Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.1.4] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
if i got it right he/she wanted to change the color and/or italic of the text
Right, that wasn't part of the original question (at least I didn't get it from there), it was then mentioned in the reply after I wrote a short instruction on how to replace text :)

I'm not sure if you can replace or change text colors at all with URM, unless you use the new "Textboxes" feature, which then will replace all the textboxes of course with custom settings.

Reactions: Boehser Onkel

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
I'm not sure if you can replace or change text colors at all with URM, unless you use the new "Textboxes" feature, which then will replace all the textboxes of course with custom settings.
The textbox feature can change the color when it's set at character level. NOT when it's defined inside the text (with a {color}-tag).

URM is able to replace the {color}-tag. For example when a character is saying this:
{color=#999}Some text{/color} it would be a grey text (color code #999)
You could replace this {color}-tag like this:
1690880980205.png
That would make the text dark red (color code #900) for example.

Shiva11

Feb 8, 2018
Right, that wasn't part of the original question (at least I didn't get it from there), it was then mentioned in the reply after I wrote a short instruction on how to replace text :)

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. For example I can define text characteristics for the character Banu which works fine for the things she says out loud. However it doesn't affect the text in the example which is text that she is thinking. What I want to find is where the characteristics are given for the text she and other characters are thinking. I have looked through all the character names using the Universal Ren'Py Mod but none of them appear to be related to character thoughts or narrator commentary.
So the question is, How can I find the attributes assigned to this type of text and where do I modify these attributes?

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
So the question is, How can I find the attributes assigned to this type of text and where do I modify these attributes?
Now that we know the game, I was able to look into its code -- and together with the solution 0x52 provided earlier, here's how you can do it.

I used "unren" to unpack and decode the actual game code, then searched for the line I saw in your screenshot. Instead of searching for the code, you could also use unren to enable the "Developer menu", and when in game, hit Shift+D and select "Interactive Director (D)", which will display the line of code at the very top:
1690905058377.png

So in the code those lines are coded as follow:
1690905102071.png

So we can do exactly what 0x52 said: replace "{color=#526168}" with "{color=#WhateverColorYouWant}":
1690904587967.png

Before:
1690904633923.png

After:
1690904679641.png

This even works together with URM's customized textbox!

Hope that helps! :)

Shiva11

Feb 8, 2018
Now that we know the game, I was able to look into its code -- and together with the solution 0x52 provided earlier, here's how you can do it.

I used "unren" to unpack and decode the actual game code, then searched for the line I saw in your screenshot. Instead of searching for the code, you could also use unren to enable the "Developer menu", and when in game, hit Shift+D and select "Interactive Director (D)", which will display the line of code at the very top:

So in the code those lines are coded as follow:

So we can do exactly what 0x52 said: replace "{color=#526168}" with "{color=#WhateverColorYouWant}":

Before:

After:

This even works together with URM's customized textbox!

Hope that helps! :)
That should do the job I'm trying to do. It looks like all the instances of character thoughts and narrator commentary are hard coded in the way you showed rather than being assigned to a character name as the dialogue is (I think). Now I'll just have to look up the number for the color white and follow your instructions to get what I'm looking for.
Thanks so much for taking the time to look into my question and for giving such a clear answer.

Chrisdarock19

Oct 15, 2018
That should do the job I'm trying to do. It looks like all the instances of character thoughts and narrator commentary are hard coded in the way you showed rather than being assigned to a character name as the dialogue is (I think). Now I'll just have to look up the number for the color white and follow your instructions to get what I'm looking for.
Thanks so much for taking the time to look into my question and for giving such a clear answer.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Shiva11

Feb 8, 2018
et voilà - Now the character's thoughts are displayed as I intended (in white).
screenshot0012.png

Many thanks to all the wonderful people who helped make this possible.

Apr 4, 2021
I can't use parasite black modify from that list, there notepad pop out say something like "im sorry, but uncaught exception occurred. Help please

Tommyfreddy3

May 9, 2020
i got a question about this mod. does this mod work well with love & sex second base. sorry if this has been asked before

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
i got a question about this mod. does this mod work well with love & sex second base. sorry if this has been asked before
Have you tried using URM with this game?
Have you tried searching for "love & sex" in this particular URM thread?

If you had searched this thread, you would have found at least this comment about how buggy the game itself is (was) in the first place, which had nothing to do with URM. But looking at the game thread and the "Changelog" in the OP as of today, they fixed a lot (and again, I mean A LOT) of bugs within the game, so it might be worth a try. But judging from how many bugs this game had in the past, I'm not very optimistic that any new version is "bug free"... ;-)

Apr 4, 2021
you are using an outdated version of urm
download the newest urm.rpa at the OP
https://f95zone.to/threads/universal-renpy-mod-1-15-2-mod-any-renpy-game-yourself.48025/

replace the 0x52_urm.rpa in your game folder
Already use latest version of Urm n test the modify code from parasite black on the list but not working at all for example "mc1.hp n many more n there is the case when i try code "goldgain it can modify with Urm but after battle the code reset again. Please check

Last edited:

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
Already use latest version of Urm n test the modify code from parasite black on the list but not working at all for example "mc1.hp n many more n there is the case when i try code "goldgain it can modify with Urm but after battle the code reset again. Please check
extract attached zip into mainfolder (where the exe is)

activated the inbuild cheat/dev menu

Screenshot_2.png Screenshot_3.png

i am not updating this Link
there are massive code changes and i have no time for - maybe if i am bored these days i take another look
but ... baldurs gate 3 is out ,sooo :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Undead22ashole
Apr 4, 2021
extract attached zip into mainfolder (where the exe is)

activated the inbuild cheat/dev menu

View attachment 2821481 View attachment 2821485

i am not updating this Link
there are massive code changes and i have no time for - maybe if i am bored these days i take another look
but ... baldurs gate 3 is out ,sooo :ROFLMAO:
it works but i need to start all over again, any idea how to use this feature on save file?

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes