even if this isn't an URM issue, I'm curious to check.
Yes I did (sorry for the multi-edits, the website is doing a weird "cylon bar across the top" and fucking up the posts... or it's me... dunno which.

This should be the one. 7-4. It should be when you're about to say "Don't Drool" (god I love this site that I can say stuff like this). The new variable is seen with a simple urm search of Ch4. EDIT Just in case, I added both saves, 1 from Game/Save and the other from %appdata%... oh and thanks again for working so hard for someone else's game. View attachment 7-4-LT1.save

StarCrafted

Jul 13, 2020
I have no fucking idea what to say. Talk to the dev and tell them to fix their code. It's broken somewhere.
The chkChoice code doesn't register the "False" flag set to the damn variable.
I edited the code and set a simple if-then-else statement instead of the friggin function and it picked up the flag correctly.
Original code (does not see "False" flag):
Code:
    if chkChoice('ch4_claude_futa', False):
Modified code (sees "False" flag correctly):
Code:
    if ch4_claude_futa == False:
1655185252864.png
Attached are the functions .rpy file. I have no idea why the original code fails to pick up the flag.

Try and let the developer know and let's stop hijacking this thread, since it isn't an URM issue (URM works as intended with the modified code that picks up the "False" flag). Something's fucky in the game code itself.

Last edited:

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
To activate the path, you'll have to use a different code to set the variable. Instead of just setting it to "False", you'll need to use the "addChoice" function to do so:

Code:
addChoice('ch4_claude4_futa', False)
Then it'll work.

1655186307443.png
1655186381882.png

Last edited:
  • Yay, new update!
Reactions: StarCrafted

StarCrafted

Jul 13, 2020
To activate the path, you'll have to use a different code to set the variable. Instead of just setting it to "False", you'll need to use the "addChoice" function to do so:

Code:
addChoice('ch4_claude4_futa', False)
Then it'll work.

View attachment 1869672

View attachment 1869676
Damn, I guess sleeplessness fried my brain a bit. Thanks for clearing it up! Me, personally, I've learned something new today.

URMfollower22

Jun 5, 2022
I have no fucking idea what to say. Talk to the dev and tell them to fix their code. It's broken somewhere.

Try and let the developer know and let's stop hijacking this thread, since it isn't an URM issue (URM works as intended with the modified code that picks up the "False" flag). Something's fucky in the game code itself.
I already did, and crickets and I will drop it here. Thanks for helping. It's really really appreciated.

Sorry to https://f95zone.to/members/0x52.1426210/ for the extra posts. Please feel free to ask mods to delete any extraneous posts I've done. I didn't mean to bring my baggage to your thread. Past the half century mark so "web protocol"... kinda new at this.

EDIT = Anyone please pass this on. I don't want to bother 0.52 with a full discussion but "tagging" didn't work and instead made a link... on the plus side... I know how to turn my computer... on... :cry:

Last edited:

zerozip0

May 23, 2018
I am not sure if it is possible, but one feature I would like to see in the URM is the possibility to merge multiple paths/routes in a sequential way. By that I mean rearranging the paths so they are not mutally exclusive, but show after each other. Having that feature would give the URM users the option to only go through each VN once to see everything instead of multiple times to do so. Even if it might seem like I am aiming for the stars with this request, maybe we can a least hit the moon if take a shot? :love:

vimey

Nov 29, 2020
0x52 This game suppose to have choices outcomes like relationship love/lust ... but I didn't see anything when I have a choice it only happened once, here's some examples
Edit : after taking another look at the script the variables actually listed after the jump

Last edited:

fengyuan

Jun 8, 2021
View attachment 587373

Overview:
Easiest installation, open mod by pressing Alt+M

This mod is a great tool to cheat or debug Ren'Py games. See full Features list below for details.

Some features in short:
Find and change variables, detect hidden choices, detect paths, rename any character, find/save/replay scenes, watch variables

Updated: 2022-06-12
Game/Creator: Any Ren'Py game using Ren'Py engine 6.99.14 or newer
Modder: 0x52 -
Mod Version: 1.9.3

Features:

Roadmap:

Installation:

Change-Log:

After developing Ren'Py mods for almost a year now. I thought is was time to create the mod of all mods.
So here is what I call URM (or Universal Ren'Py Mod). The goal of this mod is to enable anyone (even without any programming knowledge) to be able to quickly and easily mod any Ren'Py game.
Just drop the mod file into your favorite game's "game" directory and start modding!

Please let me know what you think. I really appreciate any feedback, so I know I'm not doing this for nothing.
Or maybe consider supporting me or .

WARNING!
You could break your game modifying any variable. Use at your own risk!
Breaking the game depends on the game's programming. You could create set of values the game doesn't expect. Which for example could prevent you to progress in the game or miss certain scenes. I would recommend saving before modifying. So you could always go back if something unexpected happens.

Screenshots:
View attachment 1083993 View attachment 1083994 View attachment 1083995 View attachment 1083998 View attachment 1556197 View attachment 1084000 View attachment 1781739

Download:
or Attachment below​
May I ask the game name of the screen?

Andarilho

Apr 11, 2017
Hello, 0x52 !
I'm struggling to make the renaming function of your amazing mod (1.9.3) to work with Void's Calling Ep.1
Don't know if it has something to do with translation on the script.
When i search and click on the MC's name (Forlan), game returns this russian text.
i had a similar issue with the game MILFs of Sunville V4.00
Do you need any .rpy file to take a look?

Didn't have this issue with any games before.

Apr 1, 2018
Suggestion: Hello 0x52 If I'm not asking for to much I want to suggest. Can you make it so that when you have a variable/value on watch/remember or both it gives a notification pop-up on the side when those values change? like the automatic pop-up you get when there is a new path or hidden choice detected. I'm saying this because when you only have a few variables in your watch list noticing values change isn't a big problem, but when you have a lot of values in your watch list it can become a little hard to keep track of all the changing values. So a notification along the lines of "(Variable name) has changed from # --> #" would help. Thanks.

Last edited:

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
When i search and click on the MC's name (Forlan), game returns this russian text.
I just downloaded the game and tested it. If I use "Add text replacement" instead of "Renaming a character" and then replace "Forlan" with a new name, it worked for me (at least in the dialogues; I'm not familiar with this game at all, so I don't know if there will be other places where the character name will appear).

//

Edit: Well, I just had an instance where the name "Forlan" is still present, so you might be right and it might be a translation issue.

Reactions: Andarilho and 0x52

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
I am not sure if it is possible, but one feature I would like to see in the URM is the possibility to merge multiple paths/routes in a sequential way. By that I mean rearranging the paths so they are not mutally exclusive, but show after each other. Having that feature would give the URM users the option to only go through each VN once to see everything instead of multiple times to do so. Even if it might seem like I am aiming for the stars with this request, maybe we can a least hit the moon if take a shot? :love:
Unfortunately this is not possible in a reliable way, because different devs implement paths differently, so this will break some games.

Suggestion: Hello 0x52 If I'm not asking for to much I want to suggest. Can you make it so that when you have a variable/value on watch/remember or both it gives a notification pop-up on the side when those values change? like the automatic pop-up you get when there is a new path or hidden choice detected. I'm saying this because when you only have a few variables in your watch list noticing values change isn't a big problem, but when you have a lot of values in your watch list it can become a little hard to keep track of all the changing values. So a notification along the lines of "(Variable name) has changed from # --> #" would help. Thanks.
I'll see what I can do. I noted you request ;)

• Red Heart
Reactions: MyGirlsNowYoink

Andarilho

Apr 11, 2017
I just downloaded the game and tested it. If I use "Add text replacement" instead of "Renaming a character" and then replace "Forlan" with a new name, it worked for me (at least in the dialogues; I'm not familiar with this game at all, so I don't know if there will be other places where the character name will appear).

//

Edit: Well, I just had an instance where the name "Forlan" is still present, so you might be right and it might be a translation issue.
I tried to modify some of the .rpy files manually and it seemed to work just fine (even the battle UI), but today when i loaded my save to keep playing...poof! the changes are gonne and it's Forlan all over again :mad:

Apr 1, 2018
0x52 This game suppose to have choices outcomes like relationship love/lust ... but I didn't see anything when I have a choice it only happened once, here's some examples
Edit : after taking another look at the script the variables actually listed after the jump
Bump. I also been having this "problem" which I'm sure there is a simple solution to but I'm probably missing something here to know it.

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes