Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.1.4] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
A question can we use this mod to get around the patron wall?
Depends on what you mean by that. If you mean if you can use URM to unlock subscriber (Patreon, Subscribestar etc.) only content, the answer is: it depends. It Depends on how it's coded into the game, for some games it does work, for others it's a bit trickier or doesn't even work at all. If you tell us what game you're thinking about, I'd love to check...

_Daxx_

Jan 11, 2021
Wanted to start off by saying that I'm a big fan of this mod & use it with pretty much every AVN that I play. I have however, recently run into an issue with Cyberheart where it doesn't seem to work in the way that I'm used to. I will get a notification popup in the top left corner if I am about to unlock a character bio, but I can't get it to alert me when it comes to actual choices. I tend to use this in place of a walkthrough mod, or in addition to one, so that I can see the outcome of certain choices & I will always know if a decision will positively or negatively affect a character. Sadly I am unable to with this VN.

Is there a fix or workaround known for this, or is it simply a case of this mod won't work how I usually use it for this title?

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Is there a fix or workaround known for this, or is it simply a case of this mod won't work how I usually use it for this title?
I've just looked at the code for this game, and the dev created their own way to do "choices" -- a way which URM just can't detect as a choice.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Mister Player

May 9, 2023
I dont know whether this topic was suggested or discussed but I have a suggestion. There are some games where urm is unable to help us detect the codes (like the one above and like matrix hearts, alexandra and some more) for that some of us (at least I) use monitoring the desired variables. My suggestion is (if possible of course) the colour can be changed of the notification. Like say (in the game matrix hearts) if variable Romxia increases the colour is say yellow (or any other colour) and if that same decreases then the notification is red.... This way we donot have to look into the notification to know whether it increased or decreased.

It is just a suggestion though, for roadmap or for future updates.

Edit : if there are any other alternate ways to monitor or get notified in these games are always better anyways...

Last edited:

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
I dont know whether this topic was suggested or discussed but I have a suggestion. There are some games where urm is unable to help us detect the codes (like the one above and like matrix hearts, alexandra and some more) for that some of us (at least I) use monitoring the desired variables. My suggestion is (if possible of course) the colour can be changed of the notification. Like say (in the game matrix hearts) if variable Romxia increases the colour is say yellow (or any other colour) and if that same decreases then the notification is red.... This way we donot have to look into the notification to know whether it increased or decreased.

It is just a suggestion though, for roadmap or for future updates.

Edit : if there are any other alternate ways to monitor or get notified in these games are always better anyways...
That's already something on the list to improve

SinsSangSans

Mar 8, 2018
Depends on what you mean by that. If you mean if you can use URM to unlock subscriber (Patreon, Subscribestar etc.) only content, the answer is: it depends. It Depends on how it's coded into the game, for some games it does work, for others it's a bit trickier or doesn't even work at all. If you tell us what game you're thinking about, I'd love to check...
To elaborate on my question I mean to get around things like this Screenshot (1).png

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
It'll help if you just name the game, as I don't know every game on this darn fricking website :ROFLMAO: And if you could share a save file for it as well, that would make things so much easier to test it -- thanks a lot in advance!
the name is at the tab to see ;)
but yeah - more infos would do it...

Reactions: theMickey_

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
the name is at the tab to see ;)
Thanks for pointing that out -- didn't realize at first!

So I've checked this game, and it seems like there are different versions of this game ("Public" and "Full" versions), and this board only features the "Public" version of the game. URM is able to show some of the "For Patrons only" scenes, because they're still included -- although the choice is disabled in game, you can use URM to play the scene anyways (in "Replay Mode" or just normal):

1691475707511.png

Then I read in the game's thread that you can't unlock features of the "training room" (or whatever it's called -- I have no idea how to get there, so a save file would be still nice) because those features are just not included in the public version. I might be wrong, but without having a save file to test it myself, it's hard to tell...

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
Thanks for pointing that out -- didn't realize at first!

So I've checked this game, and it seems like there are different versions of this game ("Public" and "Full" versions), and this board only features the "Public" version of the game. URM is able to show some of the "For Patrons only" scenes, because they're still included -- although the choice is disabled in game, you can use URM to play the scene anyways (in "Replay Mode" or just normal):

View attachment 2835606

Then I read in the game's thread that you can't unlock features of the "training room" (or whatever it's called -- I have no idea how to get there, so a save file would be still nice) because those features are just not included in the public version. I might be wrong, but without having a save file to test it myself, it's hard to tell...
focking paywall
i drop those games like a hot potato

btw - still busy with baldurs gate 3 , so not much support from me next time :ROFLMAO:

owtgaws

Dec 7, 2018
Unfortunately this dev caused an issue within Ren'Py itself. I could only fix this by overruling Ren'Py's build-in function SetLocalVariable(), which I don't want to do.

I have a work-around for you:
  1. Open the file renpy/common/00action_data.rpy
  2. Find the line def SetLocalVariable(name, value): (line 161)
  3. Add a line bellow that one containing: import sys

Details:
They assigned a character to the variable sys, which is a because it's use by Ren'Py internally.
Be doing this they broke a function inside Ren'Py that URM needs.
This doesn't seem to work anymore for the Wife Trainer Files anymore for some reason. URM doesn't outright break the game but some variables like player.energy which I can edit in the console are nowhere to found in URM. Also, "def SetLocalVariable" is on line 167 now and adding "import sys" causes the error in the attached file on startup. (I don't know why it isn't named traceback.txt and doesn't have a full traceback either that's all the game gave me)

Edit: It seems renaming crashes the game I just hadn't tried it before. I actually got a real traceback file this time too. yay?

Last edited:

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
This doesn't seem to work anymore for the Wife Trainer Files anymore for some reason. URM doesn't outright break the game but some variables like player.energy which I can edit in the console are nowhere to found in URM. Also, "def SetLocalVariable" is on line 167 now and adding "import sys" causes the error in the attached file on startup. (I don't know why it isn't named traceback.txt and doesn't have a full traceback either that's all the game gave me)

Edit: It seems renaming crashes the game I just hadn't tried it before. I actually got a real traceback file this time too. yay?
Screenshot_5.png

Reactions: 0x52 and theMickey_

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
This doesn't seem to work anymore for the Wife Trainer Files anymore for some reason.
I wanted to test it myself, but I can't even figure out how to play this game, so I won't be much of a help.

One more thing though, apart from what Boehser Onkel already mentioned about searching for variable names that contain a "." (dot): looking at the errors.txt file you posted, it's pretty obvious that you've tried to edit the 00action_data.rpy file and most probably your editor did some "auto indent" using TAB characters, which is not allowed in Ren'Py code. If you use Notepad++, edit the file again, and then select "Edit" --> "Blank Operations" --> "TAB to spaces" (which will replace all TAB with spaces), and then save again. If you use a different editor, check line 168 of that file and replace TAB with spaces manually.

Tiur

Nov 13, 2021
I noticed something with custom textboxes that's probably a feature request rather than anything URM is doing wrong.

When a dev uses multiple to show people talking at the same time, the URM custom textbox just shows them both in the same space, overlapping entirely. This seems to be a pretty commonly-used feature, so having a way to properly display it could be useful.

Example in script for the game Evermore:
Python:
    with dissolve
    e "Whaaat!" (multiple=2)
    j "Whaaat!" (multiple=2)
The multiple is defined in screens.rpy:
Python:
style block1_multiple2_say_window:
    xalign 0.5
    xfill True
    yalign 0.7
    ysize gui.textbox_height

background Image("gui/textbox.png", xalign=0.5, yalign=0.7)

style block2_multiple2_say_window:
    xalign 0.5
    xfill True
    yalign gui.textbox_yalign
    ysize gui.textbox_height

background Image("gui/textbox.png", xalign=0.5, yalign=1.0)

Reactions: Boehser Onkel
5.00 star(s) 33 Votes