Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.1.4] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
After that all texts are missing or hidden i can't see any letters.
I was able to reproduce that, and it's kinda weird... In "Full" mode you can see any background you set, but all the text is -- as you said -- invisible, and no matter what I tried to change the text to, it stays invisible.
1695198439370.png

But it's working on light mode.
Is it though? If I switch to "Light" mode, I can see no customization at all, it just looks the same as without URM...
1695198548742.png

• Sad
Reactions: Belzeebub

ArunPrime

Nov 5, 2022
I was able to reproduce that, and it's kinda weird... In "Full" mode you can see any background you set, but all the text is -- as you said -- invisible, and no matter what I tried to change the text to, it stays invisible.
View attachment 2943428
Thanks for checking.
I want to hide textbox and change text size so thats why I'm using full mode. This is the first time I'm seeing this in URM. I think this is game problem and I don't know what the problem in the game

Is it though? If I switch to "Light" mode, I can see no customization at all, it just looks the same as without URM...
View attachment 2943433
Yes. Only we can change text sizes.

Nameless9000

Apr 23, 2023
Great tool, it saved lots of time. But there is one annoying thing (or it could just be me not knowing how to fully use the tool): Sub-variables cannot be found using the variable search e.g. Player.points.

I also have a suggestion: The ability to inject custom code into the game or edit code from prompts, I'm not sure if that's even possible with the limitations of Ren'Py but it would be an extremely useful feature when modding your games.

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Not sure if this has already been covered here but I discovered that if you rename a character and then add a text replacement that does the same renaming for the dialogues, this has the effect of undoing your rename and the end result is no change at all.
You may ask why would anyone do such a silly thing as renaming the character in two places and this is a valid question.
My thought was that perhaps the renaming is only done for the name in the Namebox. So to cover my bases I decided it would be a good idea to do the text replacement for the name as well. Unfortunately this results in no name change in either place. Took me a while to figure out what I had done wrong so I decided to post this notice in order that others who use this application will not fall into the same pitfall.
I can't reproduce this. Do you have an example where and how you get this?

Hi dev,
I'm applied textbox customisation in full mode on affexon game latest update.
After that all texts are missing or hidden i can't see any letters.
But it's working on light mode.
I wanted to hide textbox so I'm tried in full mode then all letters are invisible.
I don't know what I'm missing. Any idea about this
Seems that they're using some custom text positioning that's passed through to URM's textbox.
Will be fixed in a future release ;)

I also have a suggestion: The ability to inject custom code into the game or edit code from prompts, I'm not sure if that's even possible with the limitations of Ren'Py but it would be an extremely useful feature when modding your games.
Theoretically it can be done, but I think it's not something that will be used a lot. Do you have an example use case?

Reactions: theMickey_

Nameless9000

Apr 23, 2023
Yeah, I read that before. It might just be something up with the game.

Seems that they're using some custom text positioning that's passed through to URM's textbox.
Will be fixed in a future release ;)

Theoretically it can be done, but I think it's not something that will be used a lot. Do you have an example use case?
A way of injecting or editing code could be very useful for more complex games e.g. RPG visual novels. It would allow you to access variables that are cannot be searched for (could just be 1.15.2 being buggy though), it would also allow you to call internal functions that could otherwise not be accessed or used. You would also have the bonus feature of being able to manipulate objects easily using code instead of the GUI-based editor (can be a bit laggy sometimes).

If you would like an example of a game this could be used in, I recently played a game called . There are many things that could be cheated in the game that just cannot due to the current limitations of URM. Most the values just cannot be found using the variable search e.g. "Zalt", the player object. I'm not sure if there are many games like this but it would 100% assist in modding those games.

Shiva11

Feb 8, 2018

First example I found was in a game called Our Fate (now discontinued) https://f95zone.to/threads/our-fate-a-new-family-v0-15-se-cedsense.7220/ Here's a screen capture from the game after I changed the name of the character from Angela to Ruby.
screenshot0053.png

You will notice that the name is changed in the name box but not in the text.
Here is the rule I used:
2023-09-26_222732.png

I checked a few other places in the game and the name is not changed in the text in any of them.
Now I add a rule to change all instances of Angela to Ruby using Text Replacement:
2023-09-26_222915.png

The result is that the name change in the name box is gone and the text is still not changed.

screenshot0056.png

Perhaps it's something unique to this game but I recall doing the same thing in another game with the same results.

One other thing I should mention is that when I add the new Text Replacement rule it doesn't show up in the list of text replacements, probably because the rule already matches an existing Renaming rule. Even though it's technically not a renaming rule but a text replacement rule - if that makes sense.

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
First example I found was in a game called Our Fate ...
That's an easy one to solve ;)

The Name "Angela" is stored in a Variable, so you'll just have to change the content of this Variable:
1695789870474.png

If you change those variables to Ruby/Young Ruby as well, you're golden:
1695789911103.png

As soon as you change those variables, the "Rename a character" thing is not needed anymore. Changing the variables is all you need to achieve the desired result.

Hope that helps. Enjoy! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 0x52 and Shiva11

Shiva11

Feb 8, 2018

The Name "Angela" is stored in a Variable, so you'll just have to change the content of this Variable:

As soon as you change those variables, the "Rename a character" thing is not needed anymore. Changing the variables is all you need to achieve the desired result.

Thanks so much for your quick reply. Let me say that the more I use your utility the more I like it! Really appreciate all the time and effort you put into designing and maintaining this tool.

Let me ask how I should go about determining that "Angela" is stored as a Variable as you point out and not as a Name as I was treating it? Is it just a matter of trying the Renaming option first to see if that works properly or is there a more elegant way to go about this?

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Let me say that the more I use your utility the more I like it! Really appreciate all the time and effort you put into designing and maintaining this tool.
Aww, thank you for your kind words! But I think you should address those to 0x52, who's the actual developer of this mod :LOL:

Let me ask how I should go about determining that "Angela" is stored as a Variable as you point out and not as a Name as I was treating it? Is it just a matter of trying the Renaming option first to see if that works properly or is there a more elegant way to go about this?
I tried the renaming thing first just to see if I could reproduce your issue, and to see if checking some extra boxes would have helped (like replacing text instead of renaming a character etc.) -- but nothing was replacing "Angela" in the actual text. Which means, the actual text does not contain the word "Angela" at all, but something like "It's me, <VARIBALE_NAME>, your ex-girlfriend..." (ignore the syntax, it's just an example).

So I switched from replacing/renaming to searching variables...

Shiva11

Feb 8, 2018
Aww, thank you for your kind words! But I think you should address those to 0x52, who's the actual developer of this mod :LOL:

I tried the renaming thing first just to see if I could reproduce your issue, and to see if checking some extra boxes would have helped (like replacing text instead of renaming a character etc.) -- but nothing was replacing "Angela" in the actual text. Which means, the actual text does not contain the word "Angela" at all, but something like "It's me, <VARIBALE_NAME>, your ex-girlfriend..." (ignore the syntax, it's just an example).

So I switched from replacing/renaming to searching variables...
Well there's egg on my face. You answer so many questions in this forum that I was thinking you were the developer. o_O
Let's just say you've done a lot to help all of us users understand just what this utility can do and to show us how to do that.

• Red Heart

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
First example I found was in a game called Our Fate (now discontinued) https://f95zone.to/threads/our-fate-a-new-family-v0-15-se-cedsense.7220/ Here's a screen capture from the game after I changed the name of the character from Angela to Ruby.

Seems like a bug. theMickey_'s workaround is fine for now, but this modifies the character definition.
I will investigate this in the future, because renaming should of course work for this.

Is it possible to re-bind the hotkeys for M and Alt+M to something else?
Might be added in the future

Apr 26, 2022
Hello, could someone help me? Previously, in the panel, lss images_tag appeared and I could replace one image with another but I don't feel like it anymore. Does anyone know what I should do to make that option appear again?

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Previously, in the panel, lss images_tag appeared and I could replace one image with another but I don't feel like it anymore.
I'm not 100% sure, but I do think you're confusing URM with another mod?!
URM never had an option to replace images AFAIK, so you're probably thinking of something different...

Unless I misread your question, and you're talking about a specific game where you have a variable or so to display a certain image, which you could then replace to show another picture. But if that's the case, it would be great if you could give more details (like the name of the game, and what you've replaced in the past), so we can try to reproduce or figure out what's the issue is all about.

Apr 26, 2022
I'm not 100% sure, but I do think you're confusing URM with another mod?!
URM never had an option to replace images AFAIK, so you're probably thinking of something different...

Unless I misread your question, and you're talking about a specific game where you have a variable or so to display a certain image, which you could then replace to show another picture. But if that's the case, it would be great if you could give more details (like the name of the game, and what you've replaced in the past), so we can try to reproduce or figure out what's the issue is all about.
Maybe this image will help, in the part marked in red I could replace the image of the forgiveness that appeared in the logo but not now, that option allowed me to change an image of one character with that of another

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes